• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kilimanjaro Safari - Sunset or Dark?

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We've done the safari a few times during the day and are interested in having an evening/nighttime experience. Should I try to get a FP for sunset or once it's completely dark? Thanks!

We did it in the complete dark, in the pouring rain last trip. We had a FP for dusk but as it was raining, we thought we’d wait it out and see if it stopped. It didn’t so we rode anyway. It wasn’t the easiest ride to see animals but I can’t speak to whether that was a rain issue or a dark issue. They do have the fake sunset lighting so it’s definitely not pitch black. Unfortunately, pictures were a total loss, everything is too dark for that. We did, however, see ALOT of behavior and animals we don’t normally see on KS. The hippos stand out for me because they were playing, rolling around and acting silly. Again, can’t say if that’s because it’s cooler in the evening or if it was due to the rain.

This trip, we are trying to split the difference and hit it at 8:30 next week when sunset is supposed to be 8:31. Then it will be dusky and getting darker but not black yet.

Going when it's completely dark is a waste of a time imo. You won't see anything unless it's right up next to the truck. The only cool part about going when it was completely dark is it has a sort of Haunted hay ride feel to it.

FP sunset, then ride again at night as the lines are usually shorter. We’ve also scored 4th FP for that after dark easily. It is hit or miss in the dark. We’ve seen and heard the lions at night but some other animals are hard if not impossible to see. It is a neat experience to ride at night though.

We did the night time ride last June. We did not see a whole lot activity but seeing one of the female lions stand up on the rock and let out a few full volume roars was pretty amazing. It is definitely our most memorable Safari ride!

Wonderful, thanks everyone! I was leaning toward sunset, so I think I'll stick with that based on what everyone has said. I appreciate it :)

We started just before dark, but it got dark before we finished the safari ride. Hearing the male lion call out in the darkness was the best. It was enough to raise the hair on your arms. We were able to see him up on the rocks as we past thru. It was great.

We have done plenty of morning safari rides, so on our last trip we tried for dark. Like previous posters have mentioned, most of the ride we didn't see much, but the lions were amazing! Both the male and the female lion were so active!

Sunset is better. If you do the Safari when it’s completely dark, you’ll be looking out into a black abyss listening to the driver describe animals that may or may not be out on the savanna. :-)

Gee, were you hiding in the back of the truck on my nighttime safari ride?:D I went once on the last ride of the night. I was the only one on the truck, besides the driver, which should have given me a clue as to how interesting it would not be. Next time, I might try sunset.

We rode in the dark in March, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much we DID see. I guess going in with zero expectations helped, but except for the fact that you can't take pictures, it was enjoyable.

annnnd now we've decided to switch to our usual early morning safari lol. Just because of park hours. But this has been really informative! Thank you :)

We rode just after sunset. Someone described the lighting there as “Prolonged Sunset”. I enjoyed myself and would definitely do it again. Whats fun about the safari is that every experience is different. Even the truck in front of you could just miss what you get to see.

I have been on this Safari probably 30 times. Today was the best (except the one time a Rhino was in the road and I could have touched it lol) ......I kept saying to my husband why does there seem to be so many more active animals this time? It was 5pm and you could tell for many it was feeding time. We guessed that was obviously it.
One safari employee was throwing fish to the pelicans. We actively saw Okapis, Hippos, Rhinos, a Lioness, Armadillos, Elephant, Zebras, Giraffes were crossing the road in front of us.....Zebras, Sleeping Crocs, the Ankole cattle were walking by our jeep....and the cheetah was sneaking up from behind a tree to either go after the other cheetah to play or pounce on it! I won't name all the birds because they are always easy to see and active almost every time. The antelope and whatever the other things are called (they are a type of antelope but with the longest legs ever!!!)

It rained a little today and we went right at 5pm with a fastpass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter