Last minute trip thrown together, how does this sound...

scidawg

Earning My Ears
So we just booked Saturday for a trip Dec. 7-10. We have always wanted to see the parks at Christmas and this is our first chance and check out stuff that is new since our last trip, June 2013.
Staying at PO-FQ. Arriving mid afternoon Thu we plan to grab an early dinner at Raglan Rd., kick around Disney Springs just a bit, then head to the Poly beach to watch the fireworks and maybe pop over to GF to check out the decorations. By the time we made our reservation, all fastpasses were gone for both Pandora rides, 7DMT, and FEA on both our days. So we are trying this strategy

Friday morning be at AK for rope drop, hit the Pandora rides and whatever else we can do by about noon. Then head to the Studios, FPs at 1:10 for Star Tours, 2:15 Toy Story Mania and 3:20 for ToT, somewhere in there try to ride RnRC. Then we were thinking of going back to AK to see ROL and check out the nighttime look.

Saturday, rope drop at MK, head straight to 7DMT, hit our other favorites as we can until 12:30 or so and head to Epcot. Fastpasses there for Soarin' at 2:25 and throw away Fps for SE and Nemo at 1:05 and 3:45.

Thoughts? Ideas, are we nuts for trying to see all 4 parks in 2 days?

Only thing I’d say is move your throwaway FP at Epcot up before Soarin. That way you have at least a shot at a 4th that might be good. Otherwise it’s a decent plan.

There are several threads here about rope drop at AK for Pandora. I would get familiar with that beforehand. It’s a bit of a beast.

And definitely doable!!!! You will have a great time.

When I was there 2 weeks ago, they started FOP 30 minutes before official park open. So you may want to make sure you get to AK an hour before rope drop to make sure you get in line ASAP.

I don't think your plan is crazy as long as you're ready to constantly be moving. I think starting at AK, going to HS, and trying to get back to AK would be stressful. Maybe stick to just 2 parks a day? We always feel rushed trying to do 2 parks a day, let alone trying to go back to the first park.

Its a good point about feeing rushed back to AK. ROL shows early at 7:45 for the 2nd show. And you’d miss the DHS show which is better IMHO.

ROL is worth seeing if it doesn’t cause you to miss anything else. And I found Pandora to be much more stunning in daylight although I know you’ll have differing opinions on that. But we liked it quite a bit more during the day. You can just appreciate the detail so much better.

Its a good point about feeing rushed back to AK. ROL shows early at 7:45 for the 2nd show. And you’d miss the DHS show which is better IMHO.

ROL is worth seeing if it doesn’t cause you to miss anything else. And I found Pandora to be much more stunning in daylight although I know you’ll have differing opinions on that. But we liked it quite a bit more during the day. You can just appreciate the detail so much better.
We're going for the first time to see Pandora in March and the only reason we are seeing ROL is because we did the dining package with Tusker House. I think if you are already at HS you might as well stay there and enjoy their night time show.

We're going for the first time to see Pandora in March and the only reason we are seeing ROL is because we did the dining package with Tusker House. I think if you are already at HS you might as well stay there and enjoy their night time show.
Thanks for the input all. Good points, however we have seen Fantasmic many times and really would like to see ROL even though I know it's probably not as good.

For a "Christmas" trip, I'd definitely stay at HS for the evening. They have Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam and the Sunset Holiday thing on Sunset Blvd. AK doesn't have anything Christmassy in the evening. Save that for another trip.

As others have said, you're rope drop arrivals need to be about an hour before the actual opening. That puts you in good position for those popular rides. Get there much later, and you'll be waiting in long lines, minimizing what you can get done.

I'd also stay in Hollywood Studios on that day - much more Christmasy stuff over there. Also, the night time Pandora is basically just glow-in-the dark paint and black lights. I thought it was prettier in the daytime - you could see much more. With the Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam and the new Sunset Holiday - I think Studios will be better for your short trip.

I'd also stay in Hollywood Studios on that day - much more Christmasy stuff over there. Also, the night time Pandora is basically just glow-in-the dark paint and black lights. I thought it was prettier in the daytime - you could see much more. With the Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam and the new Sunset Holiday - I think Studios will be better for your short trip.
That's what I've been reading from other DISers, as well. I'll see it in March and hopefully will get to see it during the day and at night. We only have one AK day so we will see how much we can fit in.

The thing that jumped out at me is your arrival day plans. Watching the fireworks from Poly Beach. Holiday Wishes is scheduled for 10pm. Then head over to GF for holiday decorations. Even if you plan to cab it back to FQ that is a late night. Followed by an early morning to rope drop AK.
You didn't mention that make up/ages of your party, so it might not be an issue. It would be for me and my school aged kids.

You didn't mention that make up/ages of your party, so it might not be an issue. It would be for me and my school aged kids.
good point, 3 adults 62, 58 and our 22yo son, all early rising morning folks (well Mom sometimes drags a bit ;-) )

good point, 3 adults 62, 58 and our 22yo son, all early rising morning folks (well Mom sometimes drags a bit ;-) )
You should be okay then. I'm not a morning person at all unless I'm at Disney. We stay out until park close and leave early for RD. We just like to get as much park time as possible.

So we are just back. Thanks to those who recommended Jingle Bell Jingle Bam! We went back to Studios after a quick rest break and putting our stuff in the room and it was just what we were after. A festive evening to put us in the Christmas mood. Also enjoyed just sitting on a bench and watching Tower of Terror change. I have always loved the themeing at Studios and it looked even better with the Christmas decorations.

The thing that jumped out at me is your arrival day plans. Watching the fireworks from Poly Beach. Holiday Wishes is scheduled for 10pm. Then head over to GF for holiday decorations. Even if you plan to cab it back to FQ that is a late night. Followed by an early morning to rope drop AK.
We also ended up being able to get to Disney Springs earlier in the afternoon, (we made great time coming down) so were able to putz around Disney Springs before dinner, which allowed us to see the GF before the fireworks. Not quite as late a night as it would have been (would have been even better if we hadn't gotten all the way to the bus stop when we realized we had left our backpack at the fireworks viewing spot). Backtracked to retrieve it, only to find that the nice folks we watched the fireworks with had turned it in to the front desk, so that little detour cost us a few minutes). The danger of trading off carrying the backpack, you forget who is currently responsible ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter