Lack of crowds and Disney's response

By my previous post you can tell I’m not a SW super fan. :) In the same token, I know just as much about Harry Potter. (Some theme park needs to design a Seinfeld Land, then I’d be all giddy!):rotfl2:

But I digress...

So my question is for you Potter fans. Does WWoHP have things in places that don’t belong? Anything incorrect with timing to the series? And if so, does it really bother the super fans? As a regular visitor, I found it amazing. Lots of stuff I had no clue about, but my daughter filled me in.

I don’t think that WWoHP has to fit a timeline quite like SW. But I could be totally wrong. :confused3 Just wondering if SWGE incorporates things from all movies, would sort of be in line to WWoHP incorporating all their movies? I don’t know if you could compare those two on this issue though. Oranges vs. Apples maybe.
I am a HUGE Potterhead 🙋‍♀️ Previous posters have already mentioned it, but the location of Ollivander’s Wand Shop was a glaring departure from both books and movies. The other thing that came to mind is in Florida, when you use the restrooms by The Three Broomsticks, you can hear Moaning Myrtle crying. But that never happened in the books; Moaning Myrtle was confined to the castle and, once, the Black Lake. But I will say that although fans noticed these things, they didn’t cause an uproar. More like, “Ollivanders doesn’t go in Hogsmeade!” followed immediately by “Who cares?! I want a WAND THAT CHOOSES ME!” And everyone moved on and had a great time.

Forbidden Journey is a mish-mash of the first three-ish books, Flight of the Hippogriff has to be book 3 (though it doesn’t tell much of a story in and of itself), Ollivanders Wand Shop experience is book 1 (but of course students buy wands every year), the Hogwarts Express appears in every book except 7 but some of the experiences on it are specific to certain books (book 3 in particular), and Escape from Gringotts is book 7. Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes didn’t open in Diagon Alley until book 6, so the whole of the Alley must be loosely located in books 6 and 7, but that’s not a perfect fit because Ollivander’s was... vacant... during most of book 7. But as others have said here, Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are less rooted in a timeline than Star Wars. They are just streets and places, like Kings Cross Station and Piccadilly Circus, and I’m not actually sure I’ve ever heard fans talk about a specific timeline for WWoHP.

In trying to understand the frustration some fans feel about Batuu not being a place featured in Star Wars or having any of the original characters, I have tried to imagine something similar with HP. Like, if instead of going to WWoHP and visiting Hogwarts, Universal had instead decided to build Ilvermorny (the American wizarding school). It would be canon, technically, and I’d think it’s cool and probably check it out sometime, but I wouldn’t have been *compelled* to be there like I was with Hogwarts.

Last edited:
...I’m not actually sure I’ve ever heard fans talk about a specific timeline.

In trying to understand the frustration some fans feel about Batuu not being a place featured in Star Wars or having any of the original characters, I have tried to imagine something similar with HP. Like, if instead of going to WWoHP and visiting Hogwarts, Universal had instead made the decision to build Ilvermorny (the American wizarding school). It would be canon, technically, and I’d think it’s cool and probably check it out sometime, but I wouldn’t have been *compelled* to be there like I was with Hogwarts.
You know, I haven’t heard anyone talk about it there either. I’ve taken 2 different friends on different trips & my family on another trip for their first visits and not 1 person brought up the inconsistency. Every one of them was too busy being as excited as a 5 year old at Christmas exploring around. And “compelled” is the right word. It’s taken me and my friends and family time to put the resources together for our trip/s to WWoHP but we all did it. Practically felt compelled- even my friend who “doesn’t do theme parks” couldn’t wait to go, lol.

In SWGE defense HP didn’t have the multi-generational thing SW does to address. There was only one HP fan base. Now we have Fantastic Beasts but because Universal didn’t wait on building the original HP World so they can make Fantastic Beasts into its own land. Not an option with SW. And before one more person says “go to Tomorrowland if you want old SW!” Puh-lease! Tomorrowland is the sorriest, saddest excuse for a land in all of Disneyland/Disney World (once Tron hits WDW it won’t be in this category!).

You know, I haven’t heard anyone talk about it there either. I’ve taken 2 different friends on different trips & my family on another trip for their first visits and not 1 person brought up the inconsistency. Every one of them was too busy being as excited as a 5 year old at Christmas exploring around. And “compelled” is the right word. It’s taken me and my friends and family time to put the resources together for our trip/s to WWoHP but we all did it. Practically felt compelled- even my friend who “doesn’t do theme parks” couldn’t wait to go, lol.

In SWGE defense HP didn’t have the multi-generational thing SW does to address. There was only one HP fan base. Now we have Fantastic Beasts but because Universal didn’t wait on building the original HP World so they can make Fantastic Beasts into its own land. Not an option with SW. And before one more person says “go to Tomorrowland if you want old SW!” Puh-lease! Tomorrowland is the sorriest, saddest excuse for a land in all of Disneyland/Disney World (once Tron hits WDW it won’t be in this category!).
I completely agree with the generational challenge, especially considering that the fans from the 70s and 80s who were first introduced to Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie have a very different attachment to Star Wars than the children who are now first fans of Rey, Poe, Finn, and BB8. Harry Potter has been around long enough that it's becoming multi-generational, but it's still the same story with the same places and people.

I am a HUGE Potterhead 🙋‍♀️ Previous posters have already mentioned it, but the location of Ollivander’s Wand Shop was a glaring departure from both books and movies. The other thing that came to mind is in Florida, when you use the restrooms by The Three Broomsticks, you can hear Moaning Myrtle crying. But that never happened in the books; Moaning Myrtle was confined to the castle and, once, the Black Lake. But I will say that although fans noticed these things, they didn’t cause an uproar. More like, “Ollivanders doesn’t go in Hogsmeade!” followed immediately by “Who cares?! I want a WAND THAT CHOOSES ME!” And everyone moved on and had a great time.

Forbidden Journey is a mish-mash of the first three-ish books, Flight of the Hippogriff has to be book 3 (though it doesn’t tell much of a story in and of itself), Ollivanders Wand Shop experience is book 1 (but of course students buy wands every year), the Hogwarts Express appears in every book except 7 but some of the experiences on it are specific to certain books (book 3 in particular), and Escape from Gringotts is book 7. Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes didn’t open in Diagon Alley until book 6, so the whole of the Alley must be loosely located in books 6 and 7, but that’s not a perfect fit because Ollivander’s was... vacant... during most of book 7. But as others have said here, Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are less rooted in a timeline than Star Wars. They are just streets and places, like Kings Cross Station and Piccadilly Circus, and I’m not actually sure I’ve ever heard fans talk about a specific timeline for WWoHP.

In trying to understand the frustration some fans feel about Batuu not being a place featured in Star Wars or having any of the original characters, I have tried to imagine something similar with HP. Like, if instead of going to WWoHP and visiting Hogwarts, Universal had instead decided to build Ilvermorny (the American wizarding school). It would be canon, technically, and I’d think it’s cool and probably check it out sometime, but I wouldn’t have been *compelled* to be there like I was with Hogwarts.
Just have to say, I think I love you. :lovestruc

I agree with the issues on Hagrid's coaster, but I am not sure I understand your point with respect to the new Universal hotel. Why wouldn't the availability of low cost resort accommodations 5 minutes from Universal's gates be a factor for tourists deciding which park to visit or stay at? Especially considering Universal is almost always running some sort of ticket promo (right now, it's buy-2-days-get-2-days).

Honestly, I don't know the answer. I can't see any advantage to staying there as opposed to staying at Cabana Bay, which is right there.

Honestly, I don't know the answer. I can't see any advantage to staying there as opposed to staying at Cabana Bay, which is right there.
The benefit is that the rooms are cheaper. For a family on a budget, an $85 Endless Summer room might make a lot of sense over Cabana Bay’s $144. Do you lose some of the convenience? Yeah probably, but a 5 minute shuttle ride to the entrance is worth it to a lot of people to save $59 a night. Basically, you can now stay at a Universal resort hotel for the same cost as an offsite budget property. If DL had a hotel anywhere that was the same cost as what I paid for BWPPI, you’d bet I’d have booked there!

I completely agree with the generational challenge, especially considering that the fans from the 70s and 80s who were first introduced to Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie have a very different attachment to Star Wars than the children who are now first fans of Rey, Poe, Finn, and BB8. Harry Potter has been around long enough that it's becoming multi-generational, but it's still the same story with the same places and people.

Yeah, and unfortunately Star Wars also seems to lend itself to generation exclusivity, as in some of the original fans only like the OT and only want "MY Star Wars" and nothing further. Others don't really care about the old stuff and only really like the new, Disney Star Wars. I guess the Prequel fans really get left out in the cold! Personally, I love all Star Wars, and even though I grew up witht he OT, I actually think the Prequels are my favorites.

I have to say that all of the negative reviews and lack of crowds has, strangely, intrigued me and made me more excited to visit SWGE on our next visit to WDW next year.

I’ve been on the Ratatouille ride at DLP. Not a fan. But I can see how it would fit in quite nicely in France pavilion in Epcot. I’m actually looking forward to giving it another try.

You have a point with SWGE fitting into DCA more than DL. I haven’t been yet, but from an outside perspective you’re on point with how it would flow better at DCA. I think HS is the right fit for WDW.

On the outside, yes, the entire Ratatouille area in DLP would certainly fit in Epcot's France. But I'm not sure about the ride itself. World's Showcase has quite a leisurely feel to it, mellow and relaxed, and designed to stroll around. The two rides in Epcot fit with that. Ratatouille the ride is fast and a bit hyperactive, that's where I struggle to see the fit.
I'm not a fan of the ride myself, my body cannot cope the sudden moves and the 3D.

When designing a new land or area, Disney shouldn't just look at what is popular and what will bring in money, but also which park, where is it located, what is the feel of the park etc.

I feel like the huge gaps between the OT, PT, and ST are in part what makes SW fans divisive, tbh, so it's super hard if you try to please everybody.

I feel like the huge gaps between the OT, PT, and ST are in part what makes SW fans divisive, tbh, so it's super hard if you try to please everybody.

This is definitely true. People saw Star Wars when they were 8 years old and fell in love with it - no doubt it made an impression! When Episode I came out, they were now 30 years old, and it didn't all go over so well - but they often forget that sitting in that same theater was an 8 year old seeing Star Wars on the big screen for the first time and loving it just as much as they did (of course I was in my 20's and still loved Ep. I). Most "flaws" cited int he prequels pretty much apply to the OT too, but they didn't see it because they were less critical when they were exposed to it. Then you have expectations for the Sequel trilogy, and it can never really be met. It can't just please the OT fans or the Prequel fans - what it really needs to do is please the 8 year old of today. I think they do that (and me too, but I never really grew up :p ). Star Wars is for that 8 year old in all of us!

This is definitely true. People saw Star Wars when they were 8 years old and fell in love with it - no doubt it made an impression! When Episode I came out, they were now 30 years old, and it didn't all go over so well - but they often forget that sitting in that same theater was an 8 year old seeing Star Wars on the big screen for the first time and loving it just as much as they did (of course I was in my 20's and still loved Ep. I). Most "flaws" cited int he prequels pretty much apply to the OT too, but they didn't see it because they were less critical when they were exposed to it. Then you have expectations for the Sequel trilogy, and it can never really be met. It can't just please the OT fans or the Prequel fans - what it really needs to do is please the 8 year old of today. I think they do that (and me too, but I never really grew up :p ). Star Wars is for that 8 year old in all of us!

Exactly. I'm an outlier as I watched all of the movies as an adult and appreciate them all, though I skew towards the ST.

Yep. The reasonable fans understand this. George Lucas has said it numerous times. He said something to the effect of "I made Star Wars for the 12 year old kids in the theaters." My husband says that he isn't surprised he didn't love the new trilogy movies, but qualified it with, "but I'm not 12 years old anymore so I'm not the target audience."

Our 13 year old liked SWGE. So, there you go.

On the outside, yes, the entire Ratatouille area in DLP would certainly fit in Epcot's France. But I'm not sure about the ride itself. World's Showcase has quite a leisurely feel to it, mellow and relaxed, and designed to stroll around. The two rides in Epcot fit with that. Ratatouille the ride is fast and a bit hyperactive, that's where I struggle to see the fit.
I'm not a fan of the ride myself, my body cannot cope the sudden moves and the 3D.

When designing a new land or area, Disney shouldn't just look at what is popular and what will bring in money, but also which park, where is it located, what is the feel of the park etc.

Tomorrowland has the People Movers and Space Mountain. The Land Pavillion has Living with the Land and Soarin'. Yes, those are different areas, but having a mix of leisure and high intensity rides is quite common.

IMHO, having a ride that is a little more intense doesn't seem to be a huge factor in why it wouldn't belong in World Showcase. I am not saying it isn't a valid point, but I don't think it is too dramatic of a departure (like a roller coaster) to think it doesn't belong.

Yep. The reasonable fans understand this. George Lucas has said it numerous times. He said something to the effect of "I made Star Wars for the 12 year old kids in the theaters." My husband says that he isn't surprised he didn't love the new trilogy movies, but qualified it with, "but I'm not 12 years old anymore so I'm not the target audience."

Our 13 year old liked SWGE. So, there you go

Exactly. My nine year old son and I have seen every SW from the new trilogy (including Solo and Rogue One) on opening day and the theater is always FILLED with happy kids in costumes and SW gear. This is the Star Wars they are growing up with. The effect of nostalgia is huge - hence the diehard love for the originals. Those are the ones I grew up with so of course I’m always going to have strong feelings about them.

I'm a Star Wars fan from early childhood. I was only 4 years old when my father took me to see A New Hope. I loved that movie so much. I even wanted to marry R2D2 when I was 4, lol. My father also took me to see Empire and Jedi in the theater, and those are the three movies only movies in my entire childhood that he took me to, and they're such special memories of time together. I wasn't thrilled with the prequels, but I was excited for the new trilogy because I would be the parent this time taking my son to see them. And he liked Force Awakens and Last Jedi, but he absolutely loves the original trilogy. He even found VHS copies of the original trilogy so he could watch them without all the changes George Lucas made. So we're both really looking forward to our trip next month to go to SWGE, but I think we'd both be beyond excited if there were more original trilogy details. I'm guessing you can never make everyone happy.

I'm a Star Wars fan from early childhood. I was only 4 years old when my father took me to see A New Hope. I loved that movie so much. I even wanted to marry R2D2 when I was 4, lol. My father also took me to see Empire and Jedi in the theater, and those are the three movies only movies in my entire childhood that he took me to, and they're such special memories of time together. I wasn't thrilled with the prequels, but I was excited for the new trilogy because I would be the parent this time taking my son to see them. And he liked Force Awakens and Last Jedi, but he absolutely loves the original trilogy. He even found VHS copies of the original trilogy so he could watch them without all the changes George Lucas made. So we're both really looking forward to our trip next month to go to SWGE, but I think we'd both be beyond excited if there were more original trilogy details. I'm guessing you can never make everyone happy.

Tbh, marrying R2 seems like a good plan.

DCA is slammed today. We are here. Using maxpass abs having a good time. Will go to Disneyland park tonight. It looks less busy over there.

Disneyland was awesome at rope drop this morning. Rode Hyperspace four times in a row -DS fave right now. Then worked our way through Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. Going to SWGE after pool time. Excited to check out the GE Disney App game other posters have mentioned!! Fun to see if that makes the land more interesting. Thanks for the tip...and I’ll update our take on it tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter