"Lending" points to a family member

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
DS just asked me if a DVC owner could ever "lend" a family member their points. "Like, if I ever got married, could I ask to borrow points from you to go to WDW for my honeymoon?" BTW, to the best of my knowledge he doesn't even have a girl friend-don't know why he thought of this! Anyways, I told him I thought we could lend points out to a family member. Is this true? How does it work? Seems like it might make a nice gift.

I would imagine that it would be a lot like renting points. You call and make the reservation in the name of the person you are "lending" or "gifting" the points to. You then present him/her with the reservation form. They would just show that at the front desk upon arrival.

We have used our points with family members in this manner.

HBC

Actually, the idea of renting came out of the ability to let friends and family use points. You are always free to make reservations for others to use your points.....then it's up to you whether to charge them for the use or make it a "gift". I don't think you can "lend" your points to someone unless they plan to somehow "return" them when they are done. ;)

Actually, that is how I became a DVC member-my brother made a ressie for me as a gift. we loved it so much we joined!

My brother and I have actually "loaned" each other points. Last year he had no points left and could not borrow from next use year (divorced and did not sell back pts., gets every other year), so I made ressies in his name. This year I needed a few extra points for a ressie for my in-laws, he made that for me.
It worked out well for both of us, although the point exchange was not exact. That was not an issue for us.

Originally posted by Simba's Mom
DS just asked me if a DVC owner could ever "lend" a family member their points. "Like, if I ever got married, could I ask to borrow points from you to go to WDW for my honeymoon?" BTW, to the best of my knowledge he doesn't even have a girl friend-don't know why he thought of this! Anyways, I told him I thought we could lend points out to a family member. Is this true? How does it work? Seems like it might make a nice gift.
You definitely could do that, but the question is would you want to. My guess is the other person is really talking about you giving him use of those points as a freebie because "it doesn't really cost you much". If you want to give him points, go for it, I'v done it several times. Just try to do it in such a way as to not cause a problem later and make it clear what the present and future rules are. Also you may want to be sure it's not a drinking trip with his buddies because you would have some liability with damage to the room.

My niece got married last September and as a wedding gift we gave her 5 nights at WLV. They had never even stayed onsite before. We just made the ressie and then we sent a list of items to stock the kitchenette for them. They were amazed. Ofcourse now they want to return with us this summer!

I am "lending" my 2 boys enough points for both of then and 3 friends to stay in a 2 bedroom at OKW during college spring break.

5 boys in a room during spring break?!!! MrsDon you might want to read the earlier post about liability:earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter