• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jurassic Park ride

rab

Earning My Ears
We're heading to Universal Studios for the first time in about a week and a half. One of my daughters and I are not crazy about roller coasters (I can handle all of the rides that I know I'm not leaving the ground) so I wanted to ask about the 85 foot drop at the end of Jurassic Park. I'm willing to deal with the drop in order to see the rest of the ride, but my daughter isn't so willing. Can anyone tell me about how scary that drop is?

Well in answer to your question, we went on this ride for the first time 2 yrs ago. My son was 9 then. He cried when we got off. Me and a few of my friends who we were with, on the other hand, was fearful of the drop, but when it was over we clapped our hands it was so much fun. It was so much fun we went and got in line again and this time on the drop I put my hands up. ( I purchased that picture :D )

My brother talked my son into going back on, he didn't cry the second time. The picture is on our mantel. He's 11 now and when he looks at the picture he cracks up laughing because of the frightened look on his face. He can't believe he went on this thing twice. He really has a fear of heights.

We went to IOA last year and my son didn't want to get on, so this is not one of his favorite rides.

It depends on how old your daughter is and if she is fearful of heights.

The drop doesn't feel like its that high.

But whatever you decide you will have a wonderful trip.:)

I went to IOA with a friend who will not ride coasters and has a fear of heights. She went on Jurassic Park ride and survived. In fact she said she wants to try it again. The drop is in the dark, so you don't really see how steep it is. You didn't say how old your child is, but she may be more likely to be scared of the T-rex.

Would it help to say it's over before it begins? To help this fright thing, wait till your child is really hot. To cool off, she might want to do the drop so that she can cool.

In my honest opinion, I think the Splash Mountain and Ripsaw Falls drops are more thrilling than the one on JPRA. I believe that even though the drop is longer on JPRA because the boats are much bigger it dosen't seem as bad as it really is. I am not saying that the drop isn't intense (because it is a great drop :-) ) but I didn't think that it was that bad at all. Of course I am a 18 year old male that was raised on Disney World and theme parks so I am used to this stuff :-)

I went on that one late on nite and the guy at the front told me and my dad (my mom and bro wanted the guinea pigs to try it first) that you might get a little wet...well, I loved the movie and was all into the ride in the begining and then w/o giving anything away, things changed. I had NO idea that there was this huge drop and didn't know when it was coming, I was freakin out and nothing was really going on. It seemed like it was never coming down and I screamed like a baby but you really felt secure. I wouldn't ever go on it again, I'll stick to splash mt.

I love this ride!!
And I don't do coasters.
I like the flume type rides-- all of them...they don't go upside down :) That's my phobia.
I love the drops and the spalsh at the bottom...I think it is fun, fun, fun!!
And I'm a middle age female :D
Also my DD loved ths flumes and she hates coasters even more than I do.....

I went on JPRA a few days ago, and while the drop is "thrilling", I didn't think it was as frightening as Ripsaw Falls, probably because it's darker and you don't realize how steep it is. It looks scarier than it actually is (and I think Ripsaw Falls is the opposite - scarier than it looks!)

P. :)

we went this spring and we had an 11 year old not to thrilled to go on with us! I made sure she had the poncho on since you do get wet, wet, wet! (the seats at wet too when you get in, so the rear gets wet! ) Anyways, the drop is at the end and the T Rex is there too, so if you just close your eyes for a few seconds it is over... that's what we tell our children and they go back - especially splash mountain since that is beautiful inside- you gotta like dino's to go again on JP ride... we do it first so we get it out of the way ... Just close your eyes! Plus I agree with the others it is in the dark so the fall doesn;t seem as bad.

:D

I have to agree that it's not nearly the intensity as Splash mountain. I wouldn't even put it into the same category as roller coasters. I guess you could think of the fall at the end as a kind of "oversized flume ride". You can get wet, although that varies, and the fall doesn't last that long. I have ridden many times and haven't gotten wet at all, other times let's just say I got "rather damp".

Cannot speak for Ripsaw Falls as I have never been on this one. It would be ashame to miss the entire ride for two seconds at the end . . . it's not one you want to miss.

My daughter is 11 years old, but she just doesn't like rollercoasters. I'm with her on the rollercoaster thing, but I can deal with the one drop just to see the rest of the ride. It'll be up to her if she wants to ride it, but maybe if I'm brave and go on it, she'll do the same. She loves the rides that make you "feel" like you're all over the place, up, down, the car moving everywhere, but when it actually means leaving the ground, she says no way. Thanks for everyone's help.

rab;
My DD was 11 when we went to UO last year. She has a pretty severe fear of heights. She even went white riding an escalator at Crown Plaza in KC because the sides were clear plexiglass and she could see down. She will NOT do any roller coasters at IOA, even the Unicorn.
However, she loves JPRA. She also can do Splash Mountain. I think the main thing with both is that you do not see the hill until you are already on the way down, and the drops are over before the fear can kick in.
Hope you have a great trip and DD likes JPRA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter