land excursions with small children?

Cindy72

Mouseketeer
This will be our first cruise. We're on the western cruise on Feb. 1st. My daughter will be less than 2 months shy of her 5th birthday, and my son will be 71/2. Can any veteran cruisers help us know what would be a good tour to take while in Mexico and Grand Cayman? Since we have never visited either of these place before we would like to see some of the sights. I'd appreciate any info. thanks.

We were on the Western cruise in Sept. with an almost 6 year old DS and 7 year old DD. We normally don't book tours through the ship, because it's a lot cheaper - and in many cases better - to do things on our own.

In Grand Cayman, when you get off the tenders, there are many locals standing around offering tours. We took one of these tours which took us to Hell, and the Turtle Farm (lots of fun for the kids - not only do they see lots of different turtles, but they also get to pick them up), and then we got dropped off at Seven Mile beach which is a beautiful beach. The cost was $15/adult and half price for kids. When we were done with the beach we caught a "bus" (which is just a van) back to town for $2.50/person.

In Cozumel we took a taxi for $10 each way to Chankanaab. Entrance fee is $10/adult, kids are free. The sea lion show is an additional $5/adult, kids are free. Chankanaab is a very nice park. They have snorkeling and also a little beach area which is great for young kids. They also have botanical gardens with trails. But for us, the highlight of Chankanaab was the sea lion show. It's a really fun show that the kids will love. Afterwards, you can buy pictures of your kids kissing a sea lion.

You didn't ask about Key West, but the aquarium at feeding time is a really fun place, and in the evening, the cat show outside the Hilton is a must see.

Thanks so much TXJASMINE, as we are traveling with a 14 mo old and a 6 yr. old, your tips are EXACTLY what I have been searching for!! Really appreciate it.

You're very welcome, ppiew! Let me know if you have any other questions and I can try to help. We've also been on the Eastern cruise, but I think the Western has a lot more kid-friendly activities in each of the ports.

TxJasmine,
You said you had also done the Eastern...What did your kids enjoy doing in St. Maarten? That's where we are having a tough time deciding. Our youngest daughter turns 7 the day we are there, so she wants the day to be "Special"!
Thanks for any ideas!
Sandy
:smooth:

Sandy,

St. Maarten is a tough one. We had trouble there too. We did take a taxi to the butterfly farm which was very nice. It's a small place, but they do have a nice variety of butterflies. Afterwards, we went to Orient beach. I thought it was a nice beach, but a lot of people really hate it. It is a clothing optional beach. DH and I lived in France for a few years, so we are familiar with this and it doesn't really bother us. We pretty much ignore it. Our kids were 4 and 6 at the time, but they also ignored the nudity since we didn't make a big deal out of it. The water was warm - the sand was nice, and the kids had a great time swimming and playing. I'm sure there are other great beaches on St. Maarten, but I'm unfamiliar with them. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do will be special for your daughter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter