Kermit the Frog Puppeteer says he was fired by Disney over the phone

ConeyLighthouse

Brooklyn Boy
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/kermit-frog-puppeteer-fired-disney-article-1.3324605

It's not easy being green — but it's even less easy being fired.

Voice actor and puppeteer Steve Whitmire, who has provided the pipes for Kermit the Frog for the last 27 years, revealed Thursday that he was unceremoniously fired over the phone by Disney.

Whitmire — who has been part of the Muppets universe since 1978 — is set to be replaced by Matt Vogel, and though news broke Wednesday, Whitmire says the move has been set since October.

"As I am sure you can imagine, I have experienced every possible emotion since October 2016, when I received a phone call from the Muppets Studio's executives to say they were recasting," he wrote in a blog post on his website.

Whitmire explained that the executives brought up two previously unknown "issues" during their conversation, though he did not identify what the problems were.

He also claimed that he had attempted to remedy the situation, and offered solutions for the issues at hand multiple times over the past few months to no avail.

Jim Henson, the creator of The Muppets, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock and he would have been 77 today (Sept. 24), yet Henson's legacy continues to delight children around the world.

"I wish that we could have sat down, looked each other in the eye, and discussed what was on their minds before they took such a drastic action," he wrote. "I have remained silent the last nine months in hopes that the Disney company might reverse their course."

With Whitmire officially ousted, he expressed his devastation at losing the gig that he calls not just a job or career, but "a calling, an urgent, undeniable, impossible to resist way of life."

"I would never consider abandoning Kermit or any of the others because to do so would be to forsake the assignment entrusted to me by Jim Henson, my friend and mentor, but even more, my hero," Whitmire wrote. "I just want you all to know that I am sorry if I have disappointed any of you at any point throughout our journey, and to let everyone know that I am devastated to have failed in my duty to my hero."

The Muppets Studio declined comment on Whitmire's post, but did thank the actor for being an important component of the Muppet family.

"The Muppets Studio thanks Steve for his tremendous contributions to Kermit the Frog and The Muppets franchise," a spokesperson told the Daily News in a statement. "We wish him well in his future endeavors."

Vogel, Whitmire's successor, has previously voiced Big Bird, Robin the Frog and the Count, but appeared as Kermit doppelganger/career criminal Constantine the 2014 movie "Muppets Most Wanted."

I wonder why? I hate to hear about someone so experienced losing their job.

I wonder if they blame him for the failure of The Muppets reboot show and/or movie...

Well it should not have come as a surprise to him. Didn't he say he knew they told him there were issues. His apparent attempt to appease them and resolve those issues didn't not satisfy disney.
He was fired. sounds like he's hurt and frustrated but it didn't come out of the blue.
There are no guarantees in life... he had a great ride and hope his future is a bright one.
To me a non story...

No - they told him of the "issues" on the firing call. He's been trying to resolve them ever since.

From past experience, it sounds like they wanted him gone and gave him a couple of "unknown issues" as the reason.

IMHO, very sorry way to do things. I've worked for companies like that in the past, and didn't like it. Good companies point out problems to employees as soon as possible and allow them time to make corrections.

Last edited:

So heart-breaking and sad. You don't just PHONECALL someone who worked so integrally with Jim Henson, and given of himself for almost THREE DECADES, to terminate them!

UGH I have a really terrible taste in my mouth over all this... :( Good thing my DD has outgrown Sesame Street...

So heart-breaking and sad. You don't just PHONECALL someone who worked so integrally with Jim Henson, and given of himself for almost THREE DECADES, to terminate them!

Sadly, companies don't care. They demand loyalty from employees, but don't give it to the employees in return.

I was once let go from a company that I had helped build up by bringing them tens of thousands of dollars in new business. They didn't even bat an eye when they laid me and four others off at the same time.

Who was it that fired him? Was it Statler & Waldorf? Those old bas.. guys have been heckling the Muppets for years, especially Fozzie.

Unlikely, he was Statler of recent years apparently!

As well as Rizzo the rat, Beaker and Ernie from sesame street.

They had this story on local news the other night. One of the news anchors actually asked a co-anchor "Why is he Kermit T Frog?":sad2: The other anchor looked kind of embarrassed to answer the question.

I wouldn't mind knowing what "their two stated issues" with him were. That could help understand this better...

Except that there is probably really only one issue: money. They probably think it's cheaper to get rid of him.

I'm not surprised about the issues regarding the TV show cause that reboot was absolutely terrible! All the characters were made to be boring or completely unlikeable. They really should have listened to Steve on that one. Sigh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter