Not open for further replies.

txtara

Mouseketeer
I was on the "Fire" cruise last march.....my fil got was sounds like
the same stomach bug.....there were many people on board who
had the same bug....now everyone is talking about compensation
from being sick on board.....did the people really get a free 3 day
cruise?....our ship was on fire....we feared our lives....we got
what amounts to diddly squat!!!I am just a little disheartened that a stomach bug seems more important than a burning ship...

It was the magic....it caught on fire in the middle of the night...
the smoke stack was on fire....we were at our muster stations
at 4 am with life vests on ready to evacuate.....a stomach bug on a ship does not cause any long term psychological problems....but
I can guarantee a burning ship does.....oh this was in March

I never heard about that! I'm glad everything and everyone was ok in the end! I can only imagine how terrifiying that must have been! I agree with yout that that is A LOT worse than a stomach bug!!

I to was on the fire cruise and knew of several people who were also sick with a stomach virus on our cruise.

I also was wondering what the compensation would be for the sick people. My daughter breathed alot of smoke during the fire and had to see our family doctor after we returned home because she was still coughing and the only compensation we were offered other than the $100 per stateroom was possible reimbursement of medical expenses.

My dd also got an ear infection on the cruise and while we were
in the infirmary there were 5 other people there with the stomach thing.....we got 100 bucks....big deal...25 per person in my party....it just kills me.....the last 2 days of our trip were spent
worrying about our safety....and even now I think back and think
about the what if's....

Okay, I am sure that I will be called a big meanie for what I am about to say and they might even close this thread (which, in my opinion would be a good thing) or delete this, but I can't help saying it.

I am sorry. There is a risk in everything that we do. Every time you send your kids to school, you are risking that they will get sick. Every time you interact with anyone you are risking an illness. Who do you blame then? Do you go to the school and demand compensation? Do you sue your friends who might be carrying a virus unknowingly?
No, of course not. So why do people seem to expect compensation from DCL because they didn't feel good on their vacation?

I am sure that the fire cruise was pretty eventful and I can only imagine the 'Titanic' thoughts that were rolling through people's heads when they heard that siren and had to get to their muster stations. I'll bet it was pretty darn scary. The point is, though, that you took a RISK when you decided to go on that boat and from what I've read and seen, Disney handled the event with great skill and everyone was safe. Inconvenienced? Sure, but there was a risk that an emergency situation could arise and anyone who sails agrees to take that risk. Disney's quick action kept the situation from going further than it did, and THAT is what they are responsible for doing. They did their job. They made an agreement with you to keep the ship as safe as their ability allows and they did that. The trip didn't have to be cut short and all anyone lost was a little sleep over it. Why then should further compensation be expected? They did what you paid them to do. If ANYONE deserves anything out of that, it is a letter from each and every family on that boat thanking the crew for their quick and safe response to the situation. The fact that Disney offered a stateroom credit was above and beyond the call, in my opinion. Someone mentioned that they also said they'd handle any medical bills that the fire caused their daughter, this too was the right thing to do and they did it. They did what they should have done and to think that you are entitled to more is just silly.

As far as the posts here where people are reporting that a few people were sick on their cruise and they are lamenting the fact that THEY were not compensated, I just want to say that there is probably someone sick on EVERY cruise from something. I can tell you for sure that there was someone sick on a three-day cruise in April of 2000, because that someone was me. It was my honeymoon and I came down with a NASTY bug. Was this Disney's fault? Of course not! We were not compensated, even though I didn't get to do everything on the ship I'd like to because of how I felt. Getting sick is just something that happens.

I'm sorry to be the big meanie here, but excepting the 200+ cruisers on last week's ship that got sick, I hardly believe that Disney 'owes' something to everyone who gets sick on the cruise. It just happens sometimes. Were Disney at fault (I.E. bad food or general lack of cleanliness) then yes, the situation would be different. This thread just seems like some people lamenting that they didn't get something for nothing. This thread, and other posts elsewhere, is a prime example of exactly why Disney, and any major company for that matter, is hesitant to do too much in the way of compensation when things go wrong. Now that they have compensated these people, it seems that people are coming out of the woodwork wondering why THEY were not compensated as well.

Think that I am being mean if you'd like but I have heard of very few situations where I believe that DCL had a responsibility to compensate people for unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances that developed on their cruise vacations.

Kathy

It Seems like people are coming out of the wood work wanting Disney to GIVE them something. I was sick at Disney World last year and came down with with a virus, maybe I should also demand to be compensated. It is never fun to be sick on vacation, but hey it happens. Maybe we should take action against Daycare any time our children get a virus or earache. This just seems to be getting a little ridiculous.

Obviously we were all thinking the same thing! MartyP, from the moment I heard that Disney was compensating last weeks' sick cruisers I thought of you and your family.

First of all...I'm not looking for a handout, or any compensation for our "fire cruise".

Re: "...all anyone lost was a little sleep over it."

Schmoogrrrl, that's not true. With due respect, you obviously don't understand.

Obviously we were all thinking the same thing! MartyP, from the moment I heard that Disney was compensating last weeks' sick cruisers I thought of you and your family.

First of all...I'm not looking for a handout, or any compensation for our "fire cruise".

I can understand everyone being upset about this and it's really not fair to attack those who want a little sympathy. This is a place where we can vent! txtara is just looking for others who understand how she feels.

Kathy, I don't understand why you say the sick cruisers should be compensated. It seems to me that Disney is doing everything they can to prevent the illness from spreading. Why do those people deserve compensation more than the people on the "fire cruise"?

I'm not saying that anyone should or should not get paid for their troubles, but I am curious as to why you think those sick 200 should be an exception. When we sailed on the Wonder it seemed like they were always cleaning. If an illness spread quickly among people in close quarters, why is that Disney's fault? Is a fire that could possibly have been prevented (although I have no idea what caused it) any less their fault?

i guess in a way we could go round and round with the compensation issue....but how about the people who planned this vacation on the Magic and it gets cancelled the day before Thanksgiving....kind of tough for 2500 people to make other plans on short notice...yes...I am one of the lucky one's that could swing a couple of things around and make other arrangements...but how about the families that spent $2000.00 just for airfare.....and do you think Delta will do anything for your airfare because Disney cancelled a cruise....should Disney have to compensate you for the loss of airfare or the $100.00 per ticket just to change them to a future date? I don't know what is fair...but the stress that many of us had to endure trying to make other plans after spending a year making these is a bit unfair....so what do I deserve....a great time on the Wonder with a lot of happy people....and if someone get's a 3 day cruise because they got sick on the 11/16 or 11/23 cruise...I hope they truly enjoy it....life is too short and as the book says..."Don't sweat the small stuff....unless it is my Disney Cruise vacation!
Tom.....and 3 days left to the "WONDER"!!!:)

Originally posted by Gillian
Kathy, I don't understand why you say the sick cruisers should be compensated. It seems to me that Disney is doing everything they can to prevent the illness from spreading. Why do those people deserve compensation more than the people on the "fire cruise"?

Ahhh! But I don't think that everyone should be compensated for the Sick cruise either. Perhaps a case could be made for those who got sick last week, because Disney did have to lock a lot of them down in their cabins to try to contain the virus (and only those people should be compensated) but the people who sailed this week shouldn't get any sort of compensation in my eyes either. They had the chance to back out and they knew the risks. Disney said they were scrubbing the ship down. but never promised a virus free cruise, so I don't believe that they are owed anything.

As far as venting goes, I agree that venting is good! I was venting too, it is just that my opinion might not agree with the opinion of the OP. That doesn't make my opinion any less valid. I'd actually like to debate the whole "Should I respond to a public post if I don't have something full of sweetness and light to say" issue, but I'd imagine we should move it to the debate board. :)

It is't a big deal, or the end of the world, for us to disagree. :)

Kathy

Originally posted by plutospup

What did they lose? The comfort of thinking they were safe on the ship? Maybe, but it had to occur to everyone on that ship that it was in the relm of possibility that something COULD happen while they were on a vessel floating in the ocean.

Kathy

Tom,

First of all, let me say that I think that canceling a cruise is a completely different issue than things that happen on the ship that are out of Disney's control.

I'm sure that if you booked your airfare through Disney that they would have given you that money back. Anyone who didn't (and we never do) takes that risk. They know there is a possibility that it will be canceled. If dealing with the airfare was going to be such a hardship, it would have probably been better to let Disney handle it. Nowhere does Disney claim to be responsible for airfare not booked through them.

I TOTALLY agree that it is terrible that Disney had to cancel the trip next week. If I were on that sailing, I'd probably be too busy bawling into my pillow to argue silly things like this. If what we have heard is correct, however, I think Disney is totally doing the right thing. Everyone can get their money back to cruise again (all they technically owe to the guests) and on top of that, a coupon to cruise again at 50% off! That sounds like they are trying to make up for the situation. A situation, again, I might add that isn't their making. What more do you want? No matter WHAT Disney does, they can't make up for the vacations that were lost, or the heartbreak that a parent will go through when they tell their 5 year old that he or she doesn't get to go on the Mickey boat after all. Would a free cruise somehow make all that better? No. Besides, it sounds as if Disney IS trying to help when they can. Was it your family that was given a better rate for the Wonder, plus comped travel to and from the ship?

You are right, we could argue this all day, and I doubt we will change each other's minds. 8-) Lucky for us it is okay to have different opinions!

Ohhh! Look at the time! It is after Midnight here in VA. Happy Turkey Day!

Kathy

Hey! Just because I am sure that the poor Moderators would like to enjoy their Turkey and not worry about us, I started a thread about this on the debate board so that we could go over there and take it off the DCL board! Hopefully you'll come on over and feel free to give your opinion if you wish!

You can find the thread here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296866

Thanks!

Happy Turkey Day!

Kathy

In MOST cases (not all), the 50% off for the cruise will more than compensate for air fare changes that need to be made. Friends of mine have already rebooked, changed their air reservations (cost $300 for family of three), upgraded their cabin from and still saved $1000!. They are elated! I would also think that depending on the coverage subscribed for, that trip insurance would cover any financial loss. If you elected NOT to get trip insurance, then you should know the loss potential going in and have been willing to take that risk knowingly. In my view DCL has been aggressive in attacking this problem and very fair with the guests. How can anyone believe that $$$ is a perscription for the illness anyway? It doesn't cure the illness, but it makes getting sick OK??? Consider too those folks at DCL who are dealing with several thousand irate, ill, demanding, and yes, understanding guests whose vacation was thrown into a tizzy! Their Thanksgiving surely is NOT going to be a pleasant weekend. In my view, they certainly deserve, in the very least, some commendation and a very large 'thank you.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter