Knights and Lights May 29, 08

I'm enjoying the trip report also. It's great!

I'm still waiting on my box in the mail. I'm getting impatient. Maybe I'll send a quick email to the travel agent.

A quick question for those that have already been, are there any cultural differences that I should be aware of? We are traveling with 3 kids. Like shows on TV, things we may see on the streets, etc.

The only thing to warn them is to look the other way when they cross the streets in London, as the cars drive on the other side. It is kind of neat that the streets actually have signs that say "Look this way" with an arrow pointing in the direction the cars are coming. Everything else was fine. We went to one store where the cashiers had multiple piercing, but I've seen worse in Toronto, so doesn't bother me. Oh and I should warn you that British TV censors are a little more liberal than American censors, so they may here the odd swear word or see the odd body part, but to be honest, we were so busy that we didn't have much time for TV.

e are going on the nights and lights tour may 29 2008
:goodvibes

I got my box today! It makes it seem real now. I feel like I need to do some planning for our free time. We usually just wing it though.

Hi Steno,

I was just reading this thread (again!) and realized that you are leaving soon! Have a great time and remember to post back with how things went.

I'm so jealous that you guys are all going before me! I'm living vicariously through you. I really can't wait, and i don't even have "the box" yet!

Cheryl, I still have to get "my French coach". I'm waiting to do everything until after next week. I have a huge exam on Monday. Wish me luck!

:goodvibes 18 days to go! I can't believe it. Thanks for your well-wishes. I'll post when I get back. Gotta pay it forward on the knowledge! Mucho luck on your exams!

Hi Steno,

I was just reading this thread (again!) and realized that you are leaving soon! Have a great time and remember to post back with how things went.

I'm so jealous that you guys are all going before me! I'm living vicariously through you. I really can't wait, and i don't even have "the box" yet!

Cheryl, I still have to get "my French coach". I'm waiting to do everything until after next week. I have a huge exam on Monday. Wish me luck!

Only 4 more days! I bet you are packed and ready. I'm 10 days away and thinking about getting things ready to pack. I like to make little stacks in everyone's room. Then I threaten them not to touch them, ha! ha! With 3 kids there's a lot of packing. I'm so excited I don't mind though.

I have the suitecases under the bed so I can slide them out, put in the stuff and slide them back under. So far no actual clothes are packed, though I pretty much know what I'm taking, but all my books and converters and camera stuff and a box of peanut butter crackers, toiletries, copies of all our documents. . . . . . you get the idea! LOL

Okay, so I'm getting desperate enough to think about packing some diet pepsi in zip lock bags in my checked bags. Bad idea?? The cokes over there are just so nasty, and that's what I drink for my caffeine. I tried drinking some of DH's coffee this week and almost threw up. I don't know how the coffee drinkers do it. I think I could force down some tea maybe, but I really want my diet pepsi. What kind of traveler am I? *sigh*

I'm very excited about the trip. I really am. But I'm also strangely nervous, but I'm having to keep up the super excited chipper front for the DH who's not the greatest traveler. This is a really big deal for us; I guess I just want it to go well. When I was younger I just went with no cares in the world. Nothing bad would ever happen to me, and if something did I would just figure it out. What happened to that person? Beat down by life? :cutie: Must be age talking. We're going to have a great trip. I can't wait to come back and tell y'all about it.

No, really, though what do you think about my diet pepsi in ziplock bags idea? Just one or two for emergancies.

No, really, though what do you think about my diet pepsi in ziplock bags idea? Just one or two for emergancies.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the safety/leaking of pepsi in your checked luggage. It all depends if the cargo area is heated and pressurized. That's at the discretion of the Captain, I believe. Maybe you could buy 2 or 3 in the 'secured' area of the airport and then put them in your carry-on, or get them from the airline attendant when they travel with the carts up and down the aisles.

Whatever you do, I would have an extra ziplock bag in my carry-on to hold them.

Have a great time!

Have a fantastic trip! You are in for one fantastic adventure. If you get Francesc ... say Hi from Mary Jane for me!

I've been checking the weather and it looks like low 70's for the highs. Are you packing long pants mostly? I'm thinking it will be a little cool in the mornings and evenings for shorts. My husband read somewhere that the French don't wear shorts much.
I'm starting to get nervous about what we will eat over there also. We are picky eaters and not very adventurous. I just started eating a few more veggies the last year or so. I guess I can always find a McDonalds somewhere. :thumbsup2

I've been checking the weather and it looks like low 70's for the highs. Are you packing long pants mostly? I'm thinking it will be a little cool in the mornings and evenings for shorts. My husband read somewhere that the French don't wear shorts much.
I'm starting to get nervous about what we will eat over there also. We are picky eaters and not very adventurous. I just started eating a few more veggies the last year or so. I guess I can always find a McDonalds somewhere. :thumbsup2

My daughter is a picky eater too, and she didn't starve :rotfl: . They have a very neat McDonald's on the Champs d'Elysee that you should check out! It is only a few blocks from the Disney Store!

You won't starve - the ABD-supplied meals offer a pretty good selection. Outside of ABD, we never had a problem with PES (Picky Eater Syndrome). Relax, it'll be fine!

As for weather and clothing, all I can say is that shorts are fairly uncommon in London and Paris (Europe in general) unless you're tourist (same goes for sneakers). That said, I think we pretty much stuck to long pants, short sleeves, and sneakers for walking around.

MJ: I wrote a note to myself for your Hi, so you're all set.

As for attire I haven't worn shorts in ten years, so I'm not starting now! LOL And left foot is kinda acting up so it's sneakers for me no matter what. I'm taking long pants and maybe one pair of capris just in case. But the weather looks perfect. 72 is my favorite degree. My DH says it's the Disney magic starting already. LOL We're leaving for the airport tomorrow at 1:30. We have Picky Eater Syndrome, too, so I'll report back for you. :goodvibes

Thanks MJ and Klondon, y'all's trip reports really inspired me and helped me feel more prepared. :thumbsup2

You won't starve - the ABD-supplied meals offer a pretty good selection. Outside of ABD, we never had a problem with PES (Picky Eater Syndrome). Relax, it'll be fine!

As for weather and clothing, all I can say is that shorts are fairly uncommon in London and Paris (Europe in general) unless you're tourist (same goes for sneakers). That said, I think we pretty much stuck to long pants, short sleeves, and sneakers for walking around.

KLondon:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLOG! My BFF and I are planning this trip for Fall 2009 (unless ABD annouces something new we like better). I REALLY appreciate your listing of the restaurants and sometimes menus; I was able to find the menus for most places.

I'm an incredibly picky eater (yes, PES); so those menus really calmed my anxiety.

Overall - fantastic job! (P.S. Tell your daughter she not the only BandGeek on the planet!)
Gayle

THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLOG!

Gayle.... I'm so glad you enjoyed my trip report! It was so much fun (usually...) looking back through my trip journal and recalling the details of our fantastic trip. But I'm even more gratified that so many folks from Disboards and beyond have stopped by regularly and found it useful.

We're headed on another ABD trip (Costa Rica) in August - and I'm already looking forward to posting another report (albeit shorter, I imagine).

Thanks again!

Kevin

Crazylegs, my eyes are glazed over and my backside died hours ago, but I couldn't stop reading. Thank you for taking me along on the ride.

I'm back y'all!

We had the most super wonderful time. And, yes, MJ, I told Francesc (sp?) that you said HI! He remembered you and your daughter and said to say hi back and he was touched that you all remembered him. He was delightful and funny and wonderful. As was Eddie, our other guide, terrific in every way. We had two guides in training: Andy is from the UK and seemed super nice, and Damion from Paris who my husband and I are a little bit in love with. We were trying to strap him to our backpack and make him into our Pal Damion for Paris! He wouldn't go for that, but was very helpful. Even gave out his phone number in case we got lost (which we didn't)

I'll answer all questions as quickly as I can, but my intention to write a trip report has been put on hold because we sold our house while we were at Disneyland Paris! :cool1: :banana: :cool1: Disney magic really is some powerful stuff. My phone bill is going to be off the charts, but it's totally worth it. The new people need our house by the end of the month, so needless to say I'm running around like a crazy person.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support. I really can't seem to find enough words to say how great the trip was. The Magic really was there in every way.

PS: Hey, MJ, you're right about the line areas for the rides at DLP. They are VERY dark. My husband had to lead me through because I couldn't see a thing. You can tell they don't sue over there and have socialized medicine cause Pirates is a lawsuit waiting to happen! LOL

I'm back y'all!

We had the most super wonderful time. And, yes, MJ, I told Francesc (sp?) that you said HI! He remembered you and your daughter and said to say hi back and he was touched that you all remembered him. He was delightful and funny and wonderful. As was Eddie, our other guide, terrific in every way. We had two guides in training: Andy is from the UK and seemed super nice, and Damion from Paris who my husband and I are a little bit in love with. We were trying to strap him to our backpack and make him into our Pal Damion for Paris! He wouldn't go for that, but was very helpful. Even gave out his phone number in case we got lost (which we didn't)

I'll answer all questions as quickly as I can, but my intention to write a trip report has been put on hold because we sold our house while we were at Disneyland Paris! :cool1: :banana: :cool1: Disney magic really is some powerful stuff. My phone bill is going to be off the charts, but it's totally worth it. The new people need our house by the end of the month, so needless to say I'm running around like a crazy person.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support. I really can't seem to find enough words to say how great the trip was. The Magic really was there in every way.

PS: Hey, MJ, you're right about the line areas for the rides at DLP. They are VERY dark. My husband had to lead me through because I couldn't see a thing. You can tell they don't sue over there and have socialized medicine cause Pirates is a lawsuit waiting to happen! LOL

Welcome back Lauren and Congrats on selling your house! Thanks for saying Hi to Francesc... I feel honoured that he remembered me! Did you like Crush's Coaster? I agree about Pirates... more lighting please!

On the Tower of London day with the rest of the day free-does anyone remember the time the tour left for Tower of London and when it was finished? We are debating on a tour to Stonehenge and Bath that day but would hate to miss the TOL. The tour leaves at 10:45am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter