Just Back From Welcome Home Trip...Quick Thoughts and Observations

Little E

DIS Veteran
Hi Disfriends!

We just returned from our DVC welcome home trip from 3/22-3/31. DH and I took DS 18 and DS's buddy, and we had our college DS fly in for most of the week with us. Our home resort is VGF, and we stayed one night at AKL-Kidani in a one bedroom, and then transferred to a 2 bedroom at VGF for the remainder of our trip. Here are some quick thoughts on our experiences...

1. We had terrific weather...late March is alway a little "iffy", but we had sunshine and mid 80's temps all week, with one day even reaching low 90's. We had 30 minutes of rain one night at dinner, and that was it for precipitation. Amazing!

2. We have never done a split stay. I was excited to try this, and my DH was very hesitant, as he likes to move in and get comfy. We did a "mini" split stay in that we stayed our first night at AKL-Kidani before moving to VGF. I asked lots of questions on the Disboards before we left about split stay strategy, and I thought I would love it as a way to try different and new-to-us resorts. And...I found out I didn't really love it. Even though I thought I was packing strategically, I found I had to dig through all our luggage a lot for that first night. I did not enjoy the transfer process, so, from now on, no split stays for us.

3. AKL-Kidani was amazing for animal viewing. We loved seeing all kinds of animals from lots of different viewing areas. The boys loved the Kidani pool, and The Mara was great for a quick, late night dinner. However, we thought overall it was very dark there, and it was so far away from the rest of the Disney bubble. I'm so glad we tried it, but AKL is a one and done for us.

4. On the other hand, we LOVED VGF. We had only stayed for a long weekend in a regular hotel room at GF in 2016, and we bought in to VGF sight unseen last year. This trip made us realize that we made the right choice for our home resort. We loved everything about our villa and the pools and the proximity to MK. The only downside was the fact that the walking path was closed. We'll be so excited when it opens back up and we can walk to MK!

5. Thanks to DH's lightning fast reflexes, we were able to snag VQs for both Tron and Guardians. Both rides were fantastic and so fun! Downside to Tron: it's really short. Like REALLY short. The VQ is tricky too. We snagged a VQ for our first day in MK, which was also the day we transferred from AK to GF. We had a breakfast reserved at GF Cafe, and we got our boarding notification just as we were about to go eat breakfast. CMs let us know that we needed to hightail it to MK in a hurry; it's not like Guardians where they will let you in later if you miss your boarding group window. If you snooze, you lose. So we had to explain our dilemma to the GF Cafe, and they were LOVELY about cancelling without penalty at the 11th hour. We rushed to MK and waited in a horrible line to tap in to the park, and then rushed to get to the Tron line. We made it with about 10 minutes to spare and it was so fun!! We learned from this experience that if you get into the VQ you need to watch your notifications like a hawk and be ready to drop everything to get to Tron on time. Guardians, on the other hand, is a lot more relaxed. You can arrive well after the boarding group expires and CMs don't care.

6. I had forgotten how long it takes to get from MK to EP via the monorail. We underestimated the time we needed to allot for this. Catching monorails was very hit or miss for us, and I had forgotten the actual length of time it takes to get from the TTC to Epcot. Note to self for future trips...give yourself plenty of time! On the flip side, we had really good experiences catching busses at VGF; we did not have to wait long at all for busses to the parks, which was a pleasant surprise.

7. Speaking of transportation, we booked Sunshine Flyer to transport us from MCO to AKL. NEVER AGAIN! We were the 4th stop on the SF and we were on the bus for just short of two hours! The stops before us were all over the place...SF folks made no effort to group resorts that were close to one another. We went to Coronado Springs, All Star Music, and Caribbean Beach before being dropped at AK. I thought this might have been a one time weird situation, but DS who flew in a couple days after us had the same experience with SF. He was the 5th stop and was on the bus well over two hours. Again, the stops had the SF criss crossing all of the Disney properties before dropping DS at the VGF. Note to self: spend the money to call an Uber from MCO!

8. We did the Disney After Hours event at HS on 3/29 and had a FANTASTIC experience! Yes, the lines were long from about 9:30-10 pm, but after 10 pm, we felt as though we had the park to ourselves. It was so much fun to have very short lines and be able to ride things multiple times. We also saw Chewy walking around the Star Wars area, and we got lots of time to hang out with and hug Daisy and Donald Duck...we had them all to ourselves! The only downside was that we felt there were not many snack carts available. They were very spread out. For example, there were no snack carts in the whole Star Wars area, and there were none that we could see at the very front of the park. We had the best luck with snack carts by the Muppets area and by Tower of Terror. I would definitely do an after hours event again!

9. We enjoyed great food during our trip. Our favorite meals were at Steakhouse 71 and (surprisingly) at Beaches and Cream. We enjoyed drinks at The Enchanted Rose two nights in a row, and we enjoyed the food booths in Epcot as well. Our best CM interaction was with "Uncle Dale", our waiter at 50's Prime Time Cafe...he was hilarious! DH and I realized we have to get better at asking for DVC discounts at TS restaurants. We forgot to mention that we are DVC at several places...ggggrrr. Hazard of being DVC newbies, I guess.

10. Using DVC points, I was really worried about not having daily mousekeeping, and I thought for sure that I would want to purchase a day or two of mousekeeping. Surprisingly, I found myself using the washer/dryer almost daily, and not having to worry about when mousekeeping would come was so freeing. I did a load of towels most days, to keep us in clean, dry towels, and I loved throwing a load of clothes in as needed. I never felt the need to purchase extra mousekeeping. It was nice to have housekeeping on our 4th day, and having trash and towel service on day 8 was great. We were gone most days at the parks, and we discovered our trash and recycling had been emptied almost daily? I assumed that was when CMs came to do checks? Regardless, I found not having daily mousekeeping was just fine. Knowing I can do laundry as needed, I think we'll try to just do carry ons when we fly for future trips.

We had a terrific time, and we feel lucky that our kiddos are still Disney lovers and are still willing to do Disney with us. DH and I left feeling really good about our choice to purchase DVC, and we have already booked a trip for the runDisney event in November. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Last edited:
I remember your split stay posts before your trip. You and I are a lot alike as I agreed with most everything you put in your review! It was great to read it and the tips you gave.

A great review and analysis. We're new to DVC, as well, but not new to US Disney properties.

Interesting on the split stay as that used to be my original thought, as well, meaning split stays to try other resorts would be fun. On our last trip in October '22, we realized the same thing as we stayed at a non-Disney hotel the night before and the last night. So, we were packing and unpacking. Now, we're having fun figuring out the owner's locker and trying to only fly using our carry on.

I suspect you're not the first to not remember to ask for the DVC discount as that's been on my mind, as well. We've not been to Steakhouse 71 but you along with other have given that place such good reviews.

And, lastly, OUCH on the Sunshine flyer as I've purchased transport for both of our trips this fall. I didn't want to hear about that grueling trip to get to and from the resort.

Thanks for posting the report.

@eksmama01 Great minds think alike!! :love:

@IDSkinner I'm so sorry to give you a yucky report on the SF. I used it on a gal pal trip in January, and we waited a long time for our bus, but at least we were the first stop. This made the actual bus travel not so bad. For the two trips my family took for our March trip, I was so bummed that SF made so many stops fit in one bus. It was CRAZY that they didn't even try to make the stops fit together with geographically similar resorts. I hope we are in the minority, and I hope others have had much better experiences. Also, we are starting to use our owner's locker. So far we really like it. I rented an owner's locker right before my January trip, so I could start loading "stuff" into it, in preparation for our March trip. I definitely used many things in the OL for the March trip, and I left lots of goodies for us to use for our November trip. Here's to the carry on only crew!! :flower1:

@eksmama01 Great minds think alike!! :love:

@IDSkinner I'm so sorry to give you a yucky report on the SF. I used it on a gal pal trip in January, and we waited a long time for our bus, but at least we were the first stop. This made the actual bus travel not so bad. For the two trips my family took for our March trip, I was so bummed that SF made so many stops fit in one bus. It was CRAZY that they didn't even try to make the stops fit together with geographically similar resorts. I hope we are in the minority, and I hope others have had much better experiences. Also, we are starting to use our owner's locker. So far we really like it. I rented an owner's locker right before my January trip, so I could start loading "stuff" into it, in preparation for our March trip. I definitely used many things in the OL for the March trip, and I left lots of goodies for us to use for our November trip. Here's to the carry on only crew!! :flower1:
Much thanks for your review on the SF though. We're going to try it and if it doesn't go well, I'll so remember this thread.

Regarding the owner's locker, we found an awesome and compact fan that's rechargeable and condenses down to a very small form. We're going to try it out at home and see if it fits the bill as I like the white noise more than anything and we may use a white noise app, as well, during our trip next trip with a bluetooth speaker. We did that during the Oct '22 stay, but I guess I missed the breeze. So, might be a one two set up. The fan is really compact though and it has a good amount of air that it pushes and is supposed to last all night.

A great review and analysis. We're new to DVC, as well, but not new to US Disney properties.

Interesting on the split stay as that used to be my original thought, as well, meaning split stays to try other resorts would be fun. On our last trip in October '22, we realized the same thing as we stayed at a non-Disney hotel the night before and the last night. So, we were packing and unpacking. Now, we're having fun figuring out the owner's locker and trying to only fly using our carry on.

I suspect you're not the first to not remember to ask for the DVC discount as that's been on my mind, as well. We've not been to Steakhouse 71 but you along with other have given that place such good reviews.

And, lastly, OUCH on the Sunshine flyer as I've purchased transport for both of our trips this fall. I didn't want to hear about that grueling trip to get to and from the resort.

Thanks for posting the report.

You should be able to cancel SF as long as you cancel so many days before your reservation. I had booked it for a trip this past March - I ended up canceling it a week before our trip because I had read bad reviews. I received a refund and we ended up using the uber for my family of 3, which turned out to be the same cost as the SF, factoring in tip.

You should be able to cancel SF as long as you cancel so many days before your reservation. I had booked it for a trip this past March - I ended up canceling it a week before our trip because I had read bad reviews. I received a refund and we ended up using the uber for my family of 3, which turned out to be the same cost as the SF, factoring in tip.
Thank you and this helped make my decision easier. I had established a local driver(not with Uber or Lyft) who is more competitively priced and a small outfit, so I'm going to take the opportunity to use him and go to the grocery store and then on to the resort. Couldn't have done that with Sunshine, so that allows me to get everything I need at the store for consumables and to add to the owner's locker and I'll probably be able to accomplish all of that in less time than the SF is able to get me from the airport to the GF.

Thanks for the review. Question: how long did it take for you to do the monorail process to Epcot (start to finish from when you left GF and arrived at EP)?

@mamaofsix Hi there! Gosh, I can't remember specifically, but I want to guess at least 45 minutes, depending on how the monorails were running. 45 was probably if we got right on to a monorail, and it was longer if we missed one and had to wait until the next one. I was surprised...I didn't realize it would take that long.

@mamaofsix Hi there! Gosh, I can't remember specifically, but I want to guess at least 45 minutes, depending on how the monorails were running. 45 was probably if we got right on to a monorail, and it was longer if we missed one and had to wait until the next one. I was surprised...I didn't realize it would take that long.
Okay, good to know! My touring plans book says to plan for 1 hr between GF and Epcot if going by Monorail, and I wondered if that was an exaggeration. But sounds like according to your experience it's accurate. If we want to be at the park by 9:30a.m., better plan to be at the Monorail station by 8:30a.m. I guess...

Totally agree about the monorail, split trips and SFlyer. We do love Kidani though for the views, the quietness and the extra bathroom. Buses do not bother us as we found them quick and often. In fact it probably took you longer to go to Epcot from GF using the monorail than from Kidani to Epcot by bus. The only long ride is to Magic Kingdom.

@Sammie this is good to know, regarding Kidani and the busses. We transferred to VGF via Uber, and we never used any of the busses from Kidani.

I remember your split stay posts before your trip. You and I are a lot alike as I agreed with most everything you put in your review! It was great to read it and the tips you gave.
Me again - despite my advice on your original thread on split stays. Plus my above post...

I've lost my mind and somehow now have a 4 way split stay (3 if the Riveria let's me keep my room) booked. I need to take my own advice!! 😂

@eksmama01 OMIGOSH! Too funny! Wherever you're staying, I'm sure your trip will be fabulous! My hubby would totally freak out with either a 3 or 4 way split stay! :tongue:

Have a magical vacation!

Hi Disfriends!

We just returned from our DVC welcome home trip from 3/22-3/31. DH and I took DS 18 and DS's buddy, and we had our college DS fly in for most of the week with us. Our home resort is VGF, and we stayed one night at AKL-Kidani in a one bedroom, and then transferred to a 2 bedroom at VGF for the remainder of our trip. Here are some quick thoughts on our experiences...

1. We had terrific weather...late March is alway a little "iffy", but we had sunshine and mid 80's temps all week, with one day even reaching low 90's. We had 30 minutes of rain one night at dinner, and that was it for precipitation. Amazing!

2. We have never done a split stay. I was excited to try this, and my DH was very hesitant, as he likes to move in and get comfy. We did a "mini" split stay in that we stayed our first night at AKL-Kidani before moving to VGF. I asked lots of questions on the Disboards before we left about split stay strategy, and I thought I would love it as a way to try different and new-to-us resorts. And...I found out I didn't really love it. Even though I thought I was packing strategically, I found I had to dig through all our luggage a lot for that first night. I did not enjoy the transfer process, so, from now on, no split stays for us.

3. AKL-Kidani was amazing for animal viewing. We loved seeing all kinds of animals from lots of different viewing areas. The boys loved the Kidani pool, and The Mara was great for a quick, late night dinner. However, we thought overall it was very dark there, and it was so far away from the rest of the Disney bubble. I'm so glad we tried it, but AKL is a one and done for us.

4. On the other hand, we LOVED VGF. We had only stayed for a long weekend in a regular hotel room at GF in 2016, and we bought in to VGF sight unseen last year. This trip made us realize that we made the right choice for our home resort. We loved everything about our villa and the pools and the proximity to MK. The only downside was the fact that the walking path was closed. We'll be so excited when it opens back up and we can walk to MK!

5. Thanks to DH's lightning fast reflexes, we were able to snag VQs for both Tron and Guardians. Both rides were fantastic and so fun! Downside to Tron: it's really short. Like REALLY short. The VQ is tricky too. We snagged a VQ for our first day in MK, which was also the day we transferred from AK to GF. We had a breakfast reserved at GF Cafe, and we got our boarding notification just as we were about to go eat breakfast. CMs let us know that we needed to hightail it to MK in a hurry; it's not like Guardians where they will let you in later if you miss your boarding group window. If you snooze, you lose. So we had to explain our dilemma to the GF Cafe, and they were LOVELY about cancelling without penalty at the 11th hour. We rushed to MK and waited in a horrible line to tap in to the park, and then rushed to get to the Tron line. We made it with about 10 minutes to spare and it was so fun!! We learned from this experience that if you get into the VQ you need to watch your notifications like a hawk and be ready to drop everything to get to Tron on time. Guardians, on the other hand, is a lot more relaxed. You can arrive well after the boarding group expires and CMs don't care.

6. I had forgotten how long it takes to get from MK to EP via the monorail. We underestimated the time we needed to allot for this. Catching monorails was very hit or miss for us, and I had forgotten the actual length of time it takes to get from the TTC to Epcot. Note to self for future trips...give yourself plenty of time! On the flip side, we had really good experiences catching busses at VGF; we did not have to wait long at all for busses to the parks, which was a pleasant surprise.

7. Speaking of transportation, we booked Sunshine Flyer to transport us from MCO to AKL. NEVER AGAIN! We were the 4th stop on the SF and we were on the bus for just short of two hours! The stops before us were all over the place...SF folks made no effort to group resorts that were close to one another. We went to Coronado Springs, All Star Music, and Caribbean Beach before being dropped at AK. I thought this might have been a one time weird situation, but DS who flew in a couple days after us had the same experience with SF. He was the 5th stop and was on the bus well over two hours. Again, the stops had the SF criss crossing all of the Disney properties before dropping DS at the VGF. Note to self: spend the money to call an Uber from MCO!

8. We did the Disney After Hours event at HS on 3/29 and had a FANTASTIC experience! Yes, the lines were long from about 9:30-10 pm, but after 10 pm, we felt as though we had the park to ourselves. It was so much fun to have very short lines and be able to ride things multiple times. We also saw Chewy walking around the Star Wars area, and we got lots of time to hang out with and hug Daisy and Donald Duck...we had them all to ourselves! The only downside was that we felt there were not many snack carts available. They were very spread out. For example, there were no snack carts in the whole Star Wars area, and there were none that we could see at the very front of the park. We had the best luck with snack carts by the Muppets area and by Tower of Terror. I would definitely do an after hours event again!

9. We enjoyed great food during our trip. Our favorite meals were at Steakhouse 71 and (surprisingly) at Beaches and Cream. We enjoyed drinks at The Enchanted Rose two nights in a row, and we enjoyed the food booths in Epcot as well. Our best CM interaction was with "Uncle Dale", our waiter at 50's Prime Time Cafe...he was hilarious! DH and I realized we have to get better at asking for DVC discounts at TS restaurants. We forgot to mention that we are DVC at several places...ggggrrr. Hazard of being DVC newbies, I guess.

10. Using DVC points, I was really worried about not having daily mousekeeping, and I thought for sure that I would want to purchase a day or two of mousekeeping. Surprisingly, I found myself using the washer/dryer almost daily, and not having to worry about when mousekeeping would come was so freeing. I did a load of towels most days, to keep us in clean, dry towels, and I loved throwing a load of clothes in as needed. I never felt the need to purchase extra mousekeeping. It was nice to have housekeeping on our 4th day, and having trash and towel service on day 8 was great. We were gone most days at the parks, and we discovered our trash and recycling had been emptied almost daily? I assumed that was when CMs came to do checks? Regardless, I found not having daily mousekeeping was just fine. Knowing I can do laundry as needed, I think we'll try to just do carry ons when we fly for future trips.

We had a terrific time, and we feel lucky that our kiddos are still Disney lovers and are still willing to do Disney with us. DH and I left feeling really good about our choice to purchase DVC, and we have already booked a trip for the runDisney event in November. Feel free to ask me any questions!
Nice trip report! I somewhat share your feelings on split stays. I like to unpack, get settled, and not have to worry about packing up again for a week. That said, a 3/4 split stay isn't terrible and is absolutely the only way I would ever split stay again. We did one last year that was a 2/2/3 split stay and I will never, ever, EVER do that again. I think the fact that you only had one night at AKL might have put a sour taste in your mouth for split stays. You should obviously do whatever make you and your family happy, but I wouldn't completely say no to doing a split stay again. Maybe down the road consider a 3/4 split stay if it makes sense...maybe VGF combined with an EPCOT resort like BCV or BWV. Have a full three nights makes it easier to relax and not feel rushed.

It's so great to hear how happy you are with your home resort decision! That's the way it should be :)

Thank you for sharing some of your other tips, like the VQ for Tron. We haven't been to WDW since Tron opened, so we will keep your tips in mind when we go in February. Also, thank you for confirming how bad the Sunshine Flyer is. Personally, we have always taken a private ride from MCO to WDW. It is worth the $$. Even during the days of the Magic Express, we heard nightmare stories from friends who used it. I know it was nostalgic to some, but I would prefer just getting to WDW quickly and not be hearded.

And regarding the daily trash service, this is something they have been doing for a couple years (at least since the reopening after COVID). DVC still "officially" lists trash service as being every 4th day, but on every visit since COVID we have experienced daily trash service. We just got back from Aulani this week and it was the same thing there too. I think they do it as a reason for the room check, which is fine with me.

The nice thing about DVC is you can book your next trip about a month after you get back from your last trip. Welcome home!

@DVCSunDevil thanks so much for your kind words. We're gluttons for punishment. We are doing another "mini" split stay of just one night for our trip in the fall. We are doing the runDisney 5k with friends and staying in a 1 bedroom at CC. I discovered cheaper flights a day early, and we don't have enough points, nor is there availability to add another day onto our 1 bedroom booking. So, I bought OTUP and combined them with our 4 remaining points and booked one night in a Riviera studio. I just bought APs for the first time last week, and it just seemed too tempting to be able to start using our AP.

It will be just DH and me and we won't be lugging teenage boys around, so there's that. I'm hoping that one night at Riviera with just the two of us will be OK? Both DH and I found we didn't love the transferring when we did it in March. However, I'm excited to try two new-to-us resorts as we've never stayed at CC or Riv.

I don't know if I can convince DH to try your 3/4 split stay approach in the future? He likes "nesting" and getting settled, and after our most recent trip, I realized I kind of do too. However, we have a lot of DVC places we haven't tried yet...:P

@DVCSunDevil thanks so much for your kind words. We're gluttons for punishment. We are doing another "mini" split stay of just one night for our trip in the fall. We are doing the runDisney 5k with friends and staying in a 1 bedroom at CC. I discovered cheaper flights a day early, and we don't have enough points, nor is there availability to add another day onto our 1 bedroom booking. So, I bought OTUP and combined them with our 4 remaining points and booked one night in a Riviera studio. I just bought APs for the first time last week, and it just seemed too tempting to be able to start using our AP.

It will be just DH and me and we won't be lugging teenage boys around, so there's that. I'm hoping that one night at Riviera with just the two of us will be OK? Both DH and I found we didn't love the transferring when we did it in March. However, I'm excited to try two new-to-us resorts as we've never stayed at CC or Riv.

I don't know if I can convince DH to try your 3/4 split stay approach in the future? He likes "nesting" and getting settled, and after our most recent trip, I realized I kind of do too. However, we have a lot of DVC places we haven't tried yet...:P
I agree with wanting to see new places. That’s the thing that’s enticing about split stays. Especially when someone is newer to DVC and wants to stay at each resort. However, I will always lean towards full stays at one resort. But if I do a split stay, it will only be of the 3/4 variety going forward. Three nights is a good amount of time to feel settled and get a vibe for the resort. But I definitely agree with your husband on getting settled and not leaving until it’s time to go home.

Let us know how the stay with no kids goes. My wife and I aren’t far away from those kid-less trips to WDW.

@DVCSunDevil I'll definitely report out. DH and I will be empty nesters in the fall. Oldest DS will be a senior in college and youngest DS will be a freshman in college. That's part of why we took the plunge and bought DVC last year and why we jumped at the chance to buy APs. Our boys are still very much Disney lovers, so I see them joining us for future trips, but we will just buy them tickets for the days they'll be with us and book big enough DVC places to accommodate them when they are with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter