Jeff and Jon's 1st trip to da World...Jan. 18-25 2009 Trip Report with pics!

Oh the food is good! I actually crave the skillet!

FYI, if you are sans kids, and want a quiet meal, they have what they call the library. It's actually seperate from the main dining room, and pretty much out in the lobby, much better! :thumbsup2

I had no clue. And we sre sans kids. A Cranky MIL now and then but no kids...

I still cant figure out why they call it the "Wispering Canyon Cafe!"

Every time I eat there I leave with a headache! :confused3

Yeah, my DW has wanted to go there for years, but, it's always gotten dropped off our plans (mostly because I don't want to go and don't think I can eat there very easily). But, it's on the list at the moment for our un-expected March trip. (I'm starting to think it's really going to happen.) I need to remember ear plugs!

If you ever do try 'Ohana again, I'd suggest going for a late dinner around 9 or 9:30. By that time the show has ended and a lot of the kids have gone. :rolleyes: I love staying at the Poly, which is why I hate to say this: The restaurants at the Poly are all fine, but you're paying for the atmosphere more than anything else. I've never eaten at the Kona Cafe for anything other than breakfast, which I always enjoy. If you've never had Tonga Toast, try it once just so you can say you've had it. (It's a sourdough french toast stuffed with bananas, and dusted with cinnamon and sugar and fresh berries on top.) Even though I'm not a huge fan of sweet foods, this is actually very tasty....and not quite as sweet you'd think by looking at it. The Poly is my favorite WDW resort, but when I want to have an absolutely amazing meal, I'd go to one of the other resorts. :guilty:

Well, I don't mind giving it another chance....Jon has told all his clients that was the downfall of our stay.....and I have told a few freinds and family about how everything was wonderfull, except when we ate at Ohana's. I do wanna try Kona and get the famous tonga toast....I can see Jon giving me the look when I tell him we are going to eat at the Poly again......another downer to the Poly is none of there "regular" guest rooms have a king bed! Again, loved the service we got there from everyone, but the food scared us away..

Yeah, I have tried Ohana's for both Breakfast and Dinner and haven't been to impressed each time. I love the decor and theme of the Poly but the food was just ok. I didn't mind the "show" during dinner, but we coudln't even hear the lady on the mic.... and I kept hearing when Kevin (from the DIS Podcast) said she looked like a Drag Queen, because he was right. And not a glamorous one :-)
Our server each time was slow and didn't come around that much.

If we are back at the Poly its b/c we are staying there or going to Kona. Jon thought the lady was a drag queen, the he called a Fran from the Nanny wanna be.....our server was very nice and helpful...she even questioned if we were happy b/c we didn't look like happy campers.....we did not complain, we just simply told her we were not "feelin it" tonight....

I'll stay there with ya. *wink*

Hey...what about me?????:sad1:

About Ohana - it's one of the few places we will never eat at again LOL. the service and the food were really bad - we tried it twice too. We do love the Kona cafe though.

I will have to give Kona a try in the fall when we return....I was okay with the service, but the food...:crazy2:

Sorry you didn't like Ohana. It's not for everyone. Next time, do try the Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. I think you had ADRs there, but canceled them. That is one of my favorites.

I did have that as a ADR....I figured it was okay to drop b/c we were getting similar food at the Hoop de Doo Revue. But I have heard mixed reviews at Whispering Canyon....

I still cant figure out why they call it the "Wispering Canyon Cafe!" Every time I eat there I leave with a headache! :confused3

I heard that it was one of the noisiest of all the world....

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: This is another place that's on my do noot list,

Im starting to think just to stay away from it also....

Oh the food is good! I actually crave the skillet!FYI, if are sans kids, and want a quiet meal, they have what they call the library. It's actually seperate from the main dining room, and pretty much out in the lobby, much better! :thumbsup2

I heard about the skillet...its sounds delicious....Well, my list from OrlandoMike is getting so big...:goodvibes

I had no clue. And we sre sans kids. A Cranky MIL now and then but no kids...

I will not bring my MIL to WDW....

Yeah, my DW has wanted to go there for years, but, it's always gotten dropped off our plans (mostly because I don't want to go and don't think I can eat there very easily). But, it's on the list at the moment for our un-expected March trip. (I'm starting to think it's really going to happen.) I need to remember ear plugs!

Well...you will have fun no matter what....Jon and I did not let it ruin our trip. Once we shopping at DTD, he was all better!:rolleyes:

What a sad time!!!!! The 7 nights just flew by!!!! We had packed the night before so we were ready to load up and hit the road. We packed up the car and drove over to main building to use our last CS credits for breakfast. We both ordered huge breakfast platters and Jon fueled up on coffee...it was time to leave! :sad1: We were suppose to talk with an DVC CM and to get the info on the DVC, but he was busy and plus we had to get on the road to meet my parents in HHI. Jon and I both were looking forward to just "chillin" at Disney's HHI Resort.....it was a good half way stop for us....we were booked for 2 nights and it was good to spend some time with my parents b/c I had not seen them in months....I missed seeing them at Christmas...

So, 300 miles later, we arrived at Disney's HHI Resort.:drive: Jon and I talked about our whole week together at WDW during the trip up to HHI....Jon arranged his pin collection....I can't tell anyone how many pins we ended up with.....:scared:

Check in was very smooth at HHI. The CM that checked us in was wonderful and she had a pin trading lanyard on so Jon started on her after she got us our keys to the room....the resort was DEAD! The CM said that they were not close to being half full.....she shared with Jon her Pin Trading book.....we did eventually unpack later that afternoon.

I took some pics of the rooms there. We got a 2 BR Villa...very nice. The theme decor is 1940's Fishing and Hunting Resort. It a very nice property!

The gate at the resort...cute......
IMG_1935.jpg

I was worn out from the driving....so I chilled for a little in the living room.
IMG_1936.jpg

The kitchen...
IMG_1937.jpg

The only towel animal we had seen all week...
IMG_1938.jpg

The Master BR....lovely.... and it had the jetted tub just like all the other 1 BRs at WDW....
IMG_1939.jpg

I put Ricky and Lucy (aka, my parents in the other BR....they had their own bathroom as well...
IMG_1943.jpg

We were in building 21. The 2nd floor....I think there is like 4 units in each building....love the trees there.....so pretty!
IMG_1946.jpg

I was still in kid mode, so I climbed a tree...I didn't want to put this pic up...my freinds made their comments when I posted this pick on my facebook.
IMG_1949.jpg

I thought this was neat....Jon noticed and it reminded me how far we were from the happy place.
IMG_1958.jpg

The beach was really nice. It is away from the resort...about a mile. You can walk there or ride a bike, or you can drive there. It's one resort, but seperated. The beach house was pretty cool and they had pool there too. Again, the place was dead and all the CM that worked there were looking for things to do....they said they are only busy during the beach season but had a few WDW guests each week making pit-stops there in HHI....Its a nice 1/2 way point for those who are driving.

They had a CS resturant there...but it was closed for rehab. We basically ate at major chain establishments....Outback, Chick Filet, there is a Piggly Wiggly there if you want to go grocery shopping. We spent the day in Savannah. It was about a 40 minute drive from the resort to Savannah. I bascially spent time catching up with my parents and touring Savannah. Cool city!

One more post and I will be done!!!!! yay!!!! I got my photopass CD today!!! So I will post a few more pics and rap this TR up!:thumbsup2

I thought this was neat....Jon noticed and it reminded me how far we were from the happy place.
IMG_1958.jpg

I wonder what driving directioins they used that put SSR 6 miles further away than BWV and Wilderness Lodge? :confused3

Yeah, and BCV is 7 miles further away than BWV...huh?

Well at Beach Club you would get in your car, drive past the Swan and Dolphin, make a wrong turn into Hollywood Studios, drive around the parking lot looking for the exit, make a U-turn at the Hess, and finally arrive at the Boardwalk........so ya, about 7 miles!

:thumbsup2

Jeff -- probably lucky that you missed the DVC CM at the end -- making a timeshare/vacation club decision in the emotion of loving your vacation is not a good way to go. I've been spending a lot of computer time on these cold days being tempted by DVC and have garnered a lot of info -- you will want to read all the DVC forums on DIS (of course they all love it pretty much, but still helpful ingo), and also go to the TUG site (I'll pm you a link) to learn about timesharing. Over the next few months it looks like there may be good resale opportunities for DVC.

Hate to see the end of your report -- looking forward to more photos. And to the comments you get for the tree-climbing photo!

Jeff -- probably lucky that you missed the DVC CM at the end -- making a timeshare/vacation club decision in the emotion of loving your vacation is not a good way to go.

That was actually one of the things I liked about the DVC presentation. He didn't ask us to make a decision at the moment in the emotion of our vacation. Instead, we were able to take everything home and think about it. We purchased a resale a few months later instead of buying directly, but, the same guide still maintains contact.

I do agree with the "do your research" advice though.

Well at Beach Club you would get in your car, drive past the Swan and Dolphin, make a wrong turn into Hollywood Studios, drive around the parking lot looking for the exit, make a U-turn at the Hess, and finally arrive at the Boardwalk........so ya, about 7 miles!

I did that at Epcot twice in one day, And the same guy was at the gate both times.
I felt like a DA, just looked at him and said yep did it again. :rotfl:

Well, I don't mind giving it another chance....Jon has told all his clients that was the downfall of our stay.....and I have told a few freinds and family about how everything was wonderfull, except when we ate at Ohana's. I do wanna try Kona and get the famous tonga toast....I can see Jon giving me the look when I tell him we are going to eat at the Poly again......another downer to the Poly is none of there "regular" guest rooms have a king bed! Again, loved the service we got there from everyone, but the food scared us away..

If we are back at the Poly its b/c we are staying there or going to Kona. Jon thought the lady was a drag queen, the he called a Fran from the Nanny wanna be.....our server was very nice and helpful...she even questioned if we were happy b/c we didn't look like happy campers.....we did not complain, we just simply told her we were not "feelin it" tonight....

Hmmmmm......well.....to be honest, I wouldn't try 'Ohana again. LOL :lmao: WDW has so many other restaurants to try, why risk another bad meal? :) Plus, food and food service varies on a daily basis, which is one of the many reasons this sort of thing is so subjective. The places that remain consistant on a daily basis are usually the ones that get better reviews.

As far as subjectivity goes, take this example: The night I was there waiting at the bar for a table there was this woman who came up next to me with her friend. She was completely irate and was yelling and swearing up a storm because she had been waiting "over an hour" for a table, and she thought she was getting horrible service considering she was "paying so much money for staying at the hotel". I can't emphasize the word FUR-I-OUS enough here. :rolleyes: (She was also a little tipsy, but I digress.) What I thought was weird was that we didn't have an ADR, and yet we got seated in less than 25 minutes. To top it off we had amazing service. Our server joked around with us, told us about himself (no...he wasn't gay), and after bringing one of the other servers to join in the conversation we were all laughing our butts off. I had a great dining experience. The food? It wasn't the best I've ever had. (I'd say about a solid 8/10 based on the fact that the food they're serving isn't supposed to be upscale or gourmet)......but based on the food and experience I had I would definitely go back again.

I wonder what driving directioins they used that put SSR 6 miles further away than BWV and Wilderness Lodge? :confused3

I have no idea...Im still looking at the map they gave us at check in trying to figure that one out.....

I think we are going down Sept 20-26. There will be five of us this time.

:sad2: We are pretty much leaning toward the date of arriving Sept 27! :sad2:

:guilty: Say it ain't so.

I know....:sad2:

Sounds like us driving our car leaving the Poly on Saturday night after Ohana's.:lmao:

Jeff -- probably lucky that you missed the DVC CM at the end -- making a timeshare/vacation club decision in the emotion of loving your vacation is not a good way to go. I've been spending a lot of computer time on these cold days being tempted by DVC and have garnered a lot of info -- you will want to read all the DVC forums on DIS (of course they all love it pretty much, but still helpful ingo), and also go to the TUG site (I'll pm you a link) to learn about timesharing. Over the next few months it looks like there may be good resale opportunities for DVC. Hate to see the end of your report -- looking forward to more photos. And to the comments you get for the tree-climbing photo!

I noticed that the advertising they do on the TV station that is piped through the resort rooms...."Call us now early in your vacation!"

Trying to work with this Photo Pass CD, my laptop hates it!

That was actually one of the things I liked about the DVC presentation. He didn't ask us to make a decision at the moment in the emotion of our vacation. Instead, we were able to take everything home and think about it. We purchased a resale a few months later instead of buying directly, but, the same guide still maintains contact.
I do agree with the "do your research" advice though.

I am leaving that to Jon, he is good about those things...I just get confused! He has 2 cleints that are DVC members with and one of those cleints has a son that sells DVC, so we have great resources....:)

Hmmmmm......well.....to be honest, I wouldn't try 'Ohana again. LOL :lmao: WDW has so many other restaurants to try, why risk another bad meal? :) Plus, food and food service varies on a daily basis, which is one of the many reasons this sort of thing is so subjective. The places that remain consistant on a daily basis are usually the ones that get better reviews.
As far as subjectivity goes, take this example: The night I was there waiting at the bar for a table there was this woman who came up next to me with her friend. She was completely irate and was yelling and swearing up a storm because she had been waiting "over an hour" for a table, and she thought she was getting horrible service considering she was "paying so much money for staying at the hotel". I can't emphasize the word FUR-I-OUS enough here. :rolleyes: (She was also a little tipsy, but I digress.) What I thought was weird was that we didn't have an ADR, and yet we got seated in less than 25 minutes. To top it off we had amazing service. Our server joked around with us, told us about himself (no...he wasn't gay), and after bringing one of the other servers to join in the conversation we were all laughing our butts off. I had a great dining experience. The food? It wasn't the best I've ever had. (I'd say about a solid 8/10 based on the fact that the food they're serving isn't supposed to be upscale or gourmet)......but based on the food and experience I had I would definitely go back again.

Well...I wouldn't really mind giving it another try, but I know we want try other places on our 2nd trip....so I know it will pretty much be forgotten. Sounds like you had good time! Our server was really nice when we were there and she knew we didn't care for the food, but we didn't make it a huge issue, Jon was ready to get out of there and I was feeling his pain, so we left right after signing our bill.

Hey Hey!

Here are some pics from our photopass that I thought I would share.....hope you all enjoy...

I love this one....
image34.jpg

And this one...
image14.jpg

And some others...
image49.jpg

image57.jpg

My "final thoughts" are coming up next.....:)

Oh good -- you got the one with Tink -- that's always one of my favorites! and you did a great job posing -- mucho adorable!

I love PhotoPass -- I get to be in the photos now too (not that I'm photogenic, but we enjoy our little 3-generation family pics).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter