Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!

Amen sister. Let's see a stay-at home mom with 2 children under 6 who works part time in her husband's business and does all the paperwork/bookkeeping. Oh yeah - your 5 people didn't do the working in the RV business while they were gone, did they?? Obviously, you deserved a break and looks like you got one. So glad you had a nice trip.:cool1:

No, they didn't do any of the business stuff... just the kids stuff. I had to do all the business stuff before I left. :rolleyes:

What? :confused3 That's the end??? No more???

I'm afraid so. Nothing more to tell. Well, I did forget to mention about the drive through south Georgia. What is up with that stretch from Macon to the state line? There is one cluster of billboards that are all for "massage parlors". They don't say "spa" or anything like that, they say "massage parlors". The pictures on them are very suggestive. One of them even says that you can request "American, Asian, or Latino". Ummm... if they are selling what I think they are selling... how are they getting away with it? :confused:

Also, there are so many billboards for the nudie place near the state line it isn't even funny. Most of the pictures of the girls are the same ones that have been up since the early 90s. If those girls are still dancing, I doubt they look like that anymore.

Toss in the billboards for the "adult" stores and that is an interesting stretch of highway. I'm not looking forward to the questions that will come up on our next road trip with the boys now that Joshua can read. :eek:

That was a GREAT race. You were really lucky with finding that great hotel so close and everything. The weather was good, too! Not sure about the bar experience :lmao: but at least it sounds you like you had fun!
Thanks for sharing it!

I have to tell you what we did:
We (Dh and I) have been fans since the 80's as well, we know about the getting made fun of stuff as well.:confused3

We knew we just had to do the Daytona 500 but we kept saying - oh, maybe next year. Well, after Earnhardt passed away we knew there may not be a "next year" so we had to do it.

I was not so lucky - our seats were just about exactly in the same spot (great seats!) but our "hotel" was a houseboat on the St. John's river, complete with alligators and everything! They told us - don't worry they can't get in the boat :scared1: - it turned out to be very cool though. We BBQ'd on our "deck" each night after the race and took the boat up the river each morning.

Our plan was to rent a car and stop for 1 night @ WDW on the way from the airport. Well, I managed to get a GREAT rate on the car - online :yay: . We, went to pick it up - had to take a bus to get there - and were told "you need a UK driver's license for this car and if don't have one , we don't have a car for you." WHAT???:eek: After several calls, we wound up taking a cab to ASM at like midnight. My DH is stressing BIG time! We couldn't find a car anywhere! We spent the whole next morning trying. So, I got an idea let's rent a U-haul :lmao: - we got one! A big U-haul van that we drove all week!!! It was easy to spot in the parking lot!!

We went to Daytona USA after the Busch race and stayed too long and had to walk back to the lot one night and that was fun :rolleyes: . It drizzled all weekend and, of course, my driver blew his engine on the 2nd lap of the 500!:headache:

We still had a great time though!:goodvibes

Just wanted to share our little adventure with you.

I'm sad your trippie is over....where's the pic of you in your t-shirt? Had flaunt some @r$e for that...remember :rolleyes1

Leta & Mike made it to their seats just before the drop of the green flag. They would only sell 2 mixed drinks to anybody at a time, so they each bought me 2 rum & cokes. They looked so funny carrying a cardboard drink tray with 4 rum & cokes in it! They will, however, sell you all the beer you want at a time. That makes NO sense to me. Like you can't get just as hammered from beer? Whatever. They bought a bucket of ice with 5 beers shoved in it. I think it cost us $1200. Just kidding! The mixed drinks were $7 each and the beer was $5 per (tall) can... plus $3 for the bucket of ice. Yeah, that's a $50 tab for not all that much, but what the heck. Not like we do this every day, right?

What was the hold-up that morning.....besides Mike? Looks like she really missed a lot of 'pre-race' fun :rolleyes: But, it was nice they brought you drinks....and the bucket o beer :thumbsup2 smart idea! (Jodie tells me they sell that on the Disney cruise....will have to have DH check into that... )

One of the things about the Daytona 500 that confuses me is why they start it so late in the afternoon. Usually, the start time for a race is either early enough in the day that the race will be done before sunset, or the start time is late enough that the race runs entirely after suset. Daytona starts late enough in the afternoon that the sun sets DURING the race.

Daytona63.jpg

That's got to be tough for the drivers to see. I don't get it.

Well...if YOU don't get it, what makes ya think I will? :lmao: I'm with you...makes sense the way 'we' think.... (must be a 'man' who decides the times....) Beautiful sunset tho :goodvibes

We hung around being stupid while we waited for the crowds to thin out.

Daytona73.jpg

Oh yeah....this looks like a happy couple who have indulged in many adult beverages :rolleyes1

This picture tells me, "If you only knew what Tricia was doing OFF camera!" :eek: :rolleyes1

:lmao:

Leta's lookin' good....did Mike EVER put HIS arm around her?? Body language speaks volumes...and this pic shows me "he's a jerk"....you can just SEE it :headache:

You & Leta look like you're having a great, drunken time :woohoo: ....Mike just looks 'annoyed' and like he wants to go home.... :confused3

We made it back home about 4:30pm, which meant we were able to spring Maggie Dog from the kennel before they closed. Everyone was very happy to see us. I heard from both of Brad's parents, my mom, Carol, AND Deb... all about how very exhausted they were. I told Brad later that I found it amusing that FIVE people were exhausted after 3 days of doing what I do all day every day.

It was a great trip... probably a once in a lifetime trip for us... and we had a fabulous time. Even though it was a very short getaway, it was a much needed break from our routine. We'll live off these memories for awhile.

Oh I'm so sure Maggie Dog was thrilled to be sprung from the joint early :thumbsup2 Prolly not much fun for her to be there....missing her 'playmates' and all.

In the parents defense, they are older than you and not accustomed to tending to 2 young boys...I can see they would be tuckered out :guilty: . But, the time together they shared will be a forever memory....and I'm sure that despite how tired they were, they were glad to be there. (Don't ask any of 'em to be around for a week :scared1: ) :rotfl2:

If that was a 'once in a lifetime' trip, then I'm glad you got to go. Daytona's anniversary is only ONCE...never have a chance to do it that way again. A 'short' getaway is always better than 'no' getaway...and now that your batteries are recharged, back to being the best Mom (well, to your boys anyhows...my son is a bit biased and happens to think I am the best Mom :confused3 :rolleyes1 )
AND....not only will you have your memories....you'll have your trippie for memories too :goodvibes

thanks for sharing your weekend with us..... :banana:

(still sad it's over....)

I did forget to mention about the drive through south Georgia. What is up with that stretch from Macon to the state line? There is one cluster of billboards that are all for "massage parlors". They don't say "spa" or anything like that, they say "massage parlors". The pictures on them are very suggestive. One of them even says that you can request "American, Asian, or Latino". Ummm... if they are selling what I think they are selling... how are they getting away with it? :confused:

Hmmm... :scratchin ...you can have your "pick" of American, Asian or Latino?? Yep....definately somethin' goin' on there :rolleyes1 HOW they get away with it, I don't know? :confused3 Is it legal there? (altho, can't imagine it would be :sad2: ) Got some "law" who are 'customers'???? Anything is possible....

I'm not looking forward to the questions that will come up on our next road trip with the boys now that Joshua can read. :eek:

Just tell him it IS a massage parlor....you get a massage and you relax....don't worry...you have time to come up with something! (either that, or have Brad drive really fast by them! ...and/or distractions when go thru that "area" )

I have to tell you what we did:
We (Dh and I) have been fans since the 80's as well,

....our "hotel" was a houseboat on the St. John's river, complete with alligators and everything! They told us - don't worry they can't get in the boat :scared1: - it turned out to be very cool though. We BBQ'd on our "deck" each night after the race and took the boat up the river each morning.

WOW...how very cool! :woohoo: Was it like being on a cruiseship where you didn't feel the boat rock, or, yeah, ya felt every wave?? Still, how often do you have a chance to stay on a houseboat??? :goodvibes

Disneysnel said:
Our plan was to rent a car and stop for 1 night @ WDW on the way from the airport. Well, I managed to get a GREAT rate on the car - online :yay: . We, went to pick it up - had to take a bus to get there - and were told "you need a UK driver's license for this car and if don't have one , we don't have a car for you." WHAT???:eek: After several calls, we wound up taking a cab to ASM at like midnight. My DH is stressing BIG time! We couldn't find a car anywhere! We spent the whole next morning trying.

Maybe it was a great rate cuz it was for UK residents? :confused3 That's a shame....and the whole time they were telling you they didn't have a car, they prolly had TONS of them in the parking garage/area :sad2:

Disneysnel said:
So, I got an idea let's rent a U-haul :lmao: - we got one! A big U-haul van that we drove all week!!! It was easy to spot in the parking lot!!

:eek: :eek: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: GENIUS IDEA!!!! :thumbsup2

Disneysnel said:
We still had a great time though!:goodvibes

A good time with a U-Haul memory you'll never forget! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your comments Bubba's Mom! The rocking wasn't too bad. It was the experience of a lifetime - for sure.:rotfl:

What a great trip that must have been! I've never been on a houseboat, but that must have been a fabulous way to spend your time there!

And the U-Haul? Brilliant. Simply brilliant. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

I'm sad your trippie is over....where's the pic of you in your t-shirt? Had flaunt some @r$e for that...remember :rolleyes1

The Boot Hill t-shirt? It's nothing impressive.

Oh yeah....this looks like a happy couple who have indulged in many adult beverages :rolleyes1

Many, many. I made Leta go with me to get another 4 rum & cokes and bucket o' beer. :drinking1

This picture tells me, "If you only knew what Tricia was doing OFF camera!" :eek: :rolleyes1

:lmao:

Who me? :confused3 ;) :rotfl:

Leta's lookin' good....did Mike EVER put HIS arm around her?? Body language speaks volumes...and this pic shows me "he's a jerk"....you can just SEE it :headache:

Yeah, this was not HIS deal, so he made sure everyone knew he was suffering. Whatever. :rolleyes:

You & Leta look like you're having a great, drunken time :woohoo: ....Mike just looks 'annoyed' and like he wants to go home.... :confused3

Leta & I did have a great time. Once she decided to get drunk and ignore the jerk, we had a good old time. ;)

And to think I almost passed this up because it wasn't a "Disney" story. It was great!!! And great pictures too!! And I am not a big car racing fan. I was really hoping you would post a Mike/Leta picture so I could see what this loser looks like. OMG, she is so pretty and could do so much better. I hope she reads this TR so she can hear it from others!!:sad2:

What a great trip that must have been! I've never been on a houseboat, but that must have been a fabulous way to spend your time there!

And the U-Haul? Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Yes, it was an experience and when you think "houseboat" it wasn't one of those big RV's that float - it was a little old thing, but it was clean and had everything we needed.;) It was fun!

Leta & I did have a great time. Once she decided to get drunk and ignore the jerk, we had a good old time. ;)

Please tell Leta that I said: Life is too short to waste time on the "weeds" when there are flowers everywhere - just waiting to be picked. :cutie:

And to think I almost passed this up because it wasn't a "Disney" story. It was great!!! And great pictures too!! And I am not a big car racing fan. I was really hoping you would post a Mike/Leta picture so I could see what this loser looks like. OMG, she is so pretty and could do so much better. I hope she reads this TR so she can hear it from others!!:sad2:

I'm glad you enjoyed the report! I'm part of a chat type thread on the US/IOA forum and we've started posting trip reports about our big adventures. We are the *mostly* overlooked group on the DIS. :laughing:

Leta could absolutely do so much better. She has looked me square in the eye and told me that she knows Mike is no good for her. I told Brad that once she said that to me, I felt like crying. Okay, it isn't that she is clueless... she KNOWS this guy is bad news. So, why? Why waste the time with him? It isn't like she hasn't ever been on her own. She was single when she bought her house. I don't get it. I just don't get it. :confused3

Yes, it was an experience and when you think "houseboat" it wasn't one of those big RV's that float - it was a little old thing, but it was clean and had everything we needed.;) It was fun!

Please tell Leta that I said: Life is too short to waste time on the "weeds" when there are flowers everywhere - just waiting to be picked. :cutie:

It sounds fun! Just the whole idea of a houseboat... whatever size or age... it just sounds fun!

And, oh, how I wish I had the magic words to convince Leta to kick Mike to the curb. If you could have heard that last voice mail she left me... it was frustrating and sad all at the same time. She called me while she was at a bar waiting to get a to go order of wings because Mike was too tired after walking back from the track to go anywhere. Helllooo? She is calling me to complain about what a jerk he is WHILE SHE IS GETTING HIM DINNER! He is lazing in the hotel room while she gets them food. :sad2:

Did I mention he is a control freak? Did I mention he is a jerk? :headache:

BTW the chat thread on the US/IOA board is called "Something About Nothing" and we are a fun and friendly bunch. Feel free to stop in and chat or whatever if you want. :goodvibes

Leta could absolutely do so much better. She has looked me square in the eye and told me that she knows Mike is no good for her. I told Brad that once she said that to me, I felt like crying. Okay, it isn't that she is clueless... she KNOWS this guy is bad news. So, why? Why waste the time with him? It isn't like she hasn't ever been on her own. She was single when she bought her house. I don't get it. I just don't get it. :confused3

I really don't know either :confused3 ..but some people believe that someone is better than no one :sad2:

When, in Leta's case, that is absolutely not true! She'd be better off with 'no one'.... He is looking for a "Mommy" type gal....she must need/want to feel 'needed'.... :confused3

:thumbsup2 finally ketched up...least you finished your TR:rolleyes1

tricia - all that drinking (yinz guys) & driving (the pros):rotfl: who knew?

great report...all i know about racing has come from the thread, mostly tricia!;) you make it seem great fun!

:thumbsup2 finally ketched up...least you finished your TR:rolleyes1

tricia - all that drinking (yinz guys) & driving (the pros):rotfl: who knew?

great report...all i know about racing has come from the thread, mostly tricia!;) you make it seem great fun!

It is great fun... for us. It's not for everyone. Nothing is. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it. Now get cracking on YOUR trip report Missy! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter