Learning how to run...

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
hi, I remember a few years ago there was a podcast or taping online that would talk you how to run. Meaning the taping would make you walk fast for a few minutes then jog lightly then pick up the pace then walk fast, etc.

Does anyone know about this and if so could you please post the link I really want to get myself ready to run!! Thanks

Look for a couch to 5k program - there are a few out there. Just google it. Also, if you have never run before you might want to look at a few videos on proper running form, and how to achieve that. Again, lots of stuff out there for free, including some videos.

Good luck!

I enjoyed the ease of use for Active.com's coach to 5k app. I have an iphone and would carry it on my walk/runs. It has a countdown for how many seconds to run or walk. If you have headphones on it will tell you "now walk" in your ear, etc.
It will not tell you the speed at which to run or walk though, so that would be up to how you are feeling during your workout.

I'm doing the c25k at the moment, I have the yellow apps from the app store. I like it because I can still listen to my music or audiobook and it just talks over it. I'm on week 6 and I've progressed well...I found the program was just what I needed.

C25K graduate here! :wave: it works!

Check out Jeff Galloway's website too - he has beginner training programs and a "conditioning" program that is great for newer runners.

I've only been a real runner for about a year, but during that time I've done copious amounts of research on running form and all that stuff. (My injury list for just one year is considerable, but I've worked through all of them, so far.)

Here's what I've learned:
1) Be patient, go slow... It takes a lot of time to develop distance and speed in this sport. (A LOT of time.)
2) Avoid chasing golden snitches and magic bullets... minimalist, maximalist, zero-drop, whatever... I wouldn't call these gimmicks, because many people have found benefits from these types of things, but don't get caught up in one just because you read a compelling book or article about it.
3) STRENGTH TRAINING! This could be number one. Apply the be patient, go slow philosophy to this as well, but do it. Find a running specific plan from a reputable source and work through it. Injuries are often the result of a weakness somewhere in your body, and contrary to what you may think, more running will typically make it worse.
4) If something hurts, address it IMMEDIATELY!

And enjoy the fresh air!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter