Just joined AARP/Natl. Discount

hercamore

<font color=blue>beagle boy mom<br><font color=tea
Hi,

I have had a January reservation with National for a fullsize for awhile now. Price with Disney Club/ent. coupon $182 inclusive of fees.

but, I just turned 50 and decided to check out the AARP website for car rental discounts.

Lower price thru AARP link with National.Full size $162 with ent. coupon and inclusive of fees. Saved $20. The actual discount was only 15% but the base rate was much lower than my old reservation base rate.

That will buy my membership for 2 years. Yay, every little bit helps.

Herc.

Herc,
I just dropped my rate for Feb. to 156.39 total, one week with the 15.00 coupon I found on the internet. Full size, EA. Keep checking, it drops, sometimes often.

Wow, Gail, nice job. I thought I had a decent rate!

We leave on Thursday, so I'll just stick with this reser.

Too many other things to worry about, LOL.

Herc.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time. Heck, I check right up until the last minute. I am so compulsive that way. LOL.

Thank you, Gail.

I know we are going to have a great time.

Herc.

I have used the AARP discount with National. I recently cancelled a National reservation and switched to the Avis rate with AARP. I was suprised that Avis beat the National rate but they did - so we switched reservations. AARP seems to be a good deal so far.

Bob,
That is interesting. I have a National rental for 156.39 for a full sized car off the EA. I used the AARP code and a 15.00 coupon from the net. How did you do?

Gail - I used the AARp code with National first and had a rate of $216. I did this a couple months ago. I then tried the Avis AARP code and found a rate of $175. After this I kept following it and found that National full size rates were dropping at MCO but to my knowledge they didn't get down to the Avis price. Good idea using the coupon with the AARP code I have been under the impression you can't combine discount rates and coupons???Where did you find the coupon and how do you apply it when you reserve online? Or do they honor the coupon when you arrive?
Maybe I should do some more investigating. Have a great vacation!

Gail -
thank you for the information. I just found another option while re-checking my car reservations to see if I could get a better price. I am not really a fan of Alamo but I decided to check their rates today since they are now at the airport in Orlando and saw they have a special running that gives you a full size Buick Century for $144 per week base rate. It winds up in the $170's with taxes and charges. If your $156.39 was a base rate not including taxes and charges you may want to check it out. I am amazed at how much the rates float around especially for rentals at Orlando International Airport. When we travel to some destinations (Hilton Head, Bermuda, Phoenix for example) I usually have to grab a good rate early and then the rates just seem to increase the closer I get to travel time. With Orlando it seems you never know when the best rates are going to come. It might be the day before your vacation? Any idea what causes this? Maybe it is just a more competitive market.

I think I may have beat you all. I used a code from Mary's Mousesaver website for an upcoming trip to Ft Lauderdale. I was able to get a Full Size with Emerald Aisle service for 108.00 base rate for a week, 143.00 and change with all taxes etc. I was going to pay 112 plus tax for an economy car so I am pretty happy. I used a code that anyone can use and a coupon so it really added up.

Sgt Disney,
Good going!!!!! I drove myself absolutely batty trying all the codes Mary has and none came out as well as the AARP and the 15.00 coupon I found through one of her links. This is for MCO.
I am not sure how I would have fared in Ft. Lauderdale, which is a different market, but a great rate. :)

Just an update. Went to the National site, plugged in the AARP code and the coupon code and my rate dropped to 144.46 with all taxes, fees and etc. Not too bad!!!! This is for a full size on the Emerald Aisle. It started at 189. and change. This is becoming a sport for me!!!!!

I am determined to catch up with Sgt. Disney. LOL :)

gail

what is the servlet url again.....

it was truncated when you posted it and thus failed to get to that national site where the coupon was

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Just an update. Went to the National site, plugged in the AARP code and the coupon code and my rate dropped to 144.46 with all taxes, fees and etc. Not too bad!!!! This is for a full size on the Emerald Aisle. It started at 189. and change. This is becoming a sport for me!!!!!

I am determined to catch up with Sgt. Disney. LOL :)

LOL!! :D You have almost caught up to me, I am at 143.96 hehe.. Only .50 cents to go!!! You have to love Mary's site. She really can, and has, saved me some money.

LOL!! You have almost caught up to me, I am at 143.96 hehe.. Only .50 cents to go!!! You have to love Mary's site. She really can, and has, saved me some money.

Lol, right you are!!! That is how I found out about the AARP discount. Not sure where I found out about the coupon, however, memory fails.

Wow, only .50 cents to go......hmmm, should have taken the counter offer rather than the EI, then I would have had YOU by 1.58. :)

I just changed my code from old DC club to AARP and coupled with the Entertainment $15 coupon, I was able to get it down to $139.06 for a 5 day (weekly) rental, full size, using EA.
My original reservation was using NHOL, DC and EA $141.29. Every little bit helps. We leave in 21 days.

Good for you!!!! Every little bit does help.
Just make sure you bring that AARP card with you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter