KTN middle inital/ID full name

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
I’ve tried searching and can’t find an answer to my specific question so my apologies if this is somewhere else.

My KTN was issued with my middle initial (Jane M. Smith), but my government ID has my full name on it (Jane Marie Smith). Do I have a problem?

I know I can call and ask but thought I’d see if I can find out what actually happens in practice…

The only issue is going to be what's in the airline computers. That is what pulls the TSA info and where you might have an issue.

I was worried since Real ID required , at least in my state, to have full middle name. I tried to go by middle initial and they wouldn’t let me.

I was going to try to change my name with airline but seemed like a lot of hoops and one airline had an unsecure way to send PII.

I figured I’d give it a try in Dec to see what happened. Turned out no problem for myself or any family members. We all had precheck. My DD flew a diff airline home and no prob for her either.

I was worried since Real ID required , at least in my state, to have full middle name. I tried to go by middle initial and they wouldn’t let me.
Interesting. I don't have a middle name. 🤷 My Real ID shows first and last.

Both my ID and pre check have my full name (first, middle, last), so that is how I book all my airline tickets. When I first got precheck, I had an upcoming trip that had just the middle initial, so I called the airline and asked for that to be updated (and why I was asking), and it was not an issue at all.

Both my ID and pre check have my full name (first, middle, last), so that is how I book all my airline tickets. When I first got precheck, I had an upcoming trip that had just the middle initial, so I called the airline and asked for that to be updated (and why I was asking), and it was not an issue at all.
My KTN was issued with my middle initial only, though. The airline can’t do anything about that. I’ve got a mismatch between my KTN info and my ID info. No airlines are involved here.

I have never used my middle name (or initial) when booking airline tickets (and have never entered it into my profile) and not had any issues using KTN.

I have never used my middle name (or initial) when booking airline tickets (and have never entered it into my profile) and not had any issues using KTN.
Was your KTN issued with a middle name or initial? Like, you’re entering “mismatching” names and it still works?

I’m wildly inconsistent about using my middle name. Some official documents have it, others don’t. When I book flights for personal travel, I don’t enter it. But when I book business travel through my company portal, it includes my middle name.

Nonetheless, I’ve never had an issue with my Known Traveler Number. Whether my middle name is there or not, PreCheck shows up on my boarding pass every time, and I am a frequent flyer. You should be fine!

International travel....You can have issues if your airline ticket isn't an exact match for your passport. Issues can include not being allowed to fly or paying a fee to have your name changed on your ticket

When I applied for Pre Check, I did not include my middle name. I'm another one, like @jdisnut who sometimes has middle names and sometimes doesn't.

I didn't realize at the time that my Delta account *DID* have my middle name. So I get my KTN, add it to my Delta account, get the first BP, and... no pre check.

I ended up calling Delta and they combined my first and middle names (FirstMiddle vs First Middle), reissued the ticket, and I had pre check.

I’m wildly inconsistent about using my middle name. Some official documents have it, others don’t. When I book flights for personal travel, I don’t enter it. But when I book business travel through my company portal, it includes my middle name.

Nonetheless, I’ve never had an issue with my Known Traveler Number. Whether my middle name is there or not, PreCheck shows up on my boarding pass every time, and I am a frequent flyer. You should be fine!
That is interesting, and good to know. Thanks!

International travel....You can have issues if your airline ticket isn't an exact match for your passport. Issues can include not being allowed to fly or paying a fee to have your name changed on your ticket
I know, and I always book my airline ticket to match my drivers license and passport, which both include my full middle name.

It’s my KTN that was issued with middle initial only. That doesn’t affect my ability to fly, just my ability to get precheck. Or maybe it doesn’t actually affect it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

But either way, I can get on a plane with no problem.

Before precheck, I just used my first and last name and never had an issue with my middle name on my license. With precheck, it has my middle name. I had a flight booked before getting precheck and after I got it, I emailed southwest to update my name on my account to add my middle name to my account. When I got my boarding pass, it did not include precheck so I called and in a matter of minutes, it was fixed. No issues after.

Before precheck, I just used my first and last name and never had an issue with my middle name on my license. With precheck, it has my middle name. I had a flight booked before getting precheck and after I got it, I emailed southwest to update my name on my account to add my middle name to my account. When I got my boarding pass, it did not include precheck so I called and in a matter of minutes, it was fixed. No issues after.
We book under my husband’s account and I use my full middle name as is on my ID. My KTN was issued with my middle initial only. I can’t change how I’m booking my ticket per TSA rules (ticket must match ID).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter