just back w/3.5 yr & 10 mo. old. questions??

blewits

Wendy
Everyone here has been so helpful with tips so I just wanted to return the favor. I just came back with our 3 1/2 year old son and 9 1/2 month old daughter. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villas in a 2 bedroom. If anyone has any questions that I could answer I would be happy to. We also attended the MNSSHP and had a character breakfast at Donald's Breakfastsorus (sp) and a character dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

Wendy

could you tell me about the wilderness lodge villas???Did you like them???

What rides did you do with your 9.5 month old? How much did she sleep? We are expecting and hope to go to Disney around that age frame. Also, helpful travel hints to keep your baby in a good mood : )

Jenn

I loved the Wilderness Lodge Villas. The atmosphere is soooo relaxing and so nice to return to after a day at the parks. We had a 2 bdrm. so that was really great - the grandparents went too. The rooms are not as big as they are at Old Key West which we have stayed at before also in a 2 bedroom. At OKW you have 2 sofas in the living room and at WLV you have 1 sofa and 1 chair.

The only complaint I have with WLV is the transportaion is ssslllooowwww! The ferry to MK took sooo long we found it quicker to bus to the TTC and then monorail to MK. When I stayed at OKW 2 years ago, the busses came quick and often.

As far as room location, we were on the bottom floor which we loved! We were in rooms 1537 and 1539 (joining rooms) and they were close to the lobby of the villas and close to the quiet pool.

I will stay there again.

If you have anymore questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

Wendy

Our 9.5 month old rode just about everything she was allowed to ride on unless she was asleep. She rode and/or saw:
Peter Pan
Small World
Magic carpets of Aladin
Pooh ride
Buzz Lightyear ride
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle cruise
Kilamanjaro safari
That new dinasour ride that is like the Dumbo ride (cant remember the name right now)
Choo Choo train
Spaceship earth
The land boat ride
Universe of energy
Cinderellas carousel
Beauty and the Beast show
Lion King show

Thats all I can remember for now. I think thats just about everything.

We did not ride haunted mansion or snow white because of the scare factor (more for the 3 and 1/2 year old not the 9 month old). My 9.5 month old loved just about everything. There is soooo much for them to look at. She especially enjoyed the characters and the parades. Don't miss the stars and motor cars parade - it was fantastic.

Both children did great. We would let her nap just whenever she fell asleep, either in our arms or in her stroller. We went back to the room every afternoon for lunch and a nap then went back out to the parks. I was afraid that she might not nap in the stroller but when they get tired enough they will nap ANYWHERE! She would take about a 30 min. power nap and then be ready to go again. Then a big nap in mid afternoon at the hotel.

Hope this helps, any more questions....just ask.

Wendy

How was Donald's? This is my seven year old's choice for a character breakfast. I've heard that the character interaction isn't that great, what did you think? Also, is the food any good?

Wendy,
Thanks for an interesting thread! As it happens, when we are at WDW in May 2003 my DS will be almost 3 years and my DD will be 11 months. Very close to your kids ages. We too are staying at a home away from home resort. (rented points at BWV's) I almost picked VWL but I was worried about the slow transportation. I have been wondering how the kids are going to be...We too plan to do naps in the afternoon. How did your kids handle all of the excitement? Any meltdowns? What did you take for a stroller? How did that work out? How did the kiddos do at restaraunts? Did you just avoid them? What did the kids think of the characters up close? Did you do Illuminations or Fantasmic? Too late or too loud? Oh and did your 3.5year old do Pirates too? Was he scared at all? I know it is a lot of questions but I am one of those planners! Thanks so much for any advice!
Jean:D

if you don't mind my asking...are the villas very expensive? How many do they sleep? Is that a DVC or can anyone stay there?

We are taking my parents next year and that means 8 people! We would need 3 regular rooms so I wondered if this option would be cheaper or at least more convinient option

Thanks so much!

mom2smjn,
I can answer at least about the villa question. They are the DVC resorts but anyone may stay there. If you are not a DVC member you can pay the rack rate (expensive!) or you can rent points from a member. We are renting points and for a two bedroom at BWV's in May, Sunday night- leave Fri morning(5 nights) I think it is around 34 points or $340 per night. (that's paying the going rate of $10.00 per point) I think the rack rate is $705 per night plus taxes! No taxes on renting either. I think it is a super deal! Check out the Rent/ trade board on these Dis boards for more info....Good Luck!

TigerLilly's Mom,

I hate to be negative but my honest opinion of Donald's breakfast . . . .. . . . the worst we've ever done. The character interaction was very little compared to other character meals I have done and the food was the worst I've had. There were 3 characters Donald, Goofy and Pluto and that was it. They came over to the table but left very quickly and we would have missed the third character had we not hung around long enough. We were a family of 4 and 2 grandparents and none of us were happy with the food. Just to give you an idea, these are character meals I am comparing it to that we have done in the past:

1900 Park Fair - both breakfast (Alice, Mad Hatter, Gepetto, Minnie Mouse, Queen of Hearts, Mary Poppins & Phinnoco) and dinner (Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and Eeyore)

Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary - Donald, Goofy, Mickey and Minnie, Chip and Dale

I would strongly recommend chosing another meal if you can talk your daughter into it. Call Chef Mickeys and see if Donald still appears at breakfast there.

Jean,

I'm a planner too so dont worry about the number of questions, I get it.

We didn't have any major meltdowns. I will admit it was almost a sensory overload in the first 2 days for the 3 yr. old. But we talked to him about Disney World for about 45 days before we left to explain what we would see, who we would see, the rides, etc. and I think that helped alot. What I did was make a paper chain (an idea i got from Deb's site i think) and we would remove a link every night to show him how much longer before we would leave. Also, I bought the Birnbaums WDW guide book for kids, by kids and read him sections out of it at bedtime to help him prepare for the rides, etc. While in the parks, etc. I just made sure my son knew that I expected the same behavior out of him in WDW as I would anywhere else or at home. Once he realized that, he was fine. He realized that he couldn't get away with anything more than usual and he could still get in trouble there just like anywhere else.

Both did great in the restaurants, mostly we ate character meals in restaurants. Other meals were eaten in the room or a hot dog on a bench.

My children LOVED the characters up close. If you have any place near your home where there are any kind of characters dressed up, take them there to see how they will react. We did a Christmas thing last year where they had a reindeer, snowman, and some other characters dressed up. My son loved them and that didn't change in the World. It was a good indicator. Some kids are afraid and some just aren't.

My parents took my son to Fantasmic twice. I did not see it. I was worried about my son seeing it because he is very afraid of the dark and "bad guys" but he did great. He actually loved it because the "good guys" won. To help my son on dark rides (and we did do Pirates), I bought him a small not so bright flashlight and that gave him some sense of security. Also, if he got scared, one of the grown ups would put him in their lap and he would be okay. He even did splash mountain and big thunder mtn. railroad - i couldn't believe it.

Hope thats everything. If I forgot something just ask.

wendy

mom2smjn,

I "rented" points for $9.00 a point. The dvc discussion board can explain all of this in detail. If you are patient you can get them for about $9.00 a point maybe even a wee bit cheaper. Shame on me but I can't remember the total because we paid it so long ago to our "leasor". I do know that it was CONSIDERABLY cheaper to do it this way than to go directly thru disney. I STRONGLY reccomend a home away from home resort if you have that many people. I would almost reccomend Old Key West for your group. The accomodations are extremely large and and I think they even have 3 bedrooms there. You have a large living room (2 sofas), large kitchen w/table seating for 4. 2 balconies with a table and 4 chairs each, a full size laundry room, and the sofa also folds out into a bed. Price that option and also check rates on the Ft. Wilderness homes. You get two of those side by side. Each of those sleeps 6.

Any more questions, just ask

wendy

Forgot a few things.

We took our own strollers (2 umbrellas). I highly recommend going that way vs. renting.

To entertain kids in car/plane check www.momsminivan.com for some great ideas. infants love bubbles and balloons

One thing I learned is that everything moves on a much slower scale. If you want to see and do alot of rides/shows I recommend (and it pains me to say this), skipping Epcot. We did future world (not world showcase) but would have spent our time better in MGM studios or Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom. Part of the reason is the crowds were unusually heavy for October. It took us 2 or 3 trips just to do all we wanted to do in MK. Part of that reason too is that my son loved, loved, loved the characters so we spent alot of time doing that. Same for MGM. 2 days to do all we wanted to do. This is also taking into consideration the shorter park hours for off season.

Wendy,
Did you have reclining umbrellas w/canopies? How did the older child fit in the stroller? I am probably going to bring 2 separate strollers as you did. I have a side by side but it is bulky and my DS can't seem to stop touching the baby!!!! What brand do you have???
thanks!

Jean,

I really liked having 2 strollers. I had one 'el cheapo ($9.99 at your local Wal-Mart) umbrella w/no sun shade or basket for the 3 year old that worked fine for him. I just put a hat and sunscreen on him. Something to think about though, if you're going in May, I would reccomend the sun shade. Florida October sun is very different than Florida May sun. I think thats when you said yall were going.

For the 10 month old I found a sweet deal on an Evenflo stroller at Sears. I am pretty sure it was being discontinued because I only paid like $28.00 for it and it does recline and has a basket underneath and a sun shade. The awesome things about this one were the fact that it did recline, extremely light weight aluminum frame, steered better than any stroller I have used, removable sun shade, and the front bar that goes across the front of the seat is removable so that I could remove it for the older child but keep it on there for the baby. BIG PLUS! Mine also folds extremely easy. It folds in the normal way as well as there is a hinge on the footrest so it will fold even more compactly. Look for this and an aluminum frame when you are shopping. I think I have a version of their Featherlight stroller which they are always improving and coming out with new models. Mine is probably last years model.

Hope that helps. Oh, and make sure you have a basket or an attachable carry bag on it to put all your junk in. That was invaluable!

Wendy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter