Just returned from the Magic where everyone got sick (ALSO CAN POST HERE)

I know they have to investigate the food, but my personal feeling is that if it was the food them A LOT more people would have been sick since we really only had about 5 choices for dinner each night so a lot more than 4% would have eaten the same thing. That's just my feeling.

Don't forget about condiments. What if one tub of mayonaise was contaminated at one restaurant? (this is just hypothetical - I have no evidence of this). The source could be one small item on a huge ship.

Sue Ellen we sailed on Nov 9th Although no one got sick on the cruise my dds did have stomach trouble and headaches for about 48hours after.I asked the dr and he said could be from that but not necesarily so I never thought anything of it.
After reading your and sweetspots posts I am wondering if we should contact DCL or the CDC. If it will help them figure it out, It is worth it.

Ken, I never thought of that..... I guess we all just have to wait and see what CDC says. I ahve gastro problems to begin with and happened to already have an apt with my doc this week so I'm going to tell him I was on the ship just in case, but I feel totally fine (so does DH).

I have just heard a rumor that it wasn't Disney that contacted the CDC, it was a passenger on board the Magic that made the call. I'm beyond disappointed that Disney wasn't upfront with all of us on the cruise regarding the problem and that perhaps they wouldn't have come forward at all except the passenger phone call to the CDC forced their hand:(

Believe that this was around at least during our sailing (11/09)and not a food issue........
A couple of the counselors from common grounds were quarantined during our sailing from an exposure with Chicken Pox on the previous sailing. My teens informed me that one of them became extremely ill with vomiting and diahrea and had to seek medical attention. My teens also informed me after the fact that they saw a kid vomit in the family hot tub, and just get out and leave.........(that is so gross, to think that something like that could happen and nothing would be done about it, if no one knew, until it was too late) Shercara also reported to me that her family was sick during the 11/9 cruise. My DH and I also noted that we saw Disney doing A LOT of CARPET SHAMPOOING during our cruise. Of course we were never aware that any of this was going on.
This gives me all the more reason for staying out of the pools. What better way to spread a virus! And it also gives me all the more reason to slap the idiots that you see dig into the buffet with their bare hands..........(ick) From everything I've read they say that the Norwalk virus is so prevalent because the germs are spread A LOT thru vomiting. Unfortunately there is NO NEAT way to throw up when you are really sick so it has a tendency to get all over the place and isn't easily cleaned up.
I don't think that there is a lot Disney can do. People have to be cautious but, short of testing all passengers before they get on board what can you do. It is obvious that people are exposed to a lot worse on these cruise ships. Chicken Pox and Rubella that I've seen the past few months.

smiles Patty

Okay everyone, it's time for another deep breath. :)

The fact of that matter is that people get sick on cruises ALL THE TIME, as they do ANYWHERE that you have a contained area and lots of people. Last December when I cruised there was a flu bug going around (not intestinal) and several of the spa girls and other crew members were ill. PEOPLE GET SICK, THIS TIME OF YEAR ESPECIALLY.

I think it's time to stop speculating and just hear what DCL and the CDC have to say. So far NO cause has been identified and we have not had reports of mass illness on the current sailing.

For those who were on the 11/16 cruise and were affected by illness, I do feel bad for you. I have been sick on several cruises (NOT from the ship, with infected insect bites and bronchitis I had before I boarded) and it's not fun to sail when you don't feel 100%. We will all be interested to hear what sort of compensation DCL offers, if you want to share that when you know.

For now, though, I think it's time to MOVE ON and just let things unfold without undue speculation and spreading of rumors. :)

On our first cruise, our head server got sick (as reported by the assistant server) and our dd8 was sick (not starting a conspiracy theory here). In fact she "puked" in front of Shutters - not a pretty sight. On our recent cruise I got violently ill while on Castaway Cay - so bad I literally had to hold onto things to make it back to the ship. Fact is people get sick on ships, on planes, on buses, in cars. But 175 people (according to some reports) is still a large amount on one ship - and that is not including the ones who did not "report to the ship's medical doctor". I never reported myself sick or my dd - many people do not. I think it's good to have a place for people to talk about these things including their fears, hopes, praises, disappointments. Especially ones who have cruises lined up over the next few weeks. I know I'm going to watch closely to the news and I'll want to read their posts to find out more info (some bad... some good... - I think we can all handle it just fine) :p I look forward to hearing about the CDC's conclusion to this mess and also hearing from people who were ill about their compensation. Thanks for sharing your good and your bad.

Well Said Trishy
No one is looking to start rumors or take any claims to the illness. I was just stating the fact that we were on the ship the week before and my dds did get sick after leaving the ship.I never said it was the same thing Just simply stating the facts.
However if it is the same and the virus started as early as the Halloween cruise then maybe there is more of a problem.

My DH was very sick with a bad stomach bug for a day and a half on the Wonder last January. I'm sure that he wasn't the only one aboard who came down with something, and we didn't then nor do we now attribute it to anything more than a bug. He also didn't report it to the medical office.

The point is that even though there are now reports that 25 people are currently ill onboard the Magic, most of those people may be like my husband was, and wouldn't normally have reported their illness. The only reason this is being reported in the media is because of the virus last week ... and while I understand the public's right to be informed, hopefully the situation won't get blown out of proportion (and no more people will get sick)!!

As WebMasMichelle stated.....this the season to get the flu. You have hundreds of people traveling from all kinds of climates into a warm one. Top that off with some seasickness and you have the flu. I too am surprised it doesn't happen more often. Heck my mother in law got Montezumas Revenge when we were in Mexico this summer does that mean the tour company we booked with has to give us a free trip or give us our money back? They would laugh in my face, this is just my opinion, but I feel the cruise companies are being very generous. As far as not being upfront with everyone or the press...what business/company wants bad press? Don't get me wrong, please, I really feel bad that anyone gets sick especially on a dream vacation. I know I had alot of fun (HA HA) taking care of my mother in law for the last 4 days of our vacation. But sometimes you just have to write if off as a really bad experience and move on.

Have a Healthy Disney Day!!

Michelle,
I agree with you. This is definitely the time of year for viruses. Had it not been for all of the press about the virus going around on the Magic, I wouldn't have thought twice about this. We just assumed that he picked up a virus on the ship and came home with it. I am just wondering if the virus was spreading a bit earlier than the 16th sailing (not as seriously)
Anytime you are in close quarters with a bunch of people you run the risk of catching any virus/bacteria that someone else has. I do not place the blame on Disney at all. I think Disney is being more than generous in offering compensation to the guests on the 11/16 sailing.
I hope that those of you who were affected on that cruise have a much better cruise next time!
Sue Ellen

On our trip last year, I was the one to come down with a bug. It began on Thursday and progressively got worse. I battled up and down from October to mid December. At one point my Doctor suspected I might had picked up dipthera at one of the islands. Luckily, the test came back negative. They were never able to pin point what I had, but I was 100% better by Christmas.

I, then and now, believe it's the luck of the draw. My immune was probably way down because of all the pre cruise preparations, and I wasn't taking care of myself. I know the last two days of the cruise could have been better, but I did manage to join my family for dinner...eating chicken soup and hot tea.

I trully sorry that anyones cruise was ruined by illness. I knowing missing those last two days felt like for me.

Best to all,
Hope everyone is on the mend,

thanks for the link - that's the 1st time I saw in print that the 11/30 cruisers are offered the same "out" as the 11/23 cruisers.
However, if the Magic sails so do I. Wonder if they'll do the same cleaning between sailings?

There is no way that we are canceling! First of all, I HAVE to meet Barb, Tom, Laurie and Lori! Second, I so need a vacation! 3 more sleeps before we leave!

I just listened to the news, and one of our local hospitals just reported an outbreak in the emergency department. 43 staff and patients have Norwalk virus. This is a way higher percentage than the Disney cruise, yet I am sure that the hospital isn't being blamed.

It's in a hospital now? I don't know anything about this virus (BTW, the CDC still hasn't confimred it for the ship, have they?) but it seems to me that no matter what precautions you tkae and how sanitary the conditions are, this virus is going to force its way wherever it wants to go!

We just returned last night from the infamous 11/16 cruise. We too were victims of the virus. My husband was first hit with it late Wednesday afternoon, and was really sick for 2 days. One of my daughters became sick late Friday night. The remaining 3 in our family only had minor symptoms, where we felt blah for a couple of days.

My only beef about the incident was that perhaps there should have been a little more communication about the incidents. We never received copies of the questionaires to complete, and I know there were others who did not receive them. We even sent my son back to the cabin to see if there was anything left after we departed from our cabins, but he did not find anything.

Let's just say this was not the best of vacations for us.

It seems that where ever a lot of people get together in a small area that germs do get spread. The recycled air on board an airplane is one of the worst places to be. I will bet that most of the people who cruised were on an airplane before boarding the ship. Maybe thats why I choose to drive to my vacation so that I don't get sick and ruin my Disney fun :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter