Keto-ish Dinning Reviews March 2022

hilkaryic

Earning My Ears
This March i did Disney like I've never done it before-- low carb and low sugar. I've lost 40 lbs following a clean keto lifestyle and attempted to adhere to it as much as possible. I hope my review will inspire others to stay strong while vacationing.

Satuli Canteen
Chicken salad bowl no boba, charred scallion dressing.

AK1 satuli Small.jpeg

Great start to the trip. Loved the charred flavor on the chicken and the tangy dressing. Unfortunate that there's hidden quinoa that you can't ask to be removed in mobile ordering and some sweet potato ended up in my salad. If you have life-threating allergies I would not put my full faith in this QS's ability to accommodate. I can't believe it was my first time eating here! 9/10

Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge
Cobb Salad with Shrimp and Bloody Mary with Hangar 1 vodka

HBD cobb shrimp.jpeg

Not just another salad, another DELICIOUS salad. I got on the waitlist for the lounge. I waited longer at the hostess station to be seated than I did for my name to be called (not long at either!). I could not resist getting the Bloody Mary, even though it has a high sugar content. NO REGRETS. My favorite Disney Bloody is the CYO Bloody Mary Bar at the Phins bar at the Dolphin, my second favorite is the spicy Bloody Mary at Grand Floridian Cafe, but this one was pretty good but not as spicy as I like mine. (for those that care, least favorite: Topolino's) And the salad, what more can be said about this salad. Did I need to add the shrimp? no. Was it great? Oh yeah. I have a thing when I'm in Florida that I like to eat shrimp at least once a day. I will say that its not worth the $$. 10/10

Flying Fish
Mesclun Greens Salad
Seafood Pearl Pasta-- minus the pasta

FF salad w goat cheese.jpegFFseafood.jpeg

Before ordering I spoke to my server about my dietary needs. I had hoped the chef would come and talk to me, but its dinner rush so I understand. After ordering my server assured me that what I ordered would accommodate my needs. Not pictured was the sparkling water from a soda stream-- HUGE PLUS. Salad was good, but mostly because of the goat cheese. For my entree I ordered the Seafood Pearl Pasta minus the pasta. Chef added all the vegetable sides from other entrees. I appreciated the cauliflower and asparagus, but corn isn't keto friendly. Lobster was tough but scallops and clams were A+. 8/10

Flower and Garden booths
Magnolia Terrace Grilled Oysters
Tangerine Cafe Lamb Kebobs
Trowel & Trellis Grilled Vegs and Impossible Short Ribs

Magnoliaoysters.jpegtangerinecafekabob.jpegTTplantbased.jpeg

Flower & Garden is my favorite festival, and its not just because Epcot never looks better. The food is way underrated and I love the plant based options. First up: Grilled Oysters. I love oysters so I love grilled oysters. Not the best oysters I've ever had but great smoky flavor. Grilled oysters for someone who is unsure if they'll like oysters. 8/10 Next up, lamb kabob and chickpea salad from tangerine cafe. YUM. great lamb flavor. the salad was sooo good. Not keto friendly as it contained raisins but I didn't care. I almost went back for another but the line was really long and i wanted to try more treats 10/10. Last up: Grilled baby vegetables with humus and Korean Impossible Short Ribs. Both were past favorites and my memory was better than this year's offerings. Veg was ok but last year had more char. The short rib was my hands down favorite thing last year but i found this year's a little dry. Could have also been that I was aware that I was eating sugary sauces. Pickles were still scrumptious and what gives the whole dish its punch of flavor. 7/10 Also pictured Matcha Cranberry & Lime Green Tea. I love this drink and had four (maybe five?) during my trip. I also bought tea bags to make my own but so far I haven't been able to replicate the greatness (makes me think they add cranberry juice).

Steakhouse 71
baby Iceberg Wedge Salad
Chicken Chasseur

SH71 Wedge.jpegSH71 chicken.jpeg

I'm not sure there's been a restaurant more hyped than Steakhouse 71. I was really worried it wasn't going to live up to the hype. I find that Disney resort restaurants sometimes lack atmosphere and feel chaotic (I'm looking at you Kona and Boma...). I usually go with Signature locations because I know the entire experience will be an escape from the parks. I arrived at Steakhouse 71 about 45 minutes early hoping to get in early, I wasn't the only one who had this idea but I was happy to wait in the newly refurbished lobby. Sitting there I realized that the Contemporary is my vibe. About 5 minutes before my actual reservation time I was called to sit down. The restaurant itself felt upscale and buzzy. Like a popular spot in any city. They sat my next to the kitchen. Some people hate this but I love watching all the food go by. I didn't feel the need to speak to my server about my diet because I had studied the menu and knew there were many options I could get with alterations. And when I say I studied, i mean I STUDIED a countless number of youtube reviews. Its been about twenty years since I had a wedge salad and I will not wait that long again. SO GOOD. I thought it was funny that she brought extra dressing on the side without me even asking because i could have slurped that up with a spoon like it was ice cream. I don't even like blue cheese that much! 10/10 There are a few reasons I went with the chicken. #1 I love mushrooms #2 just before I left on vacation I had a really incredible NY Strip at Le Diplomat in DC. I have dreams about that steak. I knew that any steak I got would be compared to that steak and I couldn't do that to myself. I'd be setting myself up for disappointment. So I got the chicken. The mushroom and the sauce were 11/10. mmmmmmm so good. Really rich, salty (in a good way), and mushroom-y. And some of them were crispy giving the entire dish great texture. The chicken... was dry. It just wasn't the best. Even when I drenched it in delicious sauce. 7/10 Wish it weren't the case because I really loved the experience as a whole. On another note, the couple next to me got the prime rib and something was wrong. I couldn't hear everything that was going on but I think it was a problem with the fat content of the exact cut. there was a parade of servers and managers who came by to talk to the couple. I was impressed with the attention that was being paid. whole experience 9/10 lived up to the hype and it renewed my faith in Disney dinning.

Sunshine Seasons
Caesar Salad with Chicken
SS salad.jpeg

It was early at EPCOT, most of the booths weren't open, and that leaves VERY FEW low carb and low sugar options. So Sunshine Seasons is where I ended up. Very soggy lettuce, very dry chicken, but I was proud of myself for not caving and getting a giant donut. 5/10

Congratulations on your weight loss! Thanks for the reviews --
I always feel like I've gained ten pounds after a Disney trip.

Thank you. I've been keto for a year and a half and haven't really done cheat days in over a year. I'm going to do my best but there is definitely very few options there. Last year we went to the beach and I took my mini dash to make chaffles...which helped with sandwiches and burgers...but I ate a lot of salads with grilled fish. I'm finding it extremely difficult to find much on Disney's quick service menus (I've read through all of them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter