Kona review--7/11/06

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
We stayed at the Polynesian this time so we ate our first dinner at Kona, and then just stayed at the resort.
There was no wait with our ADR; we were seated right away at 6:20. Our waiter was Greg and he was our best server of the whole trip (they were all good or great, but he was the best).
Our daughters are 11 and 14 and as such are adults as far as the dining plan goes. They had questions to ask at almost every "nice" meal about what this or that was. He was very patient with them.
For appetizers we all got different things. DH got pot stickers, I got crab cakes, DD#1 got sticky wings, DD#2 got a salad. DS (8) got a fruit cup.
For our meals DH got prime rib, I got the filet mignon, both DD's got the turkey medallions and DS got grilled cheese.
We got a koko puff dessert for our anniversary, plus we got other desserts--DD#1 got the torte, DD#2 got the cheesecake, and I got the mousse. DS got ice cream
There were no problems with any of these meals! The girls thought the turkey was a little spicy but things around here are pretty bland. The filet was wonderful! I also had a bite of DH's prime rib and it was also great. The desserts at this place alone are worth the price of admission!
Our bill was around $200 including the tip, and we gave him some extra. It was a great start to our trip and proof right away to DH that the DDP was a good idea!
Robin M.

Great review, we are looking fowardto trying Kona for our first time this up~coming trip!!

WOW $200!! We ate like pigs there- with myself, DH, DS(12) dd(8) ds(3) ds(1) but he didn't order anything. We drank a mixed drink the kids had fruity something kind of drinks. I did use the DDE but our bill never came to more than $80(with tip never over $100) we ate there twice. Just didn't want anyone to feel sticker shock and avoid it. It is our favorite place to eat. It is an easy doable under $100(we shared and apt. and each ordered dessert- each including the kids!) Oh and we have had Greg and he is great!* our waitresses this time were fine- but no Greg. Thanks for the review and glad you liked it too! You ordered things we have never tried so I like to hear about them.

I honestly don't know about vegetarian stuff--I saw a vegetarian dish on one of our menus but I don't remember which one--I am thinking either Kona, Spoodles or Le Cellier.
The crab cakes were great! There were only 3 of them, but they were presented beautifully and tasted yummy.
The $200 included the 18% tip. Remember we have 4 "adults" --and some of the appetizers are $10-12; desserts are around $5-7, I think. It really adds up. Before DDP we would never get appetizers or desserts!
Robin M.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Did your DS8 have a choice for desserts at Kona? I read in another post that someones kids were only offered ice-cream or a brownie. I was hoping to get my kids the Kiddie Kone, but that is listed as an adult dessert.

Great review, sounds like the perfect way to start off your trip. Thanks for sharing! :sunny:

McKelly, I know those two options were on the kids menu, and he was happy with the ice cream, but I bet if he wanted an adult dessert Greg would have made it happen for us.
Robin M.

McKelly said:
Did your DS8 have a choice for desserts at Kona? I read in another post that someones kids were only offered ice-cream or a brownie. I was hoping to get my kids the Kiddie Kone, but that is listed as an adult dessert.

We were there the end of last month and my DD5 got the Kiddie Kone. I just don't know how that dessert stays standing up!

Great review :wave:
I just changed our ressie for Kona from bf to dinner the other day and your post made me glad I did. Yummmmm....crab cakes :p

Thank you for your review and for the information on the children's ice cream dessert. I knew DD8 would want one when her older brother ordered one and I was worried about how that was going to play out.

Thanx for the review. We love Kona and look forward to eating there using DDP for the first time.

You mention your DS got a fruit cup as an appetizer. They do not list any kids' appys ... was that something the server offered on his own initiative?

So, looking forward to Kona. I have yet, to hear or see a bad review of this place. Thanks so much for your review!!

what would you suggest for a dessert choice?
what are koko puffs?? Can you explain?

thanks

I have ADR\'s there twice next week for bkfst and dinner

as much as I love the Poly I have never been to Kona

thanks for the reviews

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter