Jewelry and hair braids

ksistersmom

Earning My Ears
As you guys can probably see from my outrageous number of questions my sailing date is rapidly approaching.

I want to buy some jewelry....tanzinite and sterling silver mainly....any tips on the best place to get the best prices???

Also, hair braiding.........where do you recommend getting that done for the best price...I read somewhere that 2.50 a braid was a decent price.......where do you recommend I find this!!!

Thanks.

I can't help with the jewelry question....as for hair braiding $2.00 a braid seemed to be the going rate. Just ask for a price for what you want done...whole head, just the crown, just a few braids....we found that to be cheaper than the "per braid" price. DD had hers done at Freeport, I had mine done at Castaway Cay. Castaway was more expensive and I enjoyed the hairdo, but hated to 'waste' an hour and a half of time on Castaway! Wherever you go, look around...there are braiders everywhere and their level of cleanliness seems to vary on the islands!!

On Nassau, you can negotiate the price of braids (you can get them down to $1 each, but if you are getting a whole head done, SET A PRICE IN ADVANCE!! Otherwise, you'd be amazed at how many braids there are and you'll have a rude sticker shock when it is time to pay). The price is set on Castaway Cay and cannot be negotiated, but many people think it is cleaner. I have heard of instances of people getting lice in Nassau, although you are usually okay if you have it done at the main hair braiding plaza, which has running water (as an added precaution, bring your own comb).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I got my hair braided and I got it done for $1 a braid. This was in St. Martin and I only got it done lilke a hairband. The lady had pictures so I would know what they looked liked. I wouldn't pay $2.50 for a braid. Also the jewlery places that they tell you on the tv in your room are pretty good. The program for that is on the day before you get to the island. They tell you some pretty good stores. Hope this helps!!

:wave: :pinkbounc :)

My daughter had hers done in St. Thomas. She wanted to enjoy the hairstyle for the cruise.We paid $1/braid for the headband style with beads..be prepared though..she was in pain and said it was very tight, although after going swimming, it loosed up and she was happy with it. We kept it in for 3 weeks after the cruise, but also be prepared for some hair breakage when removing it. Also, we found a q-tips works very well in applying suntan lotion to the exposed scalp..be careful, you will burn there if you don't! Have fun.

I knew you guys would know. A DOLLAR a braid...WOW, that is great. I can afford that! I want the headband look too. Thank you all for your excellant advice.

As for jewelry - I purchased a white & yellow gold bracelet, gold ring, and tanzanite earrings in St. Thomas. Some say the prices are better in St. Maarten, but I couldn't bear to cut into our beach time there! The bracelet and earrings were great prices - the gold ring could have been purchased at home for the same price.

Watch the shopping talk on tv (don't waste the time attending it live!) and pick up some maps at the excursion desk to aid in your adventure.

DD7 hair braids were $2 a braid in St. Maarten. We brought our own comb. Had it done right on the beach, started with a few and let her go back for a few more - maybe 20 in total. She looked adorable. I even had six done on one side - what the heck!

Stories of getting Castaway Cay braids have been that it takes away from a lot of beach time, so be prepared. However, you know you can always have it done there if you aren't pleased with conditions on the islands.

My DD wanted her hair braided when we were in Nassau but after being bothered by the different women doing the braiding, she decided to wait until we got to Castaway Cay. Well, when we got there she decided she didn't want to waste any time waiting there so she didnt have it done . When we were at Disney World after the cruise she had her hair "wrapped" instead and loved it!! She had one long braid put in with beads and a charm. She had the hair wrapped with 3 different colors (She chose the colors of her favorite football team:rolleyes:) The wrap was expensive (I think it was $22.00) they charge per inch of hair. The wrap stayed in for almost 3 months (I wanted to take it our after a few weeks but NO WAY) There was some hair breakage when we finally unwrapped the hair but it was very small and it was near her scalp so it was not noticable. We had the wrap done so that DD could "Tuck" it behind her ear for school etc. or let it be seen when she wanted. The man who did the wrap was wonderful and explained how to care for it etc. It was really interesting to see them wrap the hair and a crowd usually stands around and watches. We had it done at MGM right outside the Muppet Movie but we saw the wrappers at our hotel and a few other places in the park.
As for jewelry I agree, watch the ships TV. The person will give you a few stores that have guarentees etc. Also, they have a few places that take coupons that you can optain on the ship. We did not buy jewelry but we had a conversation with a young man who was buying a loose diamond to take back to have set into an engagement ring for his girlfriend. He said the prices were wonderful and he didnt have to pay tax or customs on a loose stone (or something like that) . All this is covered in the ships TV jewelry/port talk. Have a great time!

I got my daughters hair braided on castaway cay, it took forever, like an hour , it hurt alot. and I just had them do the front.I left it in about three weeks and took it out just like they said and all her hair in the front is all broken . she had beautiful one length hair now its all chopped in the front. It cost 50 dollars and wasn't worth it in our experience,,

From what I have learned, you can get braids at St. Thomas or St. Martin for about $1 per braid, but I have been advised that you should bring your own comb and be a tad bit choicy about who you let do it.

As far as breakage goes, I think it depends on each individuals hair. Everyones tolerance is different. I spent a week in Montego Bay, Jamaica in August 2000 and I had the whole top half of my hair braided a day after I got there. She decorated my braids with wooden beads and it looked wonderful. I took my braids out about two weeks after I got home and other than the usual daily breakage, I did not have any problems. I did not have to cut any of my hair and I did not have any hair damage.

We will be cruising in July and I look very forward to getting me and my 3 daughters hair braided.

Happy Sailing!!!

1 Disney Lovin' Mom
Memphis, TN

:earsgirl:

I have two daughters and 3 nieces. We had their hair "braided" while in Tampa. Extremely expensive, took an entire day between all of them, and then just had to take out due to "fraying" a week later. I recommend buying a few colors of twine and some beads while out and about with your children prior to the cruise. You can do your own braiding for around $10.00 and it looks much better than the ones that you have done. Additionally you have time to do a braid here and there before the cruise so your child doesn't have to sit in one spot for so long.

My daughter always gets her hair braided on the boat. It is about 2.50 a braid, but I know that it is clean and safe. As for jewelry, I recommend going to the jewelry show and talking to the shopping expert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter