Just back - 12 nights at BWV - housekeeping question

Lora

DIS Veteran
We stayed 5 nights in a 2BR, 2 nights in a studio, and another 5 in a 2 BR. All were separate reservations. We didn't realize until I went to the front desk to check into the studio, that they had already checked us in and were sending our new keys to the room for the current studio portion of our 2BR. I appreciated not having to do a big move, but I had already packed, so that was kind of a pain. I wish they would have at least let me know the night before.

The problem was that they weren't going to clean the room. Well, she said they could for the fee. I told them that this was a new reservation and that different people had been sleeping in the beds, etc. (My parents had been with us for the first 5 nights.) I would have rather packed up and moved to a completely different room (even with the inconvenience) than to keep the dirty room. They said they would send someone to clean the room. It took a long time and a reminder call, but it eventually got cleaned.

When we were going to switch back to the 2BR, I called ahead the night before to see if they wou be doing the same thing (just adding the 1BR back on). They said they were, so I planned to just move our stuff over the next day when the 1BR became available. At about 8am, housekeeping came to the door and said she had our studio on her list for housekeeping and wanted to make sure we were going to be out by 11. This was kind of confusing me, so I went to the front desk to inquire. Sure enough, we got the keys to the new reservation, so I headed back to the room and we left for the parks. When we got back (late afternoon), the room had not been cleaned. I wouldn't have really expected it except that housekeeping had just knocked on my door that morning. Again, I made a trip to the front desk (speaking with people by phone was not panning out either - in fact it was kind of scary). The CM set us up for housekeeping to come the next day. I clearly gave the number of the room for the studio and said that the other part was fine since we were just moving in that day. They also said someone would call to let us know when the other part of the room was ready, but no one ever did. I had to call them. We moved into that part of the 2BR.

The next day, after our morning in the parks, the studio had not been cleaned, but the 1BR part had been. I ran into a housekeeping manager or someone in the hall and we finally got the whole thing taken care of. I felt bad that they cleaned the whole 1BR just one day after we checked in.

How do you think this sort of situation should be handled? Was I right in expecting that the room would be cleaned on "check in day" even though we were already occupying it?

Since you had 3 separate reservations, you should have had cleaning on the transition days. It sounds like there was a real communication problem here. Has housekeeping been contracted out at BWV like it has at OKW/SSR? We had similar problems at OKW last March when we were supposed to be getting a full cleaning. Different CMs were assigned to the studio and 1 bedroom parts of our room and I think that contributed to the problems. I had to call the housekeeping manager at OKW/SSR several times to get everything squared away. It was annoying.

Has housekeeping been contracted out at BWV like it has at OKW/SSR?

I have not read any information indicating that housekeeping has been contracted out at any Disney resorts.

A couple years ago they contracted out all resorts' night cleaning staff (those that clean the lobbies, hallway carpets, public restrooms, etc.) but none of the day-to-day CMs who clean guest rooms.

I have not read any information indicating that housekeeping has been contracted out at any Disney resorts.

A couple years ago they contracted out all resorts' night cleaning staff (those that clean the lobbies, hallway carpets, public restrooms, etc.) but none of the day-to-day CMs who clean guest rooms.

Yes, they have been contracted out at OKW. I don't know about the other resorts.

Yes, they have been contracted out at OKW. I don't know about the other resorts.

Can you point me toward a source for that info? I'd like to read more. When did this happen?

I have only read about the contracting out in other posts here on the DIS, so perhaps I am incorrectly assuming that info to be fact.

Please let both DVC and Boardwalk management know about this in writing. Written complaints are the best leverage the execs have over the mousekeeping managers. They can't force changes unless they can document a need.

Mousekeeping is always a big issue. Why does it have to be? I'm sure Disney knows how important clean rooms are.:confused3

Did you have all 3 reservations as totally separate reservations, or did you link the reservations?

If you linked them, that could be the difference.

Did you have all 3 reservations as totally separate reservations, or did you link the reservations?

If you linked them, that could be the difference.

I didn't make any specific requests about linking them. I'm figuring they did that on their own. If I did link them, then shouldn't this be considered a 12 night stay, with full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8 - or whatever it is? I had 3 separate reservation letters with trash and towel service listed for day 4 of the two longer stays. If it really had only been my immediate family, this would not have been a big deal, but no one wants to sleep in their guests sheets - not even their parents'!

I was more annoyed with the front desk actually. I wasn't told ahead of time of the plan to keep us in the same room. That's a request I've made in the past, but I was not really wanting it this time. The other problem with the was that it was just so difficult to communicate what I wanted/needed with them. It was as if no one had ever had this situation before.

While technically one is entitled to the extra cleanings on the changeover days, DVC normally follows the same schedule as if it were one reservation if they leave you in the same room. Personally I think they should change their policies accordingly and not do the extra cleanings in this situation above what would happen for a single reservation.

Have been having trouble w/ log in so before I write a reply I want to see if this goes through

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter