Just cashed in

Tamie

Mouseketeer
I just went to the bank to cash in our Mickey Money. We have a big plastic Coke bottle that we have been putting our change into since last summer for Mickey's House. We finally filled it up and took it to the bank. We managed to save $948 plus some change (we put that back in to Mickey's Money Jar. I could not believe it. We will be trying to fill it up again before we leave in November.

It is a great way to get the kids involved in saving it. My DS (5) know exactly what the jar it for. He just had a birthday and our Uncle came over and gave him $5. Without my DH or myself saying anything, he went over the the jar and put it in there. We normally don't put dollar bills in there, just change, but I thought it was great. My DD (12) also puts her leftover change in there too.

I have been saving spare change and putting it in my son's huge baby bottle bank since he was born. I normally don't have a lot of change since I pay most everything with my debit card instead of cash. I have told him since he was old enough to understand that that was HIS Disney money.

He is 4-1/2 now and we rolled all of it the other day (mostly pennies it took F O R E V E R!). I was thinking maybe $ 40 - $ 50 tops.

Imagine my surprise when it came out to be $ 160.00!!!

True to my word I converted it over into Disney Dollars and put this up for him to use when we go 11/28 - 12/02. :)

This is a painless way to save money. At the end of the day we just throw our change in. another thing that I do is that any money found in the washer must go in the change jar. This includes paper money. It was sad to see that twenty go in there but it helped pay for our last trip to disney. I figure if I forgot in the clothes than I won't miss and in the jar it goes. It is amazing how much that stuff adds up to over time.

Hi Pete's Mom.

I noticed that your dates match that of the DIS-Con, are you coming??? I haven't seen you on the convention board, so I thought I'd ask. :)

Tia (aka luvdsny)

kool! I have done this also, one year....in 2 weeeks we had our plane fare!!!(doing a paperroute...alot of change!!)

Hi luvdsny

Where can I look for some info on DIS-Con? I would love to sign up.

I sent you an e-mail looking for details.

Thanks,
Pete's Mom:)

Good Morning Pete's Mom.

I'll check my e-mail and respond as soon as I get home from taking DD to school. :)

:bounce:

Wow Tamie!!! That is incredible!! How on earth did you ever save 948.00 in change? How many people were putting into the bank? Any details would be great... I might have to try something like this for next time around....

WOW! Over $900 is INCREDIBLE!!! Makes me want to go and start counting up the little change catchers we have in a number of places around our house! I could REALLY use the $$$ for our trip in 11 days!!! :D

There are four of us collecting change. My husband gets alot from work (tow truck driver) and I used to be a waitress up till recently, never cashed in my change. When I go shopping I always give them bills and keep all the change to collect. It was great to fill up the bottle and cash it in.

I'm saving my change too! I can only hope that it adds up to something as significant as $900.00 :bounce:

I too love to save my change. I have a Mickey mouse bank and I put all my change in there. When I am ready to go to WDW, I count all the change-covert it to dollars and then go to the Disney store to turn it into Disney Dollars. I like to use this as my souvenir money. For some reason I like to use it at the outlets(Always go there on my first day) and then what ever is left over toward the end of my trip I use it within the parks. I call this money "free money" because it is almost like a gift.

I usually go to WDW every few months so I cash in the change alot. For example, Sept 2000 -March 2001 I had about $50 in the Mickey Bank. I was not very good about putting change in there. But, Since March I have made more of an effort and can not wait to see what I have for my September trip. My next trip after that is Dec...not too much time to start saving it up again.
Jennifer

Wow, $948? Did you have to get a forklift to take it to the bank? ;) ;) ;)

You'd make a great commercial for Disney: "Come to WDW for pocket change!" :D

Needless to say neither me nor DH could move it or carry it. We kinda dumped it over and poured into gallon ice cream containers. Went to the bank twice. They have the machine to count it so thankfully we did not have to roll it all.

We did start saving again, I can't wait to see what we have in November.

Tamie...I read your thread yesterday morning (I think) and after, I went and gathered all my change jars and rolled it all up...I had a little over $400 in mine!! I was so inspired by your thread!! I hadn't even thought about my jars spread throughout the house until I read your post!! :)

$900 is awesome!! and you are so lucky to have the bank count it all for you!! :)

Beth...I sure do hope we will run into each other at Disney!! 12 more days for us!! :)

Beaniejumper

Isn't amazing the amount of money you can save just by keeping your change. $400 is a good amount of money also. Look at the extra spending money you now have for WDW.

Yes, I am lucky that our Credit Union will sort it and count it for me. I thought that most banks do, with some that will charge you to do it. Our does not. You should check with your bank and find out if they do. Until I came to Wisconsin and got this account, I thought that you had to roll it too. Its worth a try asking, since it takes soooo long to separate, count and roll it.

NOT In Miami! They do Nothing extra for nothing here! I called 3 banks and they said to roll them myself!:mad: I think I will invest in one of the auto-rollers I see in some of the magazines!:rolleyes:

I think thats great!!

We keep all our change in a plastic coke bottle and we have about $300 saved so far. I never carry cash, but my husband dumps all his change in it every day - about $2 a day or so. And any change we find around the house, or in the washer goes in as well.

Its an easy way to save money, and it adds up FAST!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter