Laundry following a cruise

wehavesix

DIS Veteran
We are going to be at OKW before and after a 4 night cruise in late May. We have a 2 bedroom reserved for our family of 9. When we come back from the cruise we will be bringing a lot of dirty laundry back with us. Of course there is the washer and dryer in the villa but I'd like to minimize the time we have to spend on laundry. I assume there is a laundry room at OKW with multiple washers/dryers. Would it be bad form for us to take up 3 or 4 of these at once to knock the laundry out as quickly as possible? Forgive my ignorance on the matter. We always get a 2 bedroom so have never had to use the laundry room at any of the DVC resorts. I don't want to be rude or break protocol! Oh! One more thing. Is there a charge for using the laundry room machines? Are they coin operated?

They are large front loaders.... you may not need that many. We have 5 giant hampers at home and fill each for one load. You'll be done with laundry in no time. Personally I'd leave one washer for if someone came in to do laundry. Then they'd reward me with a big :love1:

No change needed... room key for access if staying in a studio.

wehavesix said:
We are going to be at OKW before and after a 4 night cruise in late May. We have a 2 bedroom reserved for our family of 9. When we come back from the cruise we will be bringing a lot of dirty laundry back with us. Of course there is the washer and dryer in the villa but I'd like to minimize the time we have to spend on laundry. I assume there is a laundry room at OKW with multiple washers/dryers. Would it be bad form for us to take up 3 or 4 of these at once to knock the laundry out as quickly as possible? Forgive my ignorance on the matter. We always get a 2 bedroom so have never had to use the laundry room at any of the DVC resorts. I don't want to be rude or break protocol! Oh! One more thing. Is there a charge for using the laundry room machines? Are they coin operated?

We stayed in a 1 bedroom at OKW and we had a washer and dryer right in the unit. It was my favorite part of staying there! Wouldn't the 2 bedrooms have them as well??

The 2BR will have a large washer and dryer...we stayed there for Xmas (12/20-26) of 2011 and my inlaws all went on a DCL cruise the day we checked out (12/26). My MIL and FIL were in our 2BR and had to do all their laundry on Xmas day...my SIL and her DD and DH were in a studio and they also used our washer and dryer on Xmas day to do up all their laundry...about 5 loads in total and they were done. So, you should be OK using your W/D in your 2BR. Another thing you might consider, but it will cost you more points, is getting 2 1BRs for the after cruise part instead of 1 2BR. That way you will have 2 W/D to use.

There is no charge but I think they have the slides that make it look like there is. IIRC the community W/D generally have 2 commercial washers and 4 dryers and there is one set at each of the pools including the main pool. The Washers are top loading. Hopefully 3 full size washers total (1 in villa) will be enough for you to get through with one round. Unless there is someone who comes in behind you, I wouldn't simply leave a unit open just in case. I think SSR has larger banks of W/D if that matters, you could work on this and possibly pool hop if waiting on a unit.

buzzrelly said:
We stayed in a 1 bedroom at OKW and we had a washer and dryer right in the unit. It was my favorite part of staying there! Wouldn't the 2 bedrooms have them as well??

Yes, they do. But I don't want to spend hours catching up on laundry in that one washer and dryer. Not if I can go to the laundry room and do 3 loads at once and get it done in an hour and a half! We always stay in 2 bedroom units and normally do laundry daily to keep up. But after 4 nights on the ship we will have quite a bit of laundry to be done.

lodge said:
They are large front loaders.... you may not need that many. We have 5 giant hampers at home and fill each for one load. You'll be done with laundry in no time. Personally I'd leave one washer for if someone came in to do laundry. Then they'd reward me with a big :love1:

No change needed... room key for access if staying in a studio.

Thanks for the info. I won't take all the washers. Hopefully we won't need them all! I wonder if they are still free to those in a 2 bedroom? No matter. If there is a charge, it will be worth it to get the laundry caught up in a short time.

We just run the in room machines as we come and go during the day or early evening doesn't really take that long and you don't have to haul your laundry to the pool area where the machines are. You also won't be taking up machines that a studio guest might need. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

I don't recall seeing more than two washers in the OKW laundry rooms. Maybe four dryers, but only two washers (it's been a long time since we stayed in a studio at OKW). You'll have to go to the pool to use the washers, but there may also be other guests using them at the pool.

Personally, I think it would be a bit rude to take up the washers and dryers at the pool which are meant to be used by the guests staying in the studios as well as using the one in your villa. The one in the villa is full sized and not the stackable tiny units like in the rest of the DVC resorts.

disneynutz said:
We just run the in room machines as we come and go during the day or early evening doesn't really take that long and you don't have to haul your laundry to the pool area where the machines are. You also won't be taking up machines that a studio guest might need. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

That is what we do. No fuss, no stress.

You can also do laundry on the ship, I found that to be easy and efficient.

Thanks for the info. I won't take all the washers. Hopefully we won't need them all! I wonder if they are still free to those in a 2 bedroom? No matter. If there is a charge, it will be worth it to get the laundry caught up in a short time.

They will still be free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter