Kids at Heart, Gluttons for Punishment, or just plain Idiots? We report. You decide.

AlexandNessa

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=green
Well kids, it may take me a while to pull off this trip report. We just got back from 8 days at Universal late last night. Let's just say this one started with a wild bang and ended with quite the muted whimper. Not a Wild Hogs ending. More like a Grumpy Old Men ending.

Hang on tight for the short, wild ride. It includes nearly peeing my pants at the RIP tour, sweet love notes, learning Farsi, drug busts, turtle humping, elephant butts, drinking for charity, learning gangsta, and fainting in front of NBA City, complete with a full commotion of Security, Health Services, and the entire staff of NBA City ... hence the whimpering end of our trip.

I am still recovering and have not done much yet besides trying to get back to normal. I have not uploaded pics yet either. Just wanted to let you know that we're back and hope to have more to report tomorrow.

Oh, and I can never figure out if I'm being boring by saying who we are again and again after so many trip reports or being presumptuous in not saying who we are because who really reads all the trip reports? Hence the title of my trip report.

So, I'll just give the plain facts for now, and hopefully have more tomorrow, God willing.

Who: Mike and Jodie. 30-something DINKs with a bad vacation habit.
What: Universal, Busch Gardens, EPCOT and MGM, and plenty of time inside the room at the HRH.
When: October 6 - 14, 2007
Where: HRH
Why: Why not?!

Stay Tuned!

Its totally unfair that you get to go back so often! :mad:

But i really hope you are ok now????? Sounds very dramatic~

:hippie:

I've beeen waiting for you to post, Jodie, so I can say this..."What a pleasure to meet you!"

And I want to hear the rest...

Eight days is sweet. You write a good report!:thumbsup2
One question:
Bob asked last night about HOS and I told him that ya'll might have done both this year? If so, how was it? I've got an idea where the turtle humping and elephant butts came in. Too many free beers?:drinking1

Hi Everyone!

lindalinda, you're going to hate me even more when I tell you our next trip is only 42 days away ... but we have an excuse for that. :rolleyes:

Notatourist, pleasure meeting you too! Sunday night was by far our best night! :goodvibes

Barb, I know you do! And I also don't know how you keep up with all of them! :goodvibes

MF, you just reminded me to send back your name tag, and I'm such a jerk I went to the post office yesterday and forgot! I will put in the mail back to you today or tomorrow. Promise! I don't think it did us much good though ... but I'll tell you all about that later. But, we did not do HOS. We were there Wednesday, Oct. 10, which wasn't an HOS night. Do they have RIP tours for HOS?!

Hi Tonia! I hope you have a great trip! I saw that you posted on my other TR, and I'm excited for you! Some day we'll get to go at the same time. Looks like we'll just miss you again as we head back Nov. 28. Have your secretary call my secretary so we can coordinate our next trip. ;)

I finally uploaded all our pics, so now I can start writing. Hope to have something out late tonight or tomorrow. Sorry for the wait; I was hoping to be more on the ball.

xx

Don't worry about the name tag. Just try to recover. HOS does have RIP tours and will do an exclusive tour for just 2 people. The tour guides are usually just staff members that just do it in addition to their regular job. Not dedicated fulltime tour guides with the overwhelming product knowledge like USO but the neat thing is you basically tell them what you want to do after each house or ride and they hang with you until they close.
Rest up!

Jodie--did NBA City still have 2fer beers during HH? And, if so, do you know if they have to pour them both at once, or can I do the 2fer while my DH has a scotch. Okay, final question--what is on tap and do all of the draft beers qualify for the 2fer?

Can you tell we are getting ready for an adult only trip? :drinking1

Day 1: Saturday, October 6, 2007

Well, today’s the day! Why is travel day so stressful, eh? Do we have everything? Can we carry everything we’ve brought with us on the plane or is it subject to TSA confiscation or possibly putting us on a terror watch list? Did we leave our sitter enough cat food and litter? Remember to tell the sitter that Vanessa needs to be fed in the dining room and Alex needs to be fed in the kitchen or else all ying and yang has been compromised? Do I have all our confirmations? Have I remembered our tickets? Notice how I say “I” have the confirmations and “I” have the tickets? That’s because Mike just packs his entire closet and bathroom, and I do the rest. Equal distribution of work, no? Speaking of packing his entire bathroom and closet, I had to remind the man that we were well over the luggage weight limit, and he’d have to bring a second bag. His solution to this, of course, was to say “So what? We’ll just pay the fine.” Right. No big deal. I reminded him that we’d have help every step of the way with our luggage, so what exactly was the big deal about checking a third bag between the two of us? When I say the man packs his entire bathroom, I am not kidding. We’re talking full size bottles of mouthwash. Bottles. Not bottle. Why does he not get this during our grocery stop? I digress …

We drive to work, and then have the car service pick us up at work. Work offers secure, covered parking, and cuts down significantly on the cost of the car service. Please indulge me as I vent on our flipping security staff at work for a moment: Last time we had car service pick us up at work, I called into security to let them know the name of the car service and when they would be there to pick us up and please grant the car service access into our campus. Well, didn’t I get the jerk who yelled at me for not filling out a form online on our intranet to let them know we had a “visitor” coming and that I shouldn’t be calling him. Fine. Got it. Next time I’ll fill out the stupid online form on our Intranet. You know where I’m going with this right? Like a dutiful employee, before this trip, I find the stupid form online, fill it out, and print the damn confirmation that I’ve done so. This should allow the car service access to our campus, right? Wrong. We see our car service sitting lonely in the outskirts of the visitors section of campus. The driver had not made it past the security gate. So, I call into get my voice mail messages at work, and isn’t security yelling at me for NOT calling to say I had a visitor coming! Jerks.

After having the drive of our lives … I mean, this driver was c-r-a-z-y. :drive: I never wear my seatbelt in the backseat, but hurriedly put it on after I thought for sure we were going to flip. Nonetheless, we made it to the airport safely, and had an uneventful flight.

Will you indulge me in one more tangent? The airlines and TSA have rules for a reason, and those rules apply to everyone. When they tell you to take your shoes and jackets off, that means everyone. Not everyone except you. When the gate agent says that all passengers with strollers need to pre-board, that means everyone with strollers. Not everyone but you. I could go on (and on), but what is it with people these days? :rolleyes1

We had Sunray Transportation pick us up, and they were on time and waiting for us as usual. Now, we love Sunray, but we haven’t quite figured out why Roger thinks we love Stevie Ray Vaughn so much that he turns it up and strums along to it the entire way. Are we supposed to join in and play air guitar too? Did we miss our queue? We had our grocery stop for beers, waters, sodas, chips, cheese in a can (Mike, not me!), crackers, fruit (me, not Mike) and popcorn. Notice I did not say we picked up 2 economy size bottles of mouthwash or full cans of shaving cream, etc. Don’t worry. They were safely stored away in our checked luggage. (BTW, Barb, I asked Roger where you could get warm beer on your grocery stop for your cruise, and he said the grocery stores sell both cold and warm beer and didn’t think you’d have a problem.)

We arrived at the hotel with little incident, and the bell man was there to greet us and take our luggage. We headed straight to the front desk, with no line to have the very pleasant Kellen check us in. (Now, I did find out later that Kellen failed to give us a message from macraven, but he was still pleasant and thanked us for coming back.) Mike went out for a smoke and I told him I’d meet him up in the room. I gave him his room key, and the first thing we both noticed and gasped at? WHERE THE FRICK WAS OUR “1”?????? :snooty:

Some of you have heard me talk of this before. Those of you who haven’t, here is the skinny: On your room key, next to your name, is an “A” for “Adult” (or “C” for “Child”). If you have an “*” this means you have charging privileges. If you don’t, you’ll have an “N” for “no charging.” However, if you have a “1” between the A or C and the * or N, that means you’re a VIP. If you’re not, there is simply a space there. Which is what we had. That’s right. Instead of an “A1*” on our room keys, it was simply “A *”. Are you kidding me? Mike and I wondered what was up with that. We are Platinum. We paid a qualifying rate. This was our 2nd visit of 3 to the HRH this year. I can’t tell you the last time we weren’t VIPs. That was a big blow to us, and Mike made me promise I wouldn’t harp on it and mention it every 10 minutes, although he freely admitted that it totally bothered him too. I should’ve known when we weren’t offered the Express Yourself Check-in, exclusively for Platinum members. We were last time, but this time we were overlooked. And that showed in other areas as well.

We also learned that all King Suites are not created equally. You can see pictures of our last King Suite on our May trip report (Eat, drink, & be merry). I will tell you that the setup of that King Suite was infinitely better than this one we were shown to.

Here are the basic differences:

Last trip, the suite was close to the elevator.
This trip, the suite was all the way down the end of the first hallway.

Last trip, the suite had 2 closets, one of which was a walk-in.
This trip, the suite had 1 small closet.

Last trip, the suite had a regular bathroom with a tub. A large sink was outside the bathroom. The bathroom had another smaller sink, a toilet, and a tub.

This trip, the suite had one bathroom that connected the dining room and living area. No separate sink. No tub, only a shower which was directly across from the mirror, and not recommended for those with body image issues.

Last trip, the suite had a large living room with no dining room.
This trip, the suite had a large dining room, which we found went to waste.

Last trip, the suite was set up so that if someone wanted to watch TV in the living room, it wouldn’t disturb the person in the bedroom.

This trip, you could see both TVs easily from the bed, so no deal there.

Now, in all fairness, there was one positive of this suite:

Last trip, the suite had a view of the front entrance of the hotel.
This trip, the suite had a beautiful view of the pool and parks.

Here are the pictures that I took, so you get the idea of what this suite was set up like.

And, for the record, yes, Mike did yell at me for not doing this before unpacking. So, disregard the clothes and coolers and suitcases.

Looking at the door:

47b7ce37b3127ccebda36972503400000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

From the front door, looking into the room:
47b7ce37b3127ccebda36931d14700000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

Closer into the room:
47b7ce37b3127ccebda3692e506800000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

The TV in the living room:
47b7ce37b3127ccebda362f1102a00000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

From the bed looking into the dining room:

47b7ce37b3127ccebda3620710dc00000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

The TV in the dining room (and that is one door into the bathroom):

47b7ce37b3127ccebda366d8913100000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

This is opening the door from the dining room into the bathroom. If the bathroom seems a bit squished, it is. The toilet is behind the open door. The shower is directly across from the sink. And the other door opens into the living room:

47b7ce37b3127ccebda37a98917f00000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

Here is the toilet behind the open door (no, it’s not a separate room):

47b7ce37b3127ccebda37cde100a00000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

Mike asked why I took this pic. It was to show that the shower was DIRECTLY across from the mirror. I kept my eyes shut while showering:

47b7ce37b3127ccebda37f52d12f00000035118Abt2jRk4bt1

The high point was the view from the room:

47b7ce37b3127ccebda3623691dd00000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

Now, in all fairness, we requested a room on a high floor with a pool view, and they did honor our request, so they do read those requests! :goodvibes We did get exactly what we asked for, so, of course, we didn’t complain or ask to be moved or create a stink or anything. We just know what to ask for next time, but more on that later.

Also, no sooner did we get our luggage did we get a special treat from dsmom! Mike said, “We have online friends?” Um, yeah! Check out how cute it was! It was yummy too and we picked on it all week! The thing that looks like brains is a rice krispi treat (my favorite dessert!). :cloud9:

47b7ce37b3127ccebda36da9d1dd00000026108Abt2jRk4bt1

After we settled in, I called mac to let her know we arrived, but it was already 4:30 or so and I knew she’d be doing Stay & Scream. We decided it was too late to go to the parks, so we settled into the Beach Club for our now traditional welcome drink. We love Mikey at the Beach Club. He is usually very friendly with us and takes good care of us. We had a drink with Mikey and left to go to Margaritaville, but it was packed and we didn’t feel like dealing.

So, we left there to go to our old stand-by: NBA City. I love NBA City, especially for Happy Hour. Personally, ever since the parks only started offering $1 off Bud/Bud Lite pints, we stopped doing Happy Hour in the parks and would leave to go to NBA City where Happy Hour is 4-7 every blessed day, and they offer 2-for-1 drafts of Miller Lite, Coors Lite, and Yuengling. Bonus! We went upstairs to the Sky Lounge Bar, and I’m sad to say that 2 of the bartenders recognized us straight away. We had not been there since May, and yet, we got “Hey! We know you.” Should we be embarrassed by this at all? If you see Axe or Duane, take good care of them! Yes, I prefer to think they remember us because we’re solid tippers and not vacation alcoholics….

We left NBA City for dinner at the Hard Rock Café where we shared a Burger. But, we weren’t feeling the love there, and decided to call it an early night and were back by about 10 or 11.

We came back to the room to find we had not received turn-down service. Huh? And, where are our bathrobes? WHERE WAS THAT FLIPPING “1”???? :sad1:

Tomorrow was a MUCH better day! Stay tuned!

Jodie--did NBA City still have 2fer beers during HH? And, if so, do you know if they have to pour them both at once, or can I do the 2fer while my DH has a scotch. Okay, final question--what is on tap and do all of the draft beers qualify for the 2fer?

Can you tell we are getting ready for an adult only trip? :drinking1

I just realized I didn't answer your question fully in Day 1. Here's the deal: NBA City has happy hour every single night 4-7. They have 2fers on Miller Lite, Coors Lite, and Yuengling only. They have other drafts, but those are the only ones that apply. They are 2 for $4, and yes, you can get them one at a time. Technically, if you're nice to your bartender, I don't even think they would make you get 2, if you didn't want to. They also have well drink specials, but I don't know the deal on them. On some days, they also have 2fers on Margaritas. However, you must get them on the rocks (not up or frozen). I've never had them there. Here's another tip: don't get your drinks in a plastic cup to go. Their plastic cups are small. So, order at the bar, sit and enjoy your beer. Then, ask for a plastic cup to go if you want. Their beers at the bar are a good 16 oz (I'm guessing). Their plastic cups may only be 10 oz? You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Look for Axe ... he's the BEST!! Axe is tall and thin and looks like Steve Nash. He's been there a long time and knows us. You'll know Duane because he's got a funky mohawk look going because he's trying to hide losing his hair. Both of them are very good, and very sweet. Now, Deana is very sweet as well: you'll know her because she's got a thick NY accent. She is just not as attentive as Axe or Duane. Have fun on your adults only trip!

Last stay at PBH they gave me a hospitality suite but no "1". I asked about it at check in and the clerk looked at me like a deer in the headlights obviously no clue. I didn't pay a qualifying rate though. If anyone's a "1" it's you! :cheer2:

Jodie, Your trip reports are the best!! I love the pictures- it makes me want to stay at HRH. I know what you mean about the dining room- it seems to me like so much wasted space- does anyone ever use them?

You need to try the portofino suite at PB next time! It has a huge parlor and bedroom with two huge full bathrooms and no dining room- you will love it!

I checked all my old room keys and they all have the A1* on them. I really wonder how you do get them. Our last trip was our first trip as platnium so I wonder how we got them before??

I'm glad you liked the treat!!

I am patiently waiting for more:yay: Maybe you can keep this report going until your next one comes along?:goodvibes

Thanks, Jodie, for the report and answering my questions. After reading this report and the one from your May trip, I had to go up and find my old key cards. Sometimes we have a 1 and sometimes we don't. :confused: You can bet I will be checking next week.

Oh, and by the way. My son's school is now closed for the Monday of our trip. So, if he comes along he will only miss Tuesday. So, we may not have our romantic get-away after all! Much to my surprise he wants to come along. Airfare is not too outrageous and we can have 3 in the suite at HRH. I checked for PBH since I said the next time we go back all 3 of us we would do PBH so we get the extra bathroom in the suite. However, there are no suites available for our dates. There are not even any garden rooms.

Thanks for the pictures of the suites, I have never seen this type before, we usually have the room setup that you had on your May trip. The view looks cool, but I think I would rather have the rooms close to the elavators, I HATE a small, cramped bathroom space.

Can't wait to read the rest of your report!

Dup post ... is it just me or is the DIS a little whacky this morning?

I have lots of people looking for those "1"s now, don't I?! :cool1:

Yes, we were definitely disappointed in that suite's set up. We did get a post-stay survey, and I explained that the other set up was preferable, since we found this bathroom cramped and the dining room space wasted on us. We did thank them for granting our request though (high floor/pool view), and explained that now we just knew what to request for our next visit.

I received an email back from the HRH General Manager himself, who told us he personally insured that we would get our "old room" back for our November trip. :goodvibes I also mentioned in the survey that we just didn't feel platinum this trip, not that anything was terrible (except for room service which I'll get to later). It was just that we're not used to having to make several calls to request turn down service or to get bathrobes in the room and then there was the matter of a late check-out, but more on that later.

MF, I have no doubt that we'll have our "1s" back next trip. :)

IMGB40: have fun with or without your son! NBA City has video games right at the bar. I'm sure your son could entertain himself at the bar while you enjoy a HH beverage. :goodvibes

Tonia, when do you leave for your trip?

dsmom, yes, thanks again for the treat! I kept it covered and ate it everyday! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter