Leaving soon

I am glad you having a good time but I don't think I would like to go over the actual Christmas period, sounds way too busy.

I am glad you having a good time but I don't think I would like to go over the actual Christmas period, sounds way too busy.

you can say that again!!! it sounds downright nightmarish.....and i thought July was bad....of course, in July it's also surface-of-the-sun weather....so i guess that helps at xmas time....you're not sweating buckets....

and i guess everyone's in good spirits at xmas, so that probably makes up for the crowds.....

Hi Wayne

Enjoy your last day at MK!
My mum took my MIL out for 3 weeks before we got out, so they'd done all the parks. I took them both to St. Augustine for the day, and she came with us on a golf buggy one day and then up to Wekiwa Springs when we went kayaking, so not too bad really!

Now the kids are older - Jack is 17 in Jan and Becks just turned 22, we're having a couple of trips on our own... bliss! No worrying about keeping everyone happy all the time!
We're looking forward to exploring more and more of Florida.

Hope you have a decent flight home!

Tracy xx

Now the kids are older - Jack is 17 in Jan and Becks just turned 22, we're having a couple of trips on our own... bliss! No worrying about keeping everyone happy all the time!
We're looking forward to exploring more and more of Florida.
Tracy xx

thats exactly what we did last october- went on our own, as our kids are now 25,22 and 17, although my dd 17 hated every minute of me being in florida without her!!!
it was great just getting out the villa with not having to wait around for anyone and being able to do alot more without complaints that its boring!!we enjoyed making pancakes at de leon springsd etc.

Wayne, enjoy your last day in hot sunny florida!!:) wrap up warm for the landing and brace yourselves-its extremely cold and frosty here!:worried:

thats exactly what we did last october- went on our own, as our kids are now 25,22 and 17, although my dd 17 hated every minute of me being in florida without her!!!
it was great just getting out the villa with not having to wait around for anyone and being able to do alot more without complaints that its boring!!

DH and I have been twice now on our own - DS is now 20 - and have another trip planned for Easter. Like you say, it's great not having to wait around for anyone!

To be honest I would miss my lads not coming with me, they are 18 and 20 and are very easy going. They don't complain so I must be lucky in that aspect.:) They are coming with us again in July.

I can understand about not having to wait about though, we have had to wait for the eldest a lot but he has got a lot better over the last year or two. I don't think I could go away to Orlando without them till they said they didn't want to come with us as I would feel way too guilty for not sharing the holiday with them and then would be spending half my time taking orders for the Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch shops from them.:rotfl:

Our son, Jack would like to come with us next year, but has been elected Junior Captain at the golf club, so feels he has responsibilities as Captain etc in all his school holidays, as that's when he plays all his golf.
He's also got a big year next year, with driving lessons, golf and 6th form, which he knows he has to knuckle down to. :surfweb:
I also think he appreciates that me and DH could do with a break (or 2) on our own!!

We have already got a further trip planned for the end of his A levels in June 2010... so he's more than happy about that!

Trying not to feel too guilty!

Tracy xx

you can say that again!!! it sounds downright nightmarish.....and i thought July was bad....of course, in July it's also surface-of-the-sun weather....so i guess that helps at xmas time....you're not sweating buckets....

and i guess everyone's in good spirits at xmas, so that probably makes up for the crowds.....

If you get to parks at rope drop and use fastpasses well then its not as bad as it sounds but a novice would find it a nightmare.
As for the Xmas spirit, yes a lot are in good spirits but as I have posted in the past there is a massive influx of people from South America at Xmas, more so than rest of year. Also this time a lot of french speaking people. Majority of these people have no idea what lines are for, they are ignorant and agressive, they arrive at parade start time and send kids to front then rest of family try to join them.
This is our 5th Xmas here, this has been best weather of them all but worst crowd levels, totally did not expect it being quite so busy with all the money worries. No plans to return at Xmas for a few years now.

To be honest I would miss my lads not coming with me, they are 18 and 20 and are very easy going. They don't complain so I must be lucky in that aspect.:) They are coming with us again in July.

I can understand about not having to wait about though, we have had to wait for the eldest a lot but he has got a lot better over the last year or two. I don't think I could go away to Orlando without them till they said they didn't want to come with us as I would feel way too guilty for not sharing the holiday with them and then would be spending half my time taking orders for the Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch shops from them.:rotfl:

Don't get me wrong, we do miss him a lot. He doesn't complain and really appreciates everything we do for him. Especially all the washing he brings back from uni! And the decent food he gets while at home. It was entirely his decision to stop coming on holiday with us.

It's just a different sort of holiday now that it's just the two of us. :)

Don't get me wrong, we do miss him a lot. He doesn't complain and really appreciates everything we do for him. Especially all the washing he brings back from uni! And the decent food he gets while at home. It was entirely his decision to stop coming on holiday with us.

It's just a different sort of holiday now that it's just the two of us. :)

I didn't think for a minute you wouldn't miss him because that is the most natural thing to do.:goodvibes I could quite happily go over to Orlando with just the hubbie but only if the lads said they didn't want to come with us, I would just find it hard if they wanted to come and we said they couldn't then I would feel guilty.

If you get to parks at rope drop and use fastpasses well then its not as bad as it sounds but a novice would find it a nightmare.
As for the Xmas spirit, yes a lot are in good spirits but as I have posted in the past there is a massive influx of people from South America at Xmas, more so than rest of year. Also this time a lot of french speaking people. Majority of these people have no idea what lines are for, they are ignorant and agressive, they arrive at parade start time and send kids to front then rest of family try to join them.
This is our 5th Xmas here, this has been best weather of them all but worst crowd levels, totally did not expect it being quite so busy with all the money worries. No plans to return at Xmas for a few years now.

arrggggggggggghh....don't get me started about that parade thing....
it's happened to us so many times, we've totally given up trying to get a 'good spot' for parades......why do people think they're so special they should be able to be in the front when they show up at the last minute that way............i'll say it again arrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhh.....

since it irritates me so much, the only way i can deal with it is by avoiding those sorts of situations as much as possible - which sometimes means not seeing the parade (or show or whatever)....sounds sad, but it works ok...at least i don't get frustrated...

as for people not knowing what lines are for....oh yes.....in July, when we often go, there is a huge influx of south americans.....whenever we stand in line at WDW, if there is a place where people can get around us, the 4 of us stand four abreast, almost locking arms, to preclude anyone from going around us....we always laugh as we're doing it, but we are serious about it....no one is getting around us.....i just get soooooooooooo irritated by line jumpers...why do they think they have the right to do that?

DD and i were at WDW in september last year and the year before, and the lack of crowds, lines and pushing was totally heavenly....
if we could always manage that time of year we would....

but when we're stuck going at crowded times of the year, we use strategies to keep our irritation down - like completely foregoing attractions that are just too crowded for our nerves...and of course, getting to the parks before opening and leaving by noon before the really big crowds arrive....

but given your description, i don't think i'd be up to going at xmas/new years....it would probably be too much for me....
even though i LOVE shopping in the states before xmas....i'm one of those people who loves going to the malls when they're PACKED with xmas shoppers....of course, my experience with that is in the midwest (michigan), where people are very very very friendly, and VERY good about waiting in line for the cash register, no matter how long it might be....not quite what you're descibing about WDW at xmas...

anyway, have a safe trip home Wayne!!!

I think the money situation may be responsible in some ways. We arrived on 13th and it was honestly the quietest we have ever seen up until around Xmas Eve. Then it was like everyone arrived 'en masse' and was horrendous. I think many people decided to just do a cheaper short break over the main Xmas week instead of a longer vacation. Traffic on the 192 and I4 and surrounding roads on 23rd/24th were ridiculous :scared1:

It was our 3rd Xmas trip and while busy, the other trips were nothing like this one. Like Wayne it'll be a long time before we consider another Xmas trip :sad2:

Sat at MCO waiting for flight home now.
Tried DTD checkin this morning at 10:30am, line was about 1 hour long(going on past experience) went to Disney store for DMIL to pick up last gift for someone, went back to try checkin again at 11:30am, line even longer so didn't bother as we had checked in online. Got to airport and to bagdrop, no-one waiting, its so easy compared to DTD for us.
Its been a great trip but crowds have been just stupid and too many ignorant people, especially after our Oct trip when it was so quiet. Been great having so many days 80+ degs.

Its been a great trip but crowds have been just stupid and too many ignorant people, especially after our Oct trip when it was so quiet. Been great having so many days 80+ degs.

We just got back yesterday...after having spent 5 days at the Grand Floridian and 2 weeks at the house we rented in Indian Creek..I agree with you..the weather has been great and I was wondering about the crowds ( specially the traffic I saw everywhere )...I thought I was the only one who thought that there were too many people...of course it is Xmas season. The crowd at Premium Outlet was horrendous.:scared1: ..there were tons of tourists...We did some shopping but left after a while.

May you have a safe trip ...!!

I hope you have had a safe journey home Wayne. I think with Downtown Disney you have to get there for opening times or just after as we never have had a problem with it at these times. We were there at 9 ish in December and only had one family in front of us, wait time was minimal.

I have enjoyed hearing about your days and am glad you have mentioned the crowds because you have firmly cemented the notion not ever to go over at Christmas time for me.

I read a trip report from last year and the line for Epcot was 6 HOURS on NYE when that family was there. I thought 4 hours 40 minutes was bad enough.

I have enjoyed hearing about your days and am glad you have mentioned the crowds because you have firmly cemented the notion not ever to go over at Christmas time for me.

I agree, i would love to see the decorations and christmas lights etc but those crowds are not for me !

I hope you have had a safe journey home Wayne. I think with Downtown Disney you have to get there for opening times or just after as we never have had a problem with it at these times. We were there at 9 ish in December and only had one family in front of us, wait time was minimal.

Back home now:sad1:
Virgin flights have been very good for a change, no problems with anything, landed 30 mins early this morning, after so many delays and poor seats/IFE/food in the past year it was nice to get good flights and service again.
We have tried DTD at opening in the past and been there about 1 hour, sometimes you fall lucky other times you don't. As I have said before I think the main problem is we always return on the Saturday morning before school starts Monday, it has to be the busiest days for DTD checkin.
Xmas is a fantastic time to visit but you need lots of patience, allow double time to do things, accept lines will be long, go for opening, use fastpasses, eat lunch early.
Having DMIL with us made things twice as hard, its like having a young child, no idea where she was or what she was doing, when its just us 3 having spent about 52 weeks in Florida we all know what each other is thinking and doing.

I know DS looks older than he is but didn't realize how old he looked, going out from Manchester he was searched without our permission, by the time we got our bags from Xray they had started frisking him. security apologized, said he looked 18. Coming home he was asked if he wanted wine with his meal. Still only 14 but almost 6'2" he must look 18 now.

I will try sort some photos in next few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter