Jedi Training During the Most Crowded Time - Advice Needed

DisHopeful

Getting There is Half the Fun
We are taking a trip to WDW between Christmas and New Year's. Last time we went, Jedi Training was closed due to the addition of new characters (I believe). My son will be 11 so this is his last chance to participate.
What's creates the best chance for him signing up? Will just getting there early be enough to do it? Or do I need to get a Hollywood and Vine breakfast reservation (don't really want to eat there)? Is it better to go on a EMH day?
Any advice is welcome. This is my biggest goal of the trip. He's a huge fan.

We did Jedi Training on December 30 so one of the busiest days. We didn't get inside the park until 9:30 (9am open) because we'd just flown in on the red-eye. The line to sign up was about 30 minutes long but there were many shows still open. Maybe it was just a lucky fluke; I don't know but I think getting there before rope drop should be enough to ensure a spot.

One year (in June) we got there early (about 8:20). They were just letting people in and we were near the back of the line. By the time we got in the line, it was long. We waited 40 minutes, I think. Some parts of the line were in the hot sun. It was rough with my then 4 yr old. The good news is, only 1 Show was sold out so we had our choice of times.

However, I decided to do the PPO at H&V last June. Our ADR was 8:15. I think we were let in a little before 8. We immediately went to sign up and we waited less than 5 minutes. Then we enjoyed our breakfast, along with Bloody Marys for the adults during the time we would’ve been standing in line. Much better plan, IMO.

I plan to do it this way for as long as the plan works.

One year (in June) we got there early (about 8:20). They were just letting people in and we were near the back of the line. By the time we got in the line, it was long. We waited 40 minutes, I think. Some parts of the line were in the hot sun. It was rough with my then 4 yr old. The good news is, only 1 Show was sold out so we had our choice of times.

However, I decided to do the PPO at H&V last June. Our ADR was 8:15. I think we were let in a little before 8. We immediately went to sign up and we waited less than 5 minutes. Then we enjoyed our breakfast, along with Bloody Marys for the adults during the time we would’ve been standing in line. Much better plan, IMO.

I plan to do it this way for as long as the plan works.

Sorry for butting in, but "sold out?" Is there an extra fee for participating in Jedi Training? OP, I'm the same as you, Jedi Training is a must do for us.

Last edited:
Sorry for butting in, but "sold out?" Is there an extra fee for participating in Jedi Training? OP, I'm the same as you, Jedi Training is a must do for us.

There is no extra cost for Jedi Training but there are a limited number of spaces.

Head over to sign up at RD and you wont have any issues getting a spot.

Also, when we were there last (Feb. 2017) they were assigning times as opposed to letting you choose them. Keep in mind that this can mess with your FP's and ADR's. We had to bail on an ADR as we weren't going to make it for Jedi Training in time.

Last edited:
There is no extra cost for Jedi Training but there are a limited number of spaces.

Head over to sign up at RD and you wont have any issues getting a spot.

Also, when we were there last (Feb. 2017) they were assigning times as opposed to letting you choose them. Keep in mind that this can mess with your FP's and ADR's. We had to bail on an ADR as we weren't going to make it for Jedi Training in time.

that seems pretty silly, so you had to swallow the no-show fee for your ADR because you didn't have a choice in the time?

Some shows “fill up/meet capacity” and guests must choose from the remaining shows and slots. Guests choose their own session.

Your child needs to be with you to sign-up and must return about 30 minutes prior to the session to prepare for the session. Late arriving kids get bumped from the show and are replaced by those who are Standing by waiting for an open spot.

that seems pretty silly, so you had to swallow the no-show fee for your ADR because you didn't have a choice in the time?

We had already checked in for our reservation. I asked the waitress if we would be able to finish in 45 minutes and she said no. We left but were not charged the no show fee.

Guests choose their own session.

Hmmm. I will yield to your Disney experience level but we must have had a bad CM that day as they assigned the time to us. I wouldn't have booked a time during my ADR if I had an option.

Hmmm. I will yield to your Disney experience level but we must have had a bad CM that day as they assigned the time to us. I wouldn't have booked a time during my ADR if I had an option.
You may have encountered a “sub” CM or only a few open slots remained. Guests have always been allowed to choose their own session because it results in a higher probability of kids actually showing up for their session.

DD11 has done Jedi Training the past several summers (this summer will be her last due to her age :sad1: ). We always plan two HS days - one day we have PPO bkfst at H&V (we do enjoy the characters & food). We arrive to the gate early, like 7:15-7:20 to be near the tap stiles. Once inside DD & I go directly to Jedi Training check in area. Always have two or three other families there with us at check in. The past three summers we have always had our choice of time slots (usually pick an evening slot as we did the Star Wars Dessert Party & DD was dressed as Rey). Our second HS day is an EMH morning, so again we arrive early - 7:00-7:15 to be close to the tap stiles. Once inside we again go directly to Jedi Training check in and again have our choice of time slots (We usually pick an early slot this day). But I will say on an EMH morning, there are A LOT of families running/speed walking to Jedi Training.

I agree with the PP - if you are very late returning to your time slot or do not return at all, your spot will be given to a child waiting - I have seen it happen.

One thing to also keep in mind when picking your time slot - the kids & stage are in full sun! This gets very hot with the Jedi Robes on. Make sure your kids have sunscreen & are well hydrated prior to taking the stage!

This is my son's first year to try Jedi Training as he just turned 4. My plan is to get there at RD and head straight over. I'm excited for him.

I should have said "filled up" or "full" as opposed to "sold out". Sorry for the confusion.

One thing to also keep in mind when picking your time slot - the kids & stage are in full sun! This gets very hot with the Jedi Robes on. Make sure your kids have sunscreen & are well hydrated prior to taking the stage!

When we were there in June it was very hot. Disney CM held the kids until just before the time and then gave each child a bottle of water after.

This is my son's first year to try Jedi Training as he just turned 4. My plan is to get there at RD and head straight over. I'm excited for him.

That is what we did a few weeks ago, albeit a much slower time compared to when the OP is visiting. We were in line for RD, walked briskly to the sign up section, and we were probably one of the first 20 to sign up. As expected, plenty of choices for sign up times. I did overhear later when we went to actually participate that most of the time slots had filled up by then (around 11:30am), and there were a number of hopeful kids on standby. We plan on doing the same thing when June rolls around.

Good luck!

As long as we're flexible on which show we get, would hitting TSMM at ropedrop before heading to Jedi sign-ups be a terrible idea? TSMM will be standby-only when we visit (late April 2018) and these are basically his two highest priorities at HS...

As long as we're flexible on which show we get, would hitting TSMM at ropedrop before heading to Jedi sign-ups be a terrible idea? TSMM will be standby-only when we visit (late April 2018) and these are basically his two highest priorities at HS...
If you are also fine with possibly not getting a slot for Jedi Training, then TSM is okay to do first.

But to do both TSM with a short wait and Jedi sign-ups, an ADR for breakfast at Hollywood and Vine would probably be the only way to ensure both.

Also remember, the Jedi shows do get downed due to weather. That’s why it’s always good to sign up while you have a choice of show slots.

When we were there in June it was very hot. Disney CM held the kids until just before the time and then gave each child a bottle of water after.
Also remember it can get rained out as well. We signed up in June 2016 for the last slot of the day and got rained out. In June 2017 we did the very first slot because of potential rain and to get it done before the hottest part of the day.

For those who have done it before, how many kids do you figure are allowed in one time slot? 15? 20?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter