Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never say never. Over here we experienced a tragedy and that broke the camels back - Dunblane. Now guns are rare as hens teeth.

We can hope. And maybe it will come, in 5-10 years as those Parkland kids start voting (and I know for some that is later this year) or become politicians themselves.
But for now at least I believe that if Sandyhook wasn’t the catalyst, nothing will be.
I had a glimmer of hope with the Parkland kids really standing up, and they did great, but it seems to have lost momentum (although being over here maybe it’s just out of ours news cycle)

So who is gonna pay for these puppies? Who is gonna spay them, feed them? Can't be done in my district.
Sorry, really quitting this thread now.:flower3:
You pay for your own puppy, just like you pay for your own gun.

I mean, we don't get guns for free, right? Maybe we do, and that's the problem.

I understand what you mean, and would love for it to happen, but I think the reason it hasn’t is that it isn’t practical in the same way as say a stadium. A stadium has so many people, that there is “back up security guards for any event even if it doesn’t happen where they are posted. At a school even if you have the same number of guards per person, I could see on the smaller scale how a shooter would just shoot those manning the metal detector and the guards

Sadly we passed enough long ago.

What keeps someone from doing the same at the thousands of places that have metal detectors? Why would it be more likely to happen at a school?

You have to have enough officers not just one at the metal detector but your saying even if they had a 1:1 ratio they could easily still get past them. How? I am not seeing how you come to that conclusion.

The kids doing these shooting aren’t sneaking in. They aren’t blasting their way in. They aren’t going in the windows or whatever other scenario. They are walking in the front door. Nothing is stopping them, nothing is slowing them down. Nothing is causing them to pause. Having something in place that may make them see that it isn’t that easy may stop them. But right now we aren’t even trying.

High schools are places of extremely high emotion and extremely high stress, and many of the people there desperately don't want to be.

I would say that anyone that decides to go in somewhere and start shooting people either is wanting to die themselves or has very similar mental issues that these students have.

I just don’t see how a high school kid with a gun is going to be any more likely to get past armed officers at a metal detector than anyone else at any other location.

Here is an account of a mother whose daughter called her from a closet to tell her she loved her. Two kids in the closet were killed.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lo...gh-School-my-daughter-phoned-I-m-12927909.php

Heartwrenching. Angering. And makes one feel so helpless.

Some how, some way, people from all sides of the debates that these events bring out need to come together and figure out the core reasons for these horrible tragedies and what can be done to stop them. There is so much that needs to be considered. So much that needs to be done to protect our children.

I do also agree that people have to just be nicer, kids are sensitive, like someone said the kid was turned down from a girl, maybe the girl was mean who knows. With this day and age of FB, etc., it's so easy to embarrass, humiliate, gang up, we see it happen here on these boards with adults, ganging up, putting laughing faces, etc. BUT, the reality is that although a complex issue, the USA has more guns and easier access to guns than anywhere in the world. Mental illness, just plain evilness, what our society deems is important, lack of human connection, home problems, all kinds of issues contribute. But those issues happen everywhere and they still don't have the shootings we have bc the bottom line is we have more guns and easier accessibility to guns.

Last edited:
I do also agree that people have to just be nicer, kids are sensitive, like someone said the kid was turned down from a girl, maybe the girl was mean who knows. With this day and age of FB, etc., it's so easy to embarrass, humiliate, gang up, we see it happen here on these boards with adults, ganging up, putting laughing faces, etc. BUT, the reality is that although a complex issue, the USA has more guns and easier access to guns than anywhere in the world. Mental illness, just plain evilness, what our society deems is important, lack of human connection, home problems, all kinds of issues contribute. But those issues happen everywhere and they still don't have the shootings we have bc the bottom line is we have more guns and easier accessibility to guns.

You may want to rethink this statement.

I don’t believe that one thing-the girl turning him down-caused this. It could have been the last thing or one small part of it.

But what makes a rejection so hard? Why would the same rejection that 90% of all high school students go through cause this? There had to be more. Something happened to this kid. Either a mental health issue suddenly presented itself (which can happen at his age) or something traumatic happened-more than a girl turning him down.

We didn’t just start owning guns. They aren’t a new thing. And yes I know there were a few school shooting upteen years ago but the number of them that happen now is new. What has changed? Guns have always been a part of our society. The whole “guns in every pick up truck window” isn’t just a meme on Facebook, that’s the way it was for years around here. Most of the trucks in the school parking lot had a gun in it for hunting. And not one of them were used to hurt another human being. What changed? Not the guns. Not gun ownership. So what is it?

I am a University student studying education and hope when complete my education I will become a Art teacher in a Secondary school. All these school shootings and disregard for really getting down to the main issue of all of this and that is kids are in fear of going to school and kids are being killed in schools is really disturbing to me. Now I will be teaching in Canada where this sort of thing hasn't occurred in near the frequency as it is in the United States, but those people need to seriously sit down and figure this out because children in fear of going to school and children losing there lives at school is just not right.

maybe the girl was mean who knows.
I teach my kids to be kind, but I'm also going to teach my daughter that she doesn't have to accept invitations from boys who ask her out. Especially boys like this:
The gunman who opened fire inside Santa Fe High School in Texas Friday morning allegedly repeated "another one bites the dust" during the carnage, one survivor said this morning.

"He was playing music, making jokes, had slogans and rhymes he kept saying," student Trenton Beazely said of the suspect on "Good Morning America." "Every time he’d kill someone he’d say, ‘another one bites the dust.’”
I mean...seriously. This kid would scare the crap out of me. And we want our kids to befriend him? This kind of thing goes beyond "be nice". It was the same situation with Parkland. Many many kids tried to befriend him and he was terrible to them, he scared adults, etc. We need to stop repeating "it's because of bullying. It's because kids aren't nice. It's because the schools have too many entrances." We have anti bullying programs. We have small group help for kids falling through the cracks. We have locked entrances, lock down drills, etc. This doesn't seem to be helping.

Last edited:
I teach my kids to be kind, but I'm also going to teach my daughter that she doesn't have to accept invitations from boys who ask her out. Especially boys like this: I mean...seriously. This kid would scare the crap out of me. And we want our kids to befriend him? This kind of thing goes beyond "be nice". It was the same situation with Parkland. Many many kids tried to befriend him and he was terrible to them, he scared adults, etc. We need to stop repeating "it's because of bullying. It's because kids aren't nice. It's because the schools have too many entrances." We have anti bullying programs. We have small group help for kids falling through the cracks. We have locked entrances, lock down drills, etc. This doesn't seem to be helping.

Most of the things I have read show people describing the Santa Fe shooter as a much different person than the one that showed up that day. Makes me wonder what happened. And if it was about her rejecting him, what made him so weak that he could not accept rejection?

I don’t believe that one thing-the girl turning him down-caused this. It could have been the last thing or one small part of it.

But what makes a rejection so hard? Why would the same rejection that 90% of all high school students go through cause this? There had to be more. Something happened to this kid. Either a mental health issue suddenly presented itself (which can happen at his age) or something traumatic happened-more than a girl turning him down.

We didn’t just start owning guns. They aren’t a new thing. And yes I know there were a few school shooting upteen years ago but the number of them that happen now is new. What has changed? Guns have always been a part of our society. The whole “guns in every pick up truck window” isn’t just a meme on Facebook, that’s the way it was for years around here. Most of the trucks in the school parking lot had a gun in it for hunting. And not one of them were used to hurt another human being. What changed? Not the guns. Not gun ownership. So what is it?
24 hour news, social media, and kids today wanting desperately to be revelant. How many likes on their Instagram post, how many watched their YouTube video.

I teach my kids to be kind, but I'm also going to teach my daughter that she doesn't have to accept invitations from boys who ask her out. Especially boys like this: I mean...seriously.

I always turned boys down as nice AS POSSIBLE and I would teach anyone to do that even disturbed kids. That has nothing whatsoever to do with having to accept invitations from boys that ask you out, of course you would teach your kids not to accept invitations from anyone that asks them out and be very selective, but some people get a kick out of being mean. Yes...seriously. Am making the point that it's easier to be mean nowadays with FB and social media, we see it here on this very board, gangs and people just thrive on it. People putting laughing faces to other's comments and then all of a sudden you'll see tons of people putting likes to it. It's become ok to say really bad things nowadays. I'm just glad I didn't grow up during that time. And I personally believe some people that commit horrible crimes are mentally ill, but many are just plain EVIL and enjoy dark things.

Last edited:
I would say that anyone that decides to go in somewhere and start shooting people either is wanting to die themselves or has very similar mental issues that these students have.

Absolutely!

I just don’t see how a high school kid with a gun is going to be any more likely to get past armed officers at a metal detector than anyone else at any other location.

Oh, I don't mean a high school kid is more likely to succeed in the face of similar security. I was just trying to guess why that's the environment in which people are "snapping".

While the whole "gun racks in the school parking lot" was not something I experienced, enough people seem to mention it that I do think it was the experience for some.
When reading your post and thinking about what has changed, I can't help but think of many of the threads we've had here after shootings. The big difference I see in the nostalgic type "gun racks in the parking lot" and posts about him ownership now is the reasons for owning and the mentality behind him ownership in general. On these types of thread it's very seldom about hunting and more about protection, someone or some group out to hurt you, distrust, being ready to fight tyranny, and things like that.
You have groups and businesses that make huge amounts of money by feeding into peoples fears and or anger. Whenever you have groups and businesses like that reaching millions of people, you are going to end up with a certain amount of people taking it too far and acting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter