• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just returned from the Magic - Few Thoughts

Sounds like you had a great trip :) Do you remember who the entertainment host and staff was? Thanks!

We were on the magic last week - the cruise before the OP. The cruise director was Trent. Commodore Tom was also there. That is all I remember.

We were not impressed with the Magic - my whole family much preferred the fantasy. The adult only areas on the magic were lacking and there weren’t enough lounge chairs on sea days.

Had you sailed Concierge on the Fantasy? Was it much of an obstacle not being on the same floor as the lounge on the Magic? (On the Dream, we loved being able to grab breakfast and coffee right across the hall.) Any other big Concierge differences? Thanks so much!

Sorry put something and then thought better of it. But don't judge people for staying on board.

Thanks for sharing your honest impress of the food onboard. We were not wowed by the food onboard DCL in December 2017 (we thought it ranged from fine to very good), and since then, I've heard numerous reviewers specifically point out that the food was disappointing or just okay. We will sail again later this year, and I'm disappointed that DCL hasn't begun putting more effort into the food, although I know they won't unless it impacts their bottom line. We love cruising with DCL, but I am steeling myself for more nights of mediocre steak and potatoes. (Disclaimer: I have to order from the gluten free, non-seafood options, so that colors my opinion.)

Had you sailed Concierge on the Fantasy? Was it much of an obstacle not being on the same floor as the lounge on the Magic? (On the Dream, we loved being able to grab breakfast and coffee right across the hall.) Any other big Concierge differences? Thanks so much!
Yes we were Concierge on the Fantasy last year. The biggest difference is that the lounge is on a different floor. It wasn't a huge obstacle but when I was trying to carry 2 cups of coffee, and food and dealing with kids it was a bit of a struggle. The lounge itself I liked much better on the Magic as it had a view.

We were on the magic last week - the cruise before the OP. The cruise director was Trent. Commodore Tom was also there. That is all I remember.

We were not impressed with the Magic - my whole family much preferred the fantasy. The adult only areas on the magic were lacking and there weren’t enough lounge chairs on sea days.
I actually liked the Magic better in terms of the size and how I could form relationships with others easier.

The other thing I noticed is that it seems that seat saving was a much bigger issue in the theater on this cruise.

Thanks. My favorite ship is the Magic. I prefer the Classic ships compared to the Dream class. I never had a problem with lounge chairs or space. I do agree that the adult space is not as big compared to the Dream class ships, but it does not bother me and we go to all of the adult events at night. Never had a problem finding a seat.

I don't at all judge and I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I completely understand why people would stay on board but wanted to make sure folks know there is a really good option for those with kids.

Thank you. I had a bad day. Didn't mean to take it out on you. :hugs:

We did the Junkanoo Discovery and Forts tour (something like that). It was wonderful. I hate when people always say to stay on the ship. Stay on the ship if you would like but if you are looking for something that has a culture check this one out. The couple who ran the museum are just wonderful.
This was the very first excursion we ever did on a cruise. My daughter and I had a blast. She got to be the drum leader on the big drum and was ecstatic.

We were on the Magic this past December. In 2013, we sailed on the Dream. We fell in love with the Magic! We do think the food was better on the Dream though. We were bummed because we were unable to stop in Key West due to the weather, but we still enjoyed our cruise!

Looking forward to trying out the Wonder next year!

What excursion did you did in Key West? We already have a cruise booked for 2020, but am thinking of maybe doing this cruise for 2021 Spring break. We always do 7night cruises, so not happy that this would only be 5 nights, but haven't been on the Magic in a long time.
For $70 we pre-booked a golf cart to roam the island. We had a blast. In fact my 13 y.o is requesting Key West as our next vacation. It was fun to explore the island on our own time and saw way more than I planned. We enjoyed Fort Taylor and got some amazing photos with the Magic in the background.

Ports - Key West was lovely. But the winner for the tour was Nassau. We did the Junkanoo Discovery and Forts tour (something like that). It was wonderful. I hate when people always say to stay on the ship. Stay on the ship if you would like but if you are looking for something that has a culture check this one out. The couple who ran the museum are just wonderful. My husband went on the Scuba port adventure. He was the only one. :) He said it was great.

I was in Nassau, and am sad I didnt research it more before I went there. We went to the chocolate factory, and it was neat, but I didn't know there was much much more. Junkanoo Discovery, Perl Island, and Atlantis. There's also some good SCUBA diving there as well. I wish I wouldn’t have listened to people less about "staying on the boat", and looked more.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your honest impress of the food onboard. We were not wowed by the food onboard DCL in December 2017 (we thought it ranged from fine to very good), and since then, I've heard numerous reviewers specifically point out that the food was disappointing or just okay. We will sail again later this year, and I'm disappointed that DCL hasn't begun putting more effort into the food, although I know they won't unless it impacts their bottom line. We love cruising with DCL, but I am steeling myself for more nights of mediocre steak and potatoes. (Disclaimer: I have to order from the gluten free, non-seafood options, so that colors my opinion.)
Yes, gluten-free makes a big difference in terms of food quality on DCL. Props to them for accommodating gluten-free, but they haven't yet figured out how to make it very tasty. The WDW restaurants do gluten-free a lot better than DCL.

I know the difference because my son used to be gluten-free, but now isn't, so we have experience eating both gf and regular at both WDW and on DCL.

We were on the Magic last month and agree regarding food. I was wondering if it has to do with expectations, because we thought food on Dream was fantastic and Wonder was pretty good. Interesting to know we are not alone!

Next year, we're planning on a long walk on Key West day (with lunch at a great mexican restaurant we found) and the blue lagoon dolphin excursion in Nassau. Appreciate the info regarding sea day because we were on the 4-night last month and are planning a 5-night next year. Happy we'll be on the Magic again because it's easier to let our youngest have more freedom in the pool area on the smaller ships.

If there is something you want not marked gluten-free, you can always ask if it can be made that way. Only on rare occasions have they not been able to accommodate that. It's often simply a matter of leaving off/changing a sauce or a side. They even made a gluten-free crouton for my French Onion soup on the Wonder in Feb without my asking them to. You don't HAVE to stick to the items marked gluten-free.

Thank you for your review! I was on that same cruise. I thought the food in the MDR was wonderful for the most part. I loved the Sea Bass from Rapunzel's. Rapunzel's was my favorite restaurant-fun entertainment! I was surprised that we didn't get to draw our own character in Animator's Palate? Castaway Cay was perfect and in Nassau we did the Blue Lagoon Island, VIP Adult Beach. I would do that excursion again in a heartbeat. We practically had the beach to ourselves and it was beautiful. It included lunch which was cold and tasteless though. I normally stay on the ship when in Nassau. Matt the Adult Entertainment Director was so much fun! I loved the Silent Dance Party. This was my 12th Disney cruise with the majority of them on the Wonder and Fantasy. The Wonder has my heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter