Kilimanjaro Safaris Timing 8:15(ish) PM Sunset

jsmla

DIS Veteran
IMG_2341.PNG

If you wanted to ride the Safari at sunset, for what time would you book your FP?

Thanks!

Honestly... don't do it at sunset. We did right at sunset and thought it would be awesome but you couldn't see anything. So much better in daytime.

Last edited:
Thanks! I've ridden the Safari many, many times but always in daylight. I was hoping to ride just as the sun is setting but it is not quite dark. Dusk, maybe? Afraid I usually mentally check out whenever people talk astronomy.

Thanks! I've ridden the Safari many, many times but always in daylight. I was hoping to ride just as the sun is setting but it is not quite dark. Dusk, maybe? Afraid I usually mentally check out whenever people talk astronomy.

Sunset is actually about 25-30 min. before "dark" so plan accordingly.
(It can also heavily depend on clear vs. cloudy conditions.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is about Safari, but...
about Expedition Everest:

BTW, I absolutely LOVE riding EE in the dark, dark.
They used to offer PM EMH at DAK and riding EE in the blackness was always a goal
(2-3 times, too.)
But, for such a long time they had been closing EE at night that EE in the dark was not available.
Now it is, again.

I would ride about 10-15 min. after "Sunset" and still get the benefit of a semi-light, golden sky.

And, ride again after darkness has fallen.

Figure to book a FP a bit before "sundown" and go get in the FP line right at "sunset."

OTOH, the EE Single Rider Line can be very, very effective (best of the 3 SRLs at WDW.)

We did KS about 30-40 minutes before it got dark in November and it was an AWESOME experience! Enjoy!!!

So are people saying not to ride KS in the dark? I have a 9pm FP booked but might change it ...

So are people saying not to ride KS in the dark? I have a 9pm FP booked but might change it ...

Many people don’t like it.

We did the night safari right after it started awhile back. It was cool as something ‘different’ (have been on the safari many times), but there were some pretty dark spots and it had a rather questionable “not worth it” factor for us.

Did it again at the end of Feb and it was much different this time. A lot more lights, a much better show. Saw tons of animals too. This one was “worth it” for us.

At the end of the day, I wouln’t make a night safari my only safari - but if you have room in your schedule and you’ll be at AK at night anyway, it gets my vote.

One thing, depending on park hours / when your trip is, you might not even need a FP for it that late. We had one, but it was a walk on. YMMV though.

We tried it again last Monday based on @GADisneyDad14 report of improved lighting since it started
It was improved and you can see better. I'm still not a big fan for one single reason. You miss the elephants. At least the female herd. You go by the male enclosure but the night route is different and I don't like it. No baby Stella :(
There isn't enough additional animal movement to make up for it for me. The only time we will do one is as an additional FP and we've done a daytime version

Ok. We are doing a day time one another day so I thought the night time would be good. Might aim for dusk instead. Thank you!

At night ....Plus Lions more active, Negative You cant see too well, Plus Giraffes all in same area very nice, Negative you cant see well

At night ....Plus Lions more active, Negative You cant see too well, Plus Giraffes all in same area very nice, Negative you cant see well

By "negative" do you mean "NO, you CAN see well" or does it mean, "I agree that it's a negative and you CAN'T see well?"

Unclear, like, "Negative, I'm going home."

By "negative" do you mean "NO, you CAN see well" or does it mean, "I agree that it's a negative and you CAN'T see well?"

Unclear, like, "Negative, I'm going home."

good point i mean negative that you cant see well i.e. pro vs con

Last August, we rode both in the morning, and again right around real sunset. We found the two rides to be very different, but both were quite enjoyable. We will be riding at sunset again this year for sure.

Last August, we rode both in the morning, and again right around real sunset. We found the two rides to be very different, but both were quite enjoyable. We will be riding at sunset again this year for sure.

What time did you get your FP for in August?

We've only done the Safari in the mornings. This is the first time we plan to arrive at AK late afternoon. I read sunset is 8:30 pm in August.

Should I shoot for 7:15? I'd prefer twilight. Not complete darkness.

Another ride to do both day and night is the jungle cruise!

We did both daytime and night time safaris on our trip last week. They’re two different experiences and we enjoyed both. It was dark for our night one but the lighting they have makes it fairly easy to spot the animals and they make sure to point them out as well in case you don’t find them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter