Just rode Pirates of the Caribbean!

Reports coming in yesterday said you still get a bit wet in the front of the boat, but not like before. There are supposedly "new" boats. Barbossa is now in his privateer costume and the AA's are looking good. Sound was improved. This was a soft opening so things were still being worked on, you could apparently hear the mermaids but not see them.

We JUST got home, so I will upload some pics later! (Like in 3-4 hours). Sorry for the delay! There was very minimal splashing into the boat. I was in the 5th row and didn't get more than a totally un-notable splash.

We road Pirates earlier today and it was AWESOME! No one on our boat got wet, despite a distinct list to starboard due to the way some parents were sitting with their kids (right side way heavier). From what I can tell, the beginning of the ride is updated, the boat fight scene much more intense, and a few other small changes. We loved it, and I am so happy we got a chance to ride it before we leave in the morning!

When you say intense - does that mean I shouldn't bring my toddlers on? I don't want to freak them out.

When you say intense - does that mean I shouldn't bring my toddlers on? I don't want to freak them out.

I took two four year olds on it, and they were visibly startled by the canon fire during the fight scene, which didn't happen in 2013. I don't know if I think it was more intense due to their reaction, but I also felt it to be very realistic. I wouldn't not take toddlers on it, I would just be aware that it could be startling.

Tough to be a bug was scarier to my 6yo.

I took two four year olds on it, and they were visibly startled by the canon fire during the fight scene, which didn't happen in 2013. I don't know if I think it was more intense due to their reaction, but I also felt it to be very realistic. I wouldn't not take toddlers on it, I would just be aware that it could be startling.

Tough to be a bug was scarier to my 6yo.

Thanks! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't flip out.

I rode it this afternoon! I was a few rows back (maybe 4th?) but didn't get more than maybe a droplet of water on me. Nobody really got wet in the front that I could tell. Seconding you can't see the mermaids yet, or at least I couldn't when I rode at 1 PM.

What does everyone mean about seeing mermaids?

at some point in the last few years after the release of PotC 4 they added the "mermaids" in the beginning section of the ride where all of the skeletons are before you go down the drop. there were some lights in the water, mermaids singing, and mermaid skeletons on the shore.

Pirates was down for what, like 3 months... all for pretty basic maintenance. If Disney continues this speed of construction, we'll see Star Wars Land in as little as 3 or 4 decades!

Pirates was down for what, like 3 months... all for pretty basic maintenance. If Disney continues this speed of construction, we'll see Star Wars Land in as little as 3 or 4 decades!
It was never supposed to be a major refurb or re-do. It was extended routine maintenance and clean up.

Wait - the people in front of you waited 3.5 hours???? For Pirates??? Sorry but that seems crazy to me.

We were at Mk on Thursday 9/24 in the evening and people ere being let on. There was a pretty long line but as others mentioned it was sporadic. They would do a few boats and then stop for an hour or so then do a few more. Some people seemed to be camped out waiting. We had our toddler with us so we couldn't wait around but I'm excited to hear how others liked it!

Is it still Blackbeard appearing in the fog as the ride gets started? Me and my sisters miss seeing Davy Jones there so much!

They just opened Pirates for the day about 10 minutes ago and the line in filled up to the entrance after about 5 minutes so they roped off the entrance again. I was one of the last they let in. I haven't ridden it without FP or when it wasn't dead at MK so I have no idea how long I'll be waiting. Fingers crossed not 2 1/2 hours!

Edit: it took about 20 mins in total as they opened the 2nd line while I was waiting. Didn't notice that many differences but some of the AA figures have undergone a change so it's a little more multicultural than previously. Davy Jones was back in the mist I assume ahead of the next Pirates movies which I don't think features Blackbeard

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter