LAX or SNA (John Wayne Airport)?

Mama Bear Me2

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

In the past, we've always flown direct from Vancouver, BC to LAX. Wondering the following:

1) Should we consider flying from Vancouver, BC to SNA (John Wayne Airport) instead?
2) If yes, why? Cost savings?
3) Which airlines fly into SNA from Vancouver, BC?
4) We usually fly Westjet direct to LAX. Did a quick search and it looks like Air Canada flies into SNA but Westjet does not. Also, most of the Air Canada flights entail 1 stop. We want direct flights.

Any information you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

WestJet absolutely flies direct from Vancouver to John Wayne. That’s the way we have always done it (although we come from Victoria first)

Go to the WestJet site and enter the airport codes into the flight search instead of “Anaheim”. Search YVR to SNA and that will get you a better result. Note however, that WJ may have limited service during the fall and winter, so it may depend on your dates.

We love SNA. It’s closer to DL, and the airport is so easy to navigate. Flights are not generally as cheap as they are to LAX, but I am okay with that because of the convenience. Mind you, we only travel as a pair, if you are a larger family, the cost difference will add up.

@ Iozzypop
@ PDXmouse

Thanks for info. We're more than 2 people so 🙁 for the higher costs. Will check anyway when ready to book so who knows? Might get lucky with similar or lower prices? One can always hope! I googled mapped and I was drawn to how close SNA was to Disneyland. :flower1:

We love SNA! Long Beach is also a closer option that isn’t as chaotic as LAX (but still a good 45 minutes from Harbour blvd).

SNA was a quick 13 minute drive from rental car check out to our hotel on Harbour

Hi Everyone,

In the past, we've always flown direct from Vancouver, BC to LAX. Wondering the following:

1) Should we consider flying from Vancouver, BC to SNA (John Wayne Airport) instead?
2) If yes, why? Cost savings?
3) Which airlines fly into SNA from Vancouver, BC?
4) We usually fly Westjet direct to LAX. Did a quick search and it looks like Air Canada flies into SNA but Westjet does not. Also, most of the Air Canada flights entail 1 stop. We want direct flights.

Any information you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, 100% SNA is our first choice!

2. It is so much closer to DL than LAX, only a 20 mins or so cab ride. Smaller airport means quicker getting from the plane to outside and on the return trip, faster getting to your gate.

3. We have flown WestJet, Delta, Alaska. We are in Victoria so first we have to get off the island. Sometimes we fly via Seattle, others via Vancouver.

4. As someone else recommended, use the airport codes, search YVR to SNA instead of Vancouver to Anaheim.

I just a test search and here is what I found:

Westjet - multiple non-stop flights between YVR-SNA
Alaska - no non-stop, all of them have 1 stop
Delta - for the random October dates I put in, there was 1 non-stop flight there and 1 on the way back
Air Canada - same as Delta, 1 option each way non-stop

There are other airlines that fly to SNA, you can see them all here:

https://www.ocair.com/travelers/flights/airlines/

So, as I said, SNA is our #1 choice when going to Disneyland but for our trip in 3 weeks, we are going via LAX. Why? Because my sister is joining us this trip, flying from Ottawa. She won't fly that distance in economy so flying to LAX saved her $1300 and between the 3 of us flying from Victoria, we saved $800. So, with the savings being over $2000, we decided to fly via LAX and get a car and driver to do the round trip from the airport to DLH and back again. Even with getting a large SUV and adding on a stop at Target on the way, it still meant that between the 4 of us we saved over $1500 doing it this way.

So, moral of the story is: SNA is easier but will be more expensive. One of my favourite things I read once was this:

Some people spend time to save money, others spend money to save time. You need to figure out which is more important to you, save time or save money.

1. Yes, 100% SNA is our first choice!

2. It is so much closer to DL than LAX, only a 20 mins or so cab ride. Smaller airport means quicker getting from the plane to outside and on the return trip, faster getting to your gate.

3. We have flown WestJet, Delta, Alaska. We are in Victoria so first we have to get off the island. Sometimes we fly via Seattle, others via Vancouver.

4. As someone else recommended, use the airport codes, search YVR to SNA instead of Vancouver to Anaheim.

I just a test search and here is what I found:

Westjet - multiple non-stop flights between YVR-SNA
Alaska - no non-stop, all of them have 1 stop
Delta - for the random October dates I put in, there was 1 non-stop flight there and 1 on the way back
Air Canada - same as Delta, 1 option each way non-stop

There are other airlines that fly to SNA, you can see them all here:

https://www.ocair.com/travelers/flights/airlines/

So, as I said, SNA is our #1 choice when going to Disneyland but for our trip in 3 weeks, we are going via LAX. Why? Because my sister is joining us this trip, flying from Ottawa. She won't fly that distance in economy so flying to LAX saved her $1300 and between the 3 of us flying from Victoria, we saved $800. So, with the savings being over $2000, we decided to fly via LAX and get a car and driver to do the round trip from the airport to DLH and back again. Even with getting a large SUV and adding on a stop at Target on the way, it still meant that between the 4 of us we saved over $1500 doing it this way.

So, moral of the story is: SNA is easier but will be more expensive. One of my favourite things I read once was this:

Some people spend time to save money, others spend money to save time. You need to figure out which is more important to you, save time or save money.
Thanks for all this info and the advice re: other airlines that fly to SNA. Will use the airport codes to search flights as suggested. Wow! That's quite the savings! Love the quote at the end of your post!

WestJet temporarily stopped flights from YVR to SNA post Covid but have recently restarted that route. If the price isn't much different, I'll book SNA. USUALLY though, its significantly cheaper for our family of five to fly to LAX. Even with the higher cost of airport transfers.

WestJet temporarily stopped flights from YVR to SNA post Covid but have recently restarted that route. If the price isn't much different, I'll book SNA. USUALLY though, its significantly cheaper for our family of five to fly to LAX. Even with the higher cost of airport transfers.
Thanks!!

SNA! So close to DL, and as mentioned you avoid the terrible LA traffic. And there’s still construction at LAX.
I fly Alaska Airlines from YVR. You do change at Seattle. Everet Paine Field does have a direct flight.

SNA! So close to DL, and as mentioned you avoid the terrible LA traffic. And there’s still construction at LAX.
I fly Alaska Airlines from YVR. You do change at Seattle. Everet Paine Field does have a direct flight.
Thanks!

Do they have shuttle service from SNA to Disney? or Just rideshare apps?

I have family In Southern California so I have flown into LAX, SNA & ONT.

I don't know whether to tell you this story or not, but when I think about it always makes me laugh out loud.

Because of how it is situated SNA has a very quick takeoff and a steep descent. No big deal at all plus it has the most gorgeous fly -in ---- breathtaking.

But one trip the pilot thought she was doing something compassionate I guess, and she came on and said something like this ----

I just want to tell you that sometimes the descent into SNA can be surprising to some. And I know that there are those who do not enjoy flying, so I just want to let you know ahead of time.

Mistake, big mistake. Laughing. Sometimes there is something like too much compassion

On the descent, right after the announcement, this young teenager across the aisle let out the most horrific piercing scream I have ever heard in my life. It was crazy. 🤭

And I am not sure it would have happened if the pilot had said nothing.

And look! I have just become like the pilot! Laughing.

-----------

Have a wonderful holiday.

If money wasn't an issue it would be SNA all day everyday. I've done it 2 and a half times now and it is so much nicer imho. Of course it is way closer so the Uber takes like 20 to 30 minutes plus you can catch it right outside of the doors. LAX makes you go to an Uber lot now (only done it once since they changed.) Plus the Uber from LA costs 2 to 3 times more $$ so something else to consider. I just booked a last minute trip though and SNA was not an option. It was $350 more! It looks like they have cut back on the amount of flights going there which makes sense, my last 2 flights weren't full. The other thing I love about SNA is security takes like 15 minutes and it's a breeze. A lot less stress than at LAX but I have high anxiety so that might be a personal thing.

Also, in reply to above poster. Last time I was on the flight the pilot also mentioned the descent into SNA but it wasn't in a way that made ppl panic. The lady beside me lived in Orange County and said she flies numerous times a year and had never heard that announcement. And I hadn't noticed anything different from taking off or landing at that airport but I don't have high flight anxiety.

I avoid LAX as much as I can. SNA is definitely a more relaxing experience for a DL trip. If you have time, also look into ONT, LGB, and even Bob Hope.

Thanks everyone for the info! LOL 🤣 re: story about the compassionate pilot and the screaming teenager!
Well ... at bare minimum, I'm guessing the screaming probably briefly distracted those who were worried about the pilot's warning.

After reading all the raving reviews for SNA, I want to try them but it sounds like SNA tickets are usually higher than LAX tickets so not likely to be an option for our family 🙁 Wow! $350 more? When I originally posted this question, I did a quick comparison by entering some dummy dates and the SNA prices were sadly higher too.

EDITED: Wishing everyone a Happy Canada Day! For those travelling and visiting ... have a fantastic time and safe travels :love:

LGB is my first choice, SNA second, LAX only if I really have to. LAX is an inner circle of hell, and a real slap-in-the-face to those people who have always dreamed of coming to So Cal.

That and it's a lot further away from DL than the other 2. You can usually even get to DL faster flying into ONT (it's only 2 miles further but very few flights).

Hot tip; If you can get a flight into LGB, don't be afraid to sit in the back of the plane. They usually wheel a set of stairs up to the back of the plane and open both the front and back doors when you exit the plane.

If money wasn't an issue it would be SNA all day everyday. I've done it 2 and a half times now and it is so much nicer imho. Of course it is way closer so the Uber takes like 20 to 30 minutes plus you can catch it right outside of the doors. LAX makes you go to an Uber lot now (only done it once since they changed.) Plus the Uber from LA costs 2 to 3 times more $$ so something else to consider. I just booked a last minute trip though and SNA was not an option. It was $350 more! It looks like they have cut back on the amount of flights going there which makes sense, my last 2 flights weren't full. The other thing I love about SNA is security takes like 15 minutes and it's a breeze. A lot less stress than at LAX but I have high anxiety so that might be a personal thing.

Also, in reply to above poster. Last time I was on the flight the pilot also mentioned the descent into SNA but it wasn't in a way that made ppl panic. The lady beside me lived in Orange County and said she flies numerous times a year and had never heard that announcement. And I hadn't noticed anything different from taking off or landing at that airport but I don't have high flight anxiety.
This is true - the pilot announced it on my last flight in there too. It's because the planes have to reach a certain altitude and cut back the engines before the get over the ritzy homes in Newport. For a real E-ticket ride, fly out of SNA during a Santa Ana event (high gusty winds). The planes depart towards the mountains on those days, but the same rules apply.

Just as a point of interest, one of the the heirs to the In-n-Out Burger fortune died in a plane crash on decent to SNA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter