• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just returned from the Magic - Few Thoughts

pezgirlroy

DIS Veteran
We just disembarked from the Magic yesterday. It was a 5 day cruise from Miami going to Key West, Nassau, Castway Cay with one Sea Day. It was my family with a 8 year old and a 2 year old who turned 3 on board. Plus my parents. We were in two connecting Concierge rooms. Overall it was a fantastic cruise. The biggest takeaway is that 5 days is too short for us. We did a 7 day last year and that is the preference. Felt a bit rushed at the end.

We had been on the Fantasy the year before. I preferred the Magic. My husband the Fantasy.

Couple of items about Concierge - The lounge was great. The hosts were amazing. Really amazing with my girls. They took great care of us. The coffee machine is still wonderful. The drinks were great. Food offerings okay. The bagged popcorn was better than what we had on the Fantasy.

Room - We did have individual bottles of toiletries. This will eventually be changing for Concierge but hadn't for us yet.

Food - Honestly the food wasn't great. Palo was wonderful. The shwarma station was fantastic. The MDR food was really just okay. I did love the theming of Rapunzels. True that there are no covers for drinks in the dinning rooms so plan accordingly. I kept forgetting the special lid I brought so we just asked that drinks not be filled to the top.

Ports - Key West was lovely. But the winner for the tour was Nassau. We did the Junkanoo Discovery and Forts tour (something like that). It was wonderful. I hate when people always say to stay on the ship. Stay on the ship if you would like but if you are looking for something that has a culture check this one out. The couple who ran the museum are just wonderful. My husband went on the Scuba port adventure. He was the only one. :) He said it was great.

Shows - The shows were fun. Other than Dumbo which my daughter hated.

Kids Club was great as always. And the nursery. So many characters visited both places.

The character lines were a bit longer than I remember from last year.

I was on the same cruise - first time on the Magic. We were on the Fantasy last year and Dream before that. Husband and I preferred Magic, DD (age 8) liked Fantasy because there was "more to do." However, we filled our days without problems! Agree with you on Key West - I really enjoyed that stop. We stayed on at Nassau as we were tired from Key West.

Stand out MDR entree for us: chicken schnitzel on the last night at Rapunzel's for me, and salmon (either Lumiere's or Rapunzel - can't remember which) for DH. We had Palo brunch as well. I loved it, husband thought the red snapper on Fantasy was better last year.

Staff was excellent and we enjoyed all the shows. We skipped Dumbo as no one was interested. Have to say the towel folding class was a hoot and DD really got into it.

I was on the same cruise - first time on the Magic. We were on the Fantasy last year and Dream before that. Husband and I preferred Magic, DD (age 8) liked Fantasy because there was "more to do." However, we filled our days without problems! Agree with you on Key West - I really enjoyed that stop. We stayed on at Nassau as we were tired from Key West.

Stand out MDR entree for us: chicken schnitzel on the last night at Rapunzel's for me, and salmon (either Lumiere's or Rapunzel - can't remember which) for DH. We had Palo brunch as well. I loved it, husband thought the red snapper on Fantasy was better last year.

Staff was excellent and we enjoyed all the shows. We skipped Dumbo as no one was interested. Have to say the towel folding class was a hoot and DD really got into it.
My husband could not stand the schinitzel. :) Funny how it is always different for everyone. Palo diner was just amazing.

We sailed the Magic a few weeks ago, and also sailed her for our first cruise a few years ago. We've sailed each of the other ships during the years in between. I agree with you about the food on her being underwhelming. We've liked the MDR food better on every other DCL ship.

My husband could not stand the schinitzel. :) Funny how it is always different for everyone.

I actually thought maybe my chicken got mixed up with a Palo plate. :-) It was tender, juicy, and not overcooked to rubber as unfortunately seems to happen quite frequently.

I think MDR is really hit or miss. There was nothing that was terrible, but not that much that really stands out. But I didn't have to prep, serve, or clean up after so I'm good with it.

I actually thought maybe my chicken got mixed up with a Palo plate. :-) It was tender, juicy, and not overcooked to rubber as unfortunately seems to happen quite frequently.

I think MDR is really hit or miss. There was nothing that was terrible, but not that much that really stands out. But I didn't have to prep, serve, or clean up after so I'm good with it.
Ha. Right though. I don't have to cook it so I am just fine with it. :) My kids loved the soups.

Glad to know you enjoyed the cruise. We'll be doing this same cruise next week. First Disney Cruise for my 5 grand-kids and they are beyond excited!! Everyday they have a new question for me. Today they wanted to know what time the Pirate Party is? For your cruise was it between the dinners or later in the evening

Was this a Marvel cruise and that's why you were able to meet Spiderman and Hawkeye? I wonder if Vampirina is on all Magic cruises?

Glad to know you enjoyed the cruise. We'll be doing this same cruise next week. First Disney Cruise for my 5 grand-kids and they are beyond excited!! Everyday they have a new question for me. Today they wanted to know what time the Pirate Party is? For your cruise was it between the dinners or later in the evening
Okay that was a negative. It was at 10. So only my husband and I went. There were tons of kids up for it though.

We board this Sunday we have the Royal suite booked we are beyond excited, who are current concierge hosts, wondering if Alina or Nicky are still aboard?
thanks
chris

We board this Sunday we have the Royal suite booked we are beyond excited, who are current concierge hosts, wondering if Alina or Nicky are still aboard?
thanks
chris
Yep both of them. It was Alina, Nicky, and Emmaneula. They were all wonderful.

Was this a Marvel cruise and that's why you were able to meet Spiderman and Hawkeye? I wonder if Vampirina is on all Magic cruises?

We had Vampirina on the Fantasy this past Jan. She replaced Jake(pirate) at the character breakfast since his show was cancelled. Not sure if she did other greetings on the ship, since we never go to those anymore. I would assume she does other appearances and that she's on all the ships, but don't know for sure.

We had Vampirina on the Fantasy this past Jan. She replaced Jake(pirate) at the character breakfast since his show was cancelled. Not sure if she did other greetings on the ship, since we never go to those anymore. I would assume she does other appearances and that she's on all the ships, but don't know for sure.
She also visits the kids club.

What excursion did you did in Key West? We already have a cruise booked for 2020, but am thinking of maybe doing this cruise for 2021 Spring break. We always do 7night cruises, so not happy that this would only be 5 nights, but haven't been on the Magic in a long time.

What excursion did you did in Key West? We already have a cruise booked for 2020, but am thinking of maybe doing this cruise for 2021 Spring break. We always do 7night cruises, so not happy that this would only be 5 nights, but haven't been on the Magic in a long time.
We did not do an excursion. Just got off the boat. We did the Conch train. Honestly I wouldn't recommend it for small kids because they were board. In my mind there is no need to book an excursion. I would just get off and explore.

I can't advise anout excursions, but will point out that Hemingway's house & Truman's "Little White House" are on Key West.

Sounds like you had a great trip :) Do you remember who the entertainment host and staff was? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter