Kingdom Keepers

I agree about the writing style and the mistakes. I thought I was the only one! However, the books are fun and I will never look at IASW in the same way again--lol!! I've read all 4 and am a grandmother.

I agree that the writing is horrible.

The reader for the audio book version of Kingdom Keepers is NO Jim Dale. I agree that Jim Dale is amazing. The audiobook reader for KK is about as bad as the writing...lol.

The books are not that good. The writer has a weak style...

I wanted to like the books so much more than I did. I am a big reader, especially of YA lit and I thought this series was TERRIBLE. The writing is very weak and the book is littered with huge holes and errors. I just don't get the love for this series, it was very disappointing.

I agree about the writing style and the mistakes. I thought I was the only one...

I agree that the writing is horrible.

They make a big deal about how much assistance the author had from Disney Cast Members...
but the errors... the SO obvious, major errors... are astounding for anyone familiar with even the basics of WDW.

One glaring miscue...
He makes a point of describing how the kids are riding the monorail to the Studios.
Are you KIDDING me?

I have the series and I love it! I read everything that I can get my hands on that is Disney related! :thumbsup2

Yeah, there are mistakes, but it sure didn't keep me from reading all 4 of them.

They're fun to read, it is a fictional book, but the fact that it is set inside the parks and involves some of the popular Disney Villains, characters and rides makes it something worth reading. It always helps me out when I feel like I need a little Disney.

Yeah, there are mistakes, but it sure didn't keep me from reading all 4 of them.

They're fun to read, it is a fictional book, but the fact that it is set inside the parks and involves some of the popular Disney Villains, characters and rides makes it something worth reading. It always helps me out when I feel like I need a little Disney.

I don't mind any of the "artistic license" kind of fanciful plotting...
that's what makes the stories fun.

But, they need to fit within the real, known framework of the place we all know so well.

The big mistakes are simply the careless mistakes.
Like carefully, detailing the kids' turn-by-turn floating, splashing along in the water-trough trackways of Splash Mountain...
only to COMPLETELY IGNORE the all-important, "lift hill" before the big drop.
The author (Ridley Pearson) just didn't seem to know that it is there.
One of the absolutely most significant sections of Splash Mountain...
the huge, lump-in-your-throat build-up to the climax of the ride...
a great opportunity to build suspense in the book...
and Pearson just doesn't even acknowledge that the lift-hill is there.

Those kind of errors/omissions that nearly any of us here could have easily pointed out, and have been corrected (with so little trouble) by the author.

Poor quality editing.
A sign of sloppy writing
(or simply not caring enough to even ask someone who knows.)

If a news reporter had made any of the errors of geography or ride design in a report on WDW, we'd be all over her/him about it. ;)

I feel the same about someone who makes the overt claim (spells it out in the promotion of the books) to have spent much time in the parks, gone behind-the-scenes with free-reign, and had the
help of many experienced CM's during the writing.

If it doesn't bother anyone else, that's cool.
I just found it so disappointing that Pearson appeared not to care.

Thanks for all the replies. My DS 10 is pretty mature and I think he should be okay with the scary stuff but I will warn him (of course, this may give him MORE reason to want to read them, lol!). If he reads this series and enjoys it, I will recommend the other series (Neverland/Starcatcher).

I only made it halfway through the first book, and I didn't really find it scary. It was creepy in the sense that it was making "The Happiest Place on Earth" not seem happy at all. I just couldn't deal with that!

My kids and I have read the first 3 together and are awaiting the fourth. We find them very entertaining, especially being familiar with the places where the stories occur. I don't worry so much about the flaws, just enjoy the books.

I feel the same about someone who makes the overt claim (spells it out in the promotion of the books) to have spent much time in the parks, gone behind-the-scenes with free-reign, and had the
help of many experienced CM's during the writing.

If it doesn't bother anyone else, that's cool.
I just found it so disappointing that Pearson appeared not to care.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I still think they're a fun read though.

You're absolutely right though about some of these obvious mistakes. I just never really thought about from the standpoint that he made claims about the research and yet still managed to get the details wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes these books.

From a kid's point of view, yes I can see how they are exciting books.

From an adult's point of view (more to the point - mine), weak writing style, lack of attention to detail and yes - I didn't like his attitude towards CMs either.

I was so excited to find out about this series. But so let down after reading the 1st book. This could have been an amazing series! What a shame. :sad2:

I've read all but the last book. I enjoyed them. They were pretty entertaining to me. I'm going to start on the Hidden Mickey series that takes placevin Disneyland next.

I'm on the 3rd book now. I love them and can't wait to finish the 3rd so I can read the 4th one, that I just picked up. Yes, the writing style is weak, but it still a fun read.

I read the first one to see if it would be appropriate for my niece who is in first grade. I thought the story was ok, I mean it won't be winning any awards I'm sure, but it was good for what it was if you take it for what it is. I have given it to my niece and she is enjoying it.

I understand the suspension of disbelief but when one of your main selling points is that the setting of the story is WDW, some of the glaring errors should have been corrected. Though I doubt my niece will pick up on them.

I've read all but the last book. I enjoyed them. They were pretty entertaining to me. I'm going to start on the Hidden Mickey series that takes placevin Disneyland next.

Do you know who the author of that series is?

My library only has the first two, and I enjoyed them. However, in looking for them I discovered his adult books which are much more enjoyable imho. I really think he doesn't do as well outside his main genre which is adult crime thrillers. If you enjoy James Patterson type books, you will probably like his adult books better.

I agree about the writing style and the mistakes. I thought I was the only one! However, the books are fun and I will never look at IASW in the same way again--lol!! I've read all 4 and am a grandmother.

:thumbsup2 OMGosh, yes! There were so many mistakes....and poor grammar. So many times while reading I thought to myself (and maybe said aloud) "okay, this part could have been so good if only he...." & "that should have been the word were, not was." In day-to-day writing or speaking I may not always use proper grammar, but if I was writing a book and paying an editor, I would be sure to do so. ;)

Like another poster said, I was very disappointed in how he portrayed Maybeck. It came across racist. :mad:

When I see Pearson on the Disney Channel in interviews/commercials, his lack of Disney knowledge and ability to get his mind on a kid-level becomes very apparent. Maybe the comment about him sticking to crime thrillers is spot-on. :) :thumbsup2

I'm a huge reader. My kids are all readers. At the ripe old age of 61, I realize that everything is not going to be great literature. I even know of one woman, a teacher, who feels that all Seuss books should be banned for being asinine!! So, with that in mind....I figure that as long as kids are reading something, I'm fine with it. Reading the back of a cereal box is better than no reading at all.

Are these books wonderfully written? Nope, not even close. Are they accurate descriptions of the places we all know so well and love so much?? Nope. Actually amazing to me that the author could have made so many errors.

BUT...my 17 y/o dd and I just bought number 4 in the series, in DHS, last week. We enjoy reading them and then laughing about all the errors we've found. She 'gets' that this isn't terrific writing...she stopped reading the Twilight series because they were such a let down after Harry Potter!!
But they are entertaining.

I just started the first one. I'm enjoying it. It's so completely opposite of what I have been reading lately (non-fiction, social justice issues) Maybe that's why I'm enjoying them so much. It's a nice break from reality. I knew going into it that we weren't looking at Pulitzer material. I'm getting what I was looking for - a YA fiction set in WDW. If I want serious, I can go back to my usual reading material.

I read the first one to see if it would be appropriate for my niece who is in first grade. I thought the story was ok, I mean it won't be winning any awards I'm sure, but it was good for what it was if you take it for what it is. I have given it to my niece and she is enjoying it.

I understand the suspension of disbelief but when one of your main selling points is that the setting of the story is WDW, some of the glaring errors should have been corrected. Though I doubt my niece will pick up on them.

Do you know who the author of that series is?
Nancy Temple Rodrigue

If I want serious, I can go back to my usual reading material.

I don't want serious.

I want accuracy of location (as advertised.).
It's all ABOUT the location.
That's the point of the books.
Fantasy about a real location.
One that is known and discussed, rivet-by-faux tree, by literally millions of visitors, world-wide.

If it was set at the "Springfield Carnival" it wouldn't matter.
But, it is promoted as taking place at Disney parks.
Real places.
Well-known, real places.

Hey, if the animatronics "come to life" in the story, that's great.
It's a fantasy.
We want fantasy in the story.
If a villain from Fantasmic! springs to life to menace our heroes... HURRAH!

But I, for one, want to read these fantasies
based within the real-world presence of the spectacular Disney Parks.
Places that take pride in their "attention to the smallest detail" themeing.

WHY do the author and publisher make such a big deal about the events taking place
(blow-by-blow) in locations that the author doesn't seem to care a whit about?

I have read the first two, i have the third one and I am ordering the 4th. They are good and NOT just for little ones. If you love disney, you will love the books just for the setting in Disney World. Give them a try :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter