• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

January Trip. I must be losing my mind. Help me find it.

I don‘t really have anything else to add that hasn‘t been said, but I will say as someone who “surprised” her sister with a stay at the DLH vs the Harbour hotel she thought we were staying at - that surprise still gives me goosebumps! Like I’m tearing up thinking about it right now.

Also, just cause it bears mentioning - a lot of SoCal schools go back the 3rd and the SoCal ticket offer doesn’t start until the 9th so you may have picked an ideal time to visit. Have a blast and I hope more magic is coming your son’s way!!!

EDIT: Ok, I lied. I forgot to mention I love Tangaroa Terrace for breakfast - the Loco Moco burrito (get extra gravy) and Tangaroa Toast (think: Tonga Toast from WDW). Also it bears mentioning that the aforementioned Dole Whip can be ordered with rum… and enjoyed in the hot tub. Just sayin’…
You can also get some of the ice creams sold inside the parks at Tangaroa like Mickey ice cream bars and ice cream sandwiches. 😋

Now you're speaking my language...I was going to ask about hot tubs since It's probably going to be a little chilly for the pool. I'll need to sneak bathing suits for the wife and kiddo.
Bring your suits, you never know with our wacky weather! My son was born in January and I’ll never forget driving home from the hospital with him and it was randomly 80 degrees.

When you stay at DLH, the monorail becomes a viable travel option to help with your aching feet. Don’t forget to consider its proximity to where you’re at before walking all the way through DD.

As for breakfast, we would usually get Starbucks, but it looks like it doesn’t open as early now. So, that’s not as convenient as it used to be. Or sometimes we’d have some snacks in the room to hold us over for a bit in the morning. Then we’d grab a late breakfast in the park after we’d taken advantage of the short wait times.

I stayed at DLH after many many trips staying offsite. I think my mentality was similar to yours. We really enjoyed our stay. However, I am a little sad that my commando, go, go, go style of touring did not allow us to enjoy they hotel as much as we should have. Upon leaving I was disappointed that we didn't spend more time enjoying and exploring the hotel, it is lovely and I know we missed a lot. So, don't make my mistake, take a minute to stop and smell the roses :)

I’m so excited for your family! Surprising them is gonna be a lot of fun, and I’m sure your son is going to feel extra special!

We went in late May/early June and really didn’t have the best trip. Genie+ return times were always really far out, ride breakdowns and huge crowds at times. We went back in early November and had one of our best trips ever (despite a lot of other less than stellar trip reports on here)!

We’re in NorCal too and a lot of schools around us have that 1st week of January off. But you’re a pro, and can prepare for crowds!
Having EE will definitely be a plus too!

When we stay on-site and do EE, we always bring a little something to get us started…yogurt and granola, instant oatmeal, or cereal and milk. We’ll either bring a snack into the park (trail mix or energy bar), OR we’ll just grab breakfast in the park around 10-ish. We usually make sure we have disposable to-go coffee cups with lids in the room. Can’t remember the coffee cup situation at DLH but some hotels don’t have lids for their paper cups.

I hope you guys have an extra magical trip!!!

The only thing I'm kinda stressed about now is breakfast before EE - looks like the only real option before hitting the security line is the Coffee House, unless I want to send someone to grab Starbucks at 7 after we get through security while I get in line at the gate. For those of you who have done EE, do you just bring food to keep in the room and use the in-room coffee maker? Or is the Coffee House a viable option at 6am? I know when we went in April DTD Starbucks wasn't doing mobile order and it took forever to get our drinks etc to where I was worried my hunting party wouldn't make rope drop (they did, but barely).
The Coffee House always seems to have a ridiculously long wait. I don't know about right at 6:00 a.m., but we usually avoid it. The rooms have refrigerators. It is easy to keep some type of breakfast food in the room. Unfortunately there used to be 2 Starbucks in DTD until they closed and demolished one of them earlier this year--- they were crowded when there were 2--but you could often do mobile order. I'm not sure if they still do mobile order at all since there is only 1-- we haven't been back since the other was demolished and it was hit or miss in 2021 as to whether they did mobile order.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Churro from the cart near the castle for breakfast and a coffee from the other cart near the castle. That has been our breakfast more than once-- sometimes before riding anything right when we walk in-- sometimes after a couple rides. In California Adventure there is also the pastry and coffee cart at the foot of the bridge near the Ariel ride. The line isn't usually overly long-- people flock to the Fiddler Fifer for Starbucks-- but last time we were there in 2021, the cart did have a long line one morning. First time, I had seen it like that.

For EE or RD we typically do: uncrustables, a banana and a Starbucks double shot for the adults - all ordered via Instacart to our room and eaten while waiting. Then we’ll grab a chimichanga near big thunder or a churro later in the am. Or both. LOL

La Brea Bakery also has an order online function, but I haven’t tried it for EE.

We occasionally stay at the resort hotels as a “splurge” for special occasions….like a bday or anniversary. DLH is our favorite on site hotel. I think you will love it!! Last time we only paid for a standard view and got the fantasy tower facing the parking lot….but we could see the fireworks and galaxys edge from our room. It was amazing!!

We were just there over TG and ate breakfast one day at the coffee house. You can mobile order, which was awesome. We placed our order on our walk over from the Westin. The coffee was really good and we all loved the chocolate croissants too.

I hope you all have a fantastic trip and I hope your son has the best bday ever at the happiest place on earth! Have so much fun!!

We love the Cappuccino Cart at DCA (at the entrance to the Pacific Wharf area, by the footbridge). I highly recommend placing a mobile order for it while you’re waiting to enter the park. It never used to be busy, but it was slammed every day on our last trip. Mobile order times were pushing out too far, and the standby line was really long. Another thing that now needs to be planned ahead🤦‍♀️

I'd buy muffins, cereal or yogurt or something for a quick start to the day, then go to Jolly Holiday for breakfast later on. They have Keurigs in the rooms, so it would be easy to make coffee before you head to the park.

After our April trip, which was fun, but felt like a ton of work and a lack of value, I swore I was going to take a break from DLR. There were a lot of factors in that feeling (we went before WOC/F! reopened, no fireworks, Rope Drop was a mess, not a lot of entertainment, and so on), and I was disenchanted with the management.

Fast forward to last week. My son's 14th birthday is the first week of January, and as we went down the list of places we could go, Disneyland was the only one that really seemed to pique his interest, and it killed me when he added "but dad is still mad at Disney, so that's probably not an option."

Now, I've softened a little since Chapek is out. I know there aren't going to be any changes anytime soon, but when the change happened it got me thinking about going back. I still feel conflicted, but honestly my son has always gotten the shaft since his birthday is right after Christmas and he's the third kid, so he often gets sort of overlooked birthday-wise.

So I put aside my petty squabbles with the mouse and started planning a trip far later than I usually like to. BWPPI was not available (our usual digs) but I managed to get a reservation at Del Sol. So I started planning...The new Early Entry stuff has had me a little tweaked in the head since it messes with my usual flow. I got a few dining reservations and have alerts set up for other stuff. We have to be back home on the 7th for an entrance exam, and his birthday is the 6th, so the plan is to Go down January 2, be in the parks the 3rd through the 5th, and then on the morning of the 6th (his actual birthday) before leaving in the afternoon to drive home (SF Bay Area).

Early Entry was in my head. I had checked for on-site reservations, but there were none to be had. Got up early this morning for work and noticed I had left the hotel reservation tab open on my computer. Refreshed it and a DLH room had come available.

I have always been a "I'll never stay at on-site. That money could be used for other things" guy. But something came over me and I booked that room. Over twice what Del Sol costs. I must be freaking out of my mind.

I haven't told my family. I am thinking I will let them believe that we're staying at Del Sol right up until I get off the freeway an exit early. Surprise family! Dad is suddenly not super cheap. Either that or dad finally caved now that EE is hotel guests only. Either way, get ready to have some freaking fun.

So, here's where I need some help. I'm a park commando Disney Veteran. I know the park.

The hotels...not so much.

What should I know going in? I'm excited to try out the vaunted the Disney Bubble. Are there things I need to know to make the most of this? I'm going to go research the crap out of EE and how that works now. But with regard to the hotel, should I just go for the ride and not overthink it? Or do I need to understand the hotel as well as the park to truly enjoy it? Were any of you non-on-site people once who became on-site-people? What was your experience?

TIA

We usually stay off site because we’re locals, and my husband can’t stomach the on-site hotel rates unless it’s a special occasion. We’ve stayed onsite twice…. And it’s amazing. We just returned from a staycation with my parents at the GCH, and we didn’t want to leave.

The resorts each have their own activities, and they should give you a schedule when you check in. I’ve never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel at Christmas, but the GCH had bell carolers, Santa, and a few other things. Definitely enjoy the resort… we left the parks after lunch on Wednesday and my crazy kids swam while we snuggled under coats and drank cocktails by the pool. We loved the lobby, and watched the fireworks from our room. It was great taking a midday break at the hotel. DLH has a quick service restaurant next to Trader Sam’s… when we stayed there we got a table outside and my mom and I had drinks from TS and picked up Dole Whips for the kids.

I’m so happy for you! Definitely utilize early entry… we were able to get a ton done in that 30 minutes. We’re staying at the DLH in April for my daughter’s birthday and I can’t wait!

I also wanted to add that the service at the GCH was incredible…. Every single cast member greeted us, and most used our names. One even referred to my 69 year old mother as Princess, which made her day. I’m sure the staff at the DLH is just as great. I’m completely spoiled now and thinking about getting a part time job to bankroll additional on-site hotel stays.

Last edited:
For those of you who have done EE, do you just bring food to keep in the room and use the in-room coffee maker? Or is the Coffee House a viable option at 6am?
At 6am the coffee house should be fine. Just know it can get busy and mobile ordering isn't always available early in the morning.

But uncrustables and individual cereal serving cups/bowls are our go to-s.

I love your plan! The family will be talking about this trip for the rest of their lives. We had always stayed at GCH but one year they were booked so we stayed at DH. The younger grandson, who was about 9, was not happy when he realized we weren't going to be at GCH. Then we got to our room and he saw the headboard lighting up with the castle design. He loved that and insisted we leave it on all night. You will never be content to stay off-site again. Yes it is expensive so we don't go often. But when we go, we want convenience and to be immersed in Disney. The grandsons are now heading to college and they still reminisce about Disneyland. You are making memories. You can't put a price on that.

I actually love getting breakfast at the Jazz Kitchen Express. Easy stop before the parks. And easy pick up from the hotel and back. We’ve also done evening cocktails from Trader Sam’s/Tangeroa Terrace… if it’s crowded, you can easily take back to your room or sit in the many areas at the hotel grounds. Mobile order is really easy too.

The coffee shop does have ridiculous long lines in the morning. And one year (2018 or 2019) I found their breakfast options bland. But Tangeroa Terrace has better options

The parks will still have holiday decor up until 1/6. Not sure about the hotels and downtown Disney. But DLH usually has a mid century holiday display for picture opportunities. Usually for Santa but fun for all. (Unless some random guests just wants to sit there scrolling his phone… grrr)

We love the Cappuccino Cart at DCA (at the entrance to the Pacific Wharf area, by the footbridge). I highly recommend placing a mobile order for it while you’re waiting to enter the park. It never used to be busy, but it was slammed every day on our last trip. Mobile order times were pushing out too far, and the standby line was really long. Another thing that now needs to be planned ahead🤦‍♀️
I think that is the one I was talking about-- didn't know it had a name! They do mobile order now? I bet that explains why it had a long line for the first time our last trip. We had never seen it like that before. Still better than the Fiddler Fifer (aka Starbucks) in CA that trip- DH stood in line for a full 45 minutes there on our last trip because DD wanted it so badly and they had some type of unique Halloween treat. The pretzel cart had a ridiculously long line due to mobile order that trip- first trip we didn't get a Mickey pretzel- the line was enormous and the earliest mobile order pick up time was 2 hours away.

At 6am the coffee house should be fine. Just know it can get busy and mobile ordering isn't always available early in the morning.

But uncrustables and individual cereal serving cups/bowls are our go to-s.
Where do you guys store them if your room isn't ready? Ice chest or something?

I actually love getting breakfast at the Jazz Kitchen Express. Easy stop before the parks. And easy pick up from the hotel and back. We’ve also done evening cocktails from Trader Sam’s/Tangeroa Terrace… if it’s crowded, you can easily take back to your room or sit in the many areas at the hotel grounds. Mobile order is really easy too.

The coffee shop does have ridiculous long lines in the morning. And one year (2018 or 2019) I found their breakfast options bland. But Tangeroa Terrace has better options

The parks will still have holiday decor up until 1/6. Not sure about the hotels and downtown Disney. But DLH usually has a mid century holiday display for picture opportunities. Usually for Santa but fun for all. (Unless some random guests just wants to sit there scrolling his phone… grrr)
Do you not need a reservation at Tiki Sam's if staying on site? You can just order drinks to go? How does that work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter