• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Keeping Disney Trip a Surprise!!

We just returned from a surprise trip for our 3 DD's. Now that I've done it here are my thoughts:

--The surprise was great - they were extremely excited.

--The trip planning was not as much fun for me without the excitement of the kids. We sings songs about it & have a daily countdown usually.

--Until about the 2nd or 3rd full day they said they didn't really feel like they were in Disney because they hadn't geared themselves up for it.

IMHO it was great to do but I would probably tell them much sooner next time. 1/2 the fun is the preparation, planning & running around the house singing our special songs.

We have done a Xmas surprise & then gone a few months later, which was much better.

This is my first time posting so please forgive me if I make a mistake.
We did surprise our 2 DDs last February (we do go to WDW twice a year) we told them that we were going to Atlanta for their dad to attend a conference. We drove from Upstate NY and they never suspected anything, we drove through the WDW gates, they did not seem them, finally when we drove by the swan and Dolphin my oldest one who was nearly 7 at the time, started screaming it is the fish hotel, and kept asking are we in Disney, the little one was screaming yeah we are at Disney world....
It really was great, so great in fact that we are doing it again this coming February.... Just a different scenario

We surprised our kids last Christmas.

I bought WDW '01 tshirts on ebay. I made copies of our flight itinerary and put it in the shirt. I wrapped them and we told them there was one gift we wanted them to open early. Of course we filmed it.

They were screaming! DS9 thougth we were going in October-because at the bottom of the page, it had an October date-when I printed it. He was excited about October, so you can imagine how surprised it was when he found out it was in 2 days!!

We told them a couple of days early, because they like to pack there own stuff.

The looks were priceless. They weren't that surprised that we were going, but they were surprised that I was able to keep it a secret!:D

In 1999 we woke our oldest daughter up on her 7th birthday and said time to get up you're going to Disney World. She and her 3yo sister were in shock. It didn't sink in until we were on the plane and taking off. She asked to be surprised like that again. This year is the youngest's 7th birthday and we'll surprise her also. This time our flight is late in the afternoon so we are planning on springing the surprise this way: We live north of Boston, my brother lives south of Boston. The fastest way to his house is through the Ted Williams Tunnel. You have to drive through Logan Airport to get to the tunnel. As we drive through the airport my husband will say " Boy there is a lot of traffic here". I'll reply "Yeah that's because its school vacation week and everyone else is going to Disney World. I wish we could go". My husband will say "Whatever you want dear" and pull into the parking lot for the terminal. Out come the suitcases and off we go.

I have enjoyed everyone's stories so much!

Our "surprise" came off well. We were able to get DS up, dressed, to the airport, on the plane, and to our 1st connection before he knew our destination!! DH & I finally caved. DS was getting so pittiful and literally begging us to tell him -- it was bordering on child abuse.

He was excited and we had a good time -- got to do just about everything we wanted at least once. He was tall enough this trip, so he got to ride more things (however, we weren't prepared for his sudden regression to being afraid of dark, loud, and scarey things all over).

We've been back a week. I asked him this afternoon how he thought the "surprise" was? He was very honest. He loved the surprise of getting to go to WDW, but wished we'd told him, "like, when y'all woke me up that morning instead of not telling me until we were almost there."

I told him that DH & I got a smile out of it. We were actually able to pack and do all that prepartory stuff without his knowing. Amazing!! I even got the ferret to the vet to board him and DS didn't notice that "the little weasel" wasn't in his cage the night before we left. ;)

Last year, for my 9 y/o birthday, I surprised him with a trip to WDW. I even had him help plan it - I asked him to talk with one of my coworkers that was going for the first time with his kids. I asked my child to talk about his favorite restaurants, rides, and places to be. The night before we left, I suprised him with his "gift", by telling him he had to get up at 3:30 am. He really couldn't sleep after I told him, so getting up was no problem.

Good luck keeping your secret and I hope you enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter