Just wondering...if you are running, do you go to parks before or after the marathon?

Alice777

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering for those who does the marathons, do you go to parks after you have finished the race or before the race?

I'm not talking about "day of the race" but book rooms to go to parks before or after race?

I had days before and after. I really enjoy having a few days after to wear my medals around the parks and not worry about getting tired for an upcoming race. But, I also have the days before so in case there are flight delays I'm not cutting it close. We stay for a week with the race(s) in the middle for the most part.

I was just wondering for those who does the marathons, do you go to parks after you have finished the race or before the race?

I'm not talking about "day of the race" but book rooms to go to parks before or after race?

We've done both and it has worked out well whichever way we've done it, but I preferred doing the parks after the races. Whether you are wearing your medals or a race shirt you get a pretty warm reception from everyone. Also, no matter how seasoned/confident I am 26.2 miles is a long way and can weigh on my mind beforehand.

I like to have the race toward the beginning of the trip (I generally come in the day before the race to be on the safe side for delays, etc.) so that I can enjoy myself afterward without worrying about food, drinks, tired legs etc.

My preference is to arrive the Friday before the Marathon and then enjoy the parks after the event. For me, its less fatigue on my body (walking through the parks), fewer meals at Disney (which generally means me eating a lot) and finally I seem to enjoy the trip more knowing I have the event behind me. Plus, in looking at the crowd levels, there is a drop off the week after the marathon.

We also do days before and after but like @RunDisneyDad we usually try to have the races toward the beginning of the trip. We usually arrive on Thursday before the weekend and stay through Tuesday or Wednesday after. We also usually do go back into the parks on the day of the races. Nothing like walking around the parks after a race to start to work out any soreness.

Ran Goofy in 2015. We went to MK after the half and took it easy. It helped keep my legs loose for the marathon on Sunday. As soon as I finished the marathon and cleaned up I was off to EPCOT. Nothing like celebrating finishing the marathon having a few drinks throughout the World Showcase.

We arrive on Sunday and leave on the following Monday after the marathon. As soon as I get finished with a race (5K, 10K, Half, or Full) we head out for a full day at one of the parks. This schedule of arriving and leaving works best for our families work schedule.

We arrive on Sunday and leave on the following Monday after the marathon. As soon as I get finished with a race (5K, 10K, Half, or Full) we head out for a full day at one of the parks. This schedule of arriving and leaving works best for our families work schedule.

This is how our work schedules normally work out. Easier to take off a M-F work week than going W-Tu (or something similar) for our group.

For me, we will arrive Wednesday for Dopey. Light park day after the half (with a hearty lunch), then back to the resort for an early evening and getting everything ready. After the marathon we will have no agenda other than showering and some sleep, then likely up and about for a walk and loosening up. Home on Tuesday. When I get trained up enough to do a half or a full marathon I'm not worried about the effects of a park day in the days leading up to the race.

We do the parks daily while we are there. Shorter visits the day before the full, but definitely some time in the parks every day.

I do the same with some time in the parks. Maybe for the parades, castle show or fireworks. No rushing around. I like to enjoy the details as they say.

One of these events that the MK has late EMH's before a morning run, I just might close the park and head straight to the corrals from there.

When I did the dopey, I took those four days lightly.. Lots of pool time. I did do some short park times after the 5 and 10k.. pretty much pool or chilling after 1/2 and long soak and nap after the full.. Then night of the full was out, and Monday - Friday all day at parks..

Funny side story.. Monday, the day after I finished my first marathon / and the first dopey, we were walking around MK.. I was sore, no doubt... But one of my group (that did no races and didnt do much park going til this point) said something about their feet hurting.. The look I gave them had to be one for the books haha..

This coming marathon weekend will be my first runDisney weekend, but I have every intention of spending time in the parks each day even with doing Dopey. It will be my son's first trip, even though he'll only be 6-7 months old, and we plan on having as much fun as possible with him while we're there. We'll probably do more character meet and greets before, and I'll definitely be riding ride I haven't in years, but we have no intention on wasting the opportunity relaxing. We'll also be there with a lot of other family members, so it will be fun all around.

Do you guys go to the parks the day of the race? I'll have a limited number of park days (like 1 or 2 at the most) on my trip next year.

Do you guys go to the parks the day of the race? I'll have a limited number of park days (like 1 or 2 at the most) on my trip next year.

I have every intention on going to parks all four days I will be running at Dopey and I know my brother did when he ran it back in 2014.

A year ago when I finished the full which was part of Goofy I took an hour nap and then was all park time. The same for the Princess weekend.

Yes, we shower/eat back at the room after the race then head right out (except this year's marathon I was too sick/weak to leave the room which totally sucked not doing a park after the marathon). Of course after the marathon you get a lot less park time depending on how quick you finish/clean up, so if you want to maximize park time and want full park opening days maybe not doing race day would be better for you with such limited park days.

Yes, we shower/eat back at the room after the race then head right out (except this year's marathon I was too sick/weak to leave the room which totally sucked not doing a park after the marathon). Of course after the marathon you get a lot less park time depending on how quick you finish/clean up, so if you want to maximize park time and want full park opening days maybe not doing race day would be better for you with such limited park days.

I'm just doing the 10k. The issue is more that the trip itself has to be short, so race day is one of two chances for a full park day haha. Perhaps I'll plan it as a slightly more chill day and then make my MK day open-close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter