Let The Planning Begin... A Large Family Trip May 2019

Great budget!
I think anyone can order off the kid's menu, but I may need to be corrected on that (I planned on trying it myself)

We also are skipping any ADRs because we don't like to be locked in to a specific time with having littles...we will eat some QS places when we get hungry right before the main rush, or around 7ish. Honestly, we would much rather grab and go because there is so much to see and do.

Your splurge sounds so fun! And GREAT tip to prepay for food and snacks on the gift cards. I think we will give that a try too.

We did the HEA dessert party last trip and loved it! Great choice for a splurge. It's really nice to not have to stress about finding a fireworks spot.

Hi there! My family is having a trip similar to yours in 2021. there will be 14 of us and we are staying off site and looking at windsor hills and a few others. My question is, what are you doing for transportation? That is the one thing I am stressed about. It would be well into the thousands to rent enough cars for us and I don't see there being any other option. Mable I'm missing something that others know about!

It’s getting exciting. We are so much closer to our trip now. I think we are at 92 days until we leave for WDW. I feel like once we round Christmas, it will be here before we know it.

Where to stay: I am, at times, frustrating to those who love me because I have a hard time committing. I always wonder if there is something better we should get instead of what I am currently looking at. Knowing this, I looked for about 3 weeks every day at a place to stay. I would panic that we would not find anything but I just could not commit. I searched Windsor Hills, Westside at Windsor (W at W), Storey Lake, Davenport and even WBC. I looked on VRBO and thought I found one in W at W. I looked up the reviews of the management company and it was 1 star so I took a hard pass. Then I switched from W at W to Storey Lake. Part of the issue in our party of 9 is that we have 3 girls ages 9-10 so we want them to share the room. They are all great sisters / cousins and don’t want to be the odd one on their own. Most of the homes only had 2 twin bed set ups for kids. Finally found a home on Air BNB in Windsor Hills with a full and twin bunk. Long story short, I finally booked a place. Whew… it was a relief! Let's just say my husband and SIL were also relieved I finally pulled the trigger lol.

Total Cost for 5 bedrooms / 5 bath home at Windsor Hills for 8 days / 7 nights: $1,556. Divide by 2 and my family’s cost is $788.

We decided not to do the pool heat as we will be at the parks 6 of those days and we plan on using the club house pool and slides.

ADR’s: So... I cancelled Tusker House. Since my kids were adamant they did not want to see Mickey, I didn’t want to waste the money. I figured we could always line up in the parks if they decided to see any of the Fab 5. I spoke with my husband and we made a few more changes. We are pretty locked in on these ADR’s:

Sunday, March 17 @ 8:20 or Thursday, March 21 @ 8:30 BOG – we have 2 reservations and will keep one as my SIL also has 2 for Crystal Palace as we are trying to get earlier similar times for either day. Her Monday CP ADR isn’t until 9:30 – hoping we can move that up so I can keep the 8:20. I have the TP ADR finder working on this :)

Monday, March 18 – Via Napoli at 6:45 (We are super excited to try the pizza)

I only have 2 booked. I know some families heavy on and love eating TS but my kids would rather ride rides. Plus my kids would have to eat at adult prices. It just didn’t work belly wise and financially to eat more TS restaurants.

We are planning on QS the other meals. I have Casey’s Corner, Columbia House, Contempo Café, Su’tuli and Back Lot Express pegged on our list. We will also be eating quite a few breakfasts and lunches in the house. I am actually looking forward to taking the monorail to Contempo Café. Our plan is to then monorail on over to the Poly for drinks at Trader Sam's or on the patio.

The Splurge: While this is not a “budget” trip, we also have a budget. When we moved our trip up to March, it cut vacation funding by about 10 weeks. At the same time, I want this to be a memorable and fun trip for my kiddos. So what did I splurge on? The HEA Dessert Party! I had a hard time with spending $345 for cupcakes and a spot to watch HEA fireworks. I tried to rationalize the cost but you just can’t. So splurge it is. In the end, my husband and I thought it would be fun for the kids and a great way to kick off our trip.

Splurge tip: I bought Disney gift cards through Target's Redcard so we saved 5% or $17 on our dessert party. I am planning on prepaying our food and snacks on a gift card as well.

Tally To Date for Trip (out of pocket so far):

WDW Tickets for 5 adults: $2,020

Lodging: $788

Air Fare: $57.50 (used points / taxes and fees)

Dessert Party: $328

Total: $3,139.50

Hi...we are going in 15 days..yikes. So much still to do.. we are staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek...we got 2- 2 bedrooms for 999.00 each...my oldest DS is staying at the Beach Club...there are 11 of us...we used points for the room and air ..so that was covered...and we have been buying Disney gift cards for 9 months...and everyone got them for Christmas..so all our food will be covered as well...
BJ’s had a sale 8% off...we got 2000. For 1840.00. Not a huge saving. But better than nothing. Good luck with the planning

Hi there! My family is having a trip similar to yours in 2021. there will be 14 of us and we are staying off site and looking at windsor hills and a few others. My question is, what are you doing for transportation? That is the one thing I am stressed about. It would be well into the thousands to rent enough cars for us and I don't see there being any other option. Mable I'm missing something that others know about!

We are renting a 15 person van from Alamo. I am a member so I got a 5% discount. The total cost comes in just under $800 for the entire trip. I'll keep checking and seeing if it gets cheaper but so far the price has gone up. I booked it back in November.

We thought about getting another small car but decided against it. We are going to the same parks the same days so no need to pay for parking twice. We may also use Uber if someone wants to stay longer and the others want to go back home.

Hi...we are going in 15 days..yikes. So much still to do.. we are staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek...we got 2- 2 bedrooms for 999.00 each...my oldest DS is staying at the Beach Club...there are 11 of us...we used points for the room and air ..so that was covered...and we have been buying Disney gift cards for 9 months...and everyone got them for Christmas..so all our food will be covered as well...
BJ’s had a sale 8% off...we got 2000. For 1840.00. Not a huge saving. But better than nothing. Good luck with the planning

What is BJ's? Is it like a Sam's or Costco? I will take any savings :) We are buying our through Target Red Card so we at least get 5% off.

We did the HEA dessert party last trip and loved it! Great choice for a splurge. It's really nice to not have to stress about finding a fireworks spot.

Any suggestions on where to sit in the roped off area? I've read some posts about a back railing but not sure what that means.

Yes. It’s like Costco. That were running an 8% off spi. So I ordered quite a few. Everyone going on the trip got them for Christmas
I usually get a target. But a little more savings

I will let you know about the Wyndham ..getting excited. Great reviews...and so close.

We are planning on using Uber or Lyft...this way everyone can come and go as they please...If one kid has to nap...the rest of us can stay

Prepping for Disney

Now that Disney is 55 days away, I have been busy buying Disney gear aka Disney family shirts. My husband approved the ones he would wear and I worked around that. While he is not crazy about Disney, he is crazy about our family. I have a couple more to buy for our Lion King day at AK.

This is a budgeted expense and I didn’t want to spend too much as this will be our last trip to Disney for years. At the same time, I want it to be magical for the kids.

Some shirts I got off Etsy and the others I got from Ross. My Minnie shirts were $4.99 each! I coordinated the Minnie ears. My two girls and my niece will love it
1016C221-96BF-40B7-A85F-3F0AE0043DC9.jpeg D663845E-3D98-422E-9F7A-E0111763E05E.png

Next up is our family snack shirts. The girls and I are matching, A is a mix between ours and Dads. Nick wanted #dadlife
9472B5EB-8774-41D3-BBB5-381C2DCC513F.jpeg 75D268B0-F899-455F-A29A-63959335CD8B.jpeg 2A7E75CA-2B2A-4F04-84FD-8256F9D5F24D.jpeg

Finally, I got the girls princess cotton dresses to wear on our first MK day. They picked their own princess and I had their names put on it. I got them matching ears as well. I’m doing Ariel so those are mine
B4EFBB23-2333-4ACA-9CA1-CB23C4D839FC.jpeg CC921788-CD0B-4192-94E7-2067E4D832D6.jpeg 792A93F6-675E-4C40-AC09-6D71843FED95.jpeg

I added our clothes to my spreadsheet to help me keep track and not over buy anything in my excitement. We have every day covered. Just need to buy the remaining items.

If anyone wants the Etsy shop for where I bought my items, please PM me.

I hope your planning, FP’s and trips are going great.

I just about can’t stand it! In 17 days, we will be in Disney World. This has been our dream for about the last 2 years. We have been saving for a little over a year. I have researching, reading and watching vlogs for soooo long. It’s exciting to know we will soon be there with our kids. Our kids are ready to be there so they can ride Space Mountain and eat snacks!

Fast Pass day came and went. My SIL and I are thrilled as we got every FP we wanted and the times as well! We got up on FP day which thankfully was a Sunday and not a workday at 5:45 am. We were both plugged in via the app and online. We divided and conquered. I started with our SDD for Day 1 and Day 4. After that I moved to FOP for Day 7 and then 7DMT for Day 6. After that, we filled in the blanks. We are very happy with our FP’s. Even if we do not ride any other rides, we are hitting the ones we really want to do.

Here is the breakdown of my FP’s:

Saturday, March 16 (arriving to HS around 4:00)

Star Tours: 3:35 – 4:35

RnR: 4:35 – 5:35

SDD: 5:45 – 6:45

Sunday, March 17 (Magic Kingdom)

Big Thunder: 9:25 – 10:25

Peter Pan: 10:25 – 11:25

Space Mountain: 11:25 – 12:25

Monday, March 18 (EPCOT)

Test Track: 9:15 – 10:15

Nemo: 10:20 – 11:20

SE: 11:25 – 12:25

Tuesday, March 19 (HS)

SDD: 9:45 – 10:45

RNR: 10:55 – 11:55

ToT: 12:00 – 1:00

Wednesday, March 21 (Rest Day)

Thursday, March 21 (Magic Kingdom)

SDD: 9:25 – 10:25

Space Mountain: 10:25 – 11:25

Jungle Cruise: 11:25 – 12:25

Friday, March 22 (Animal Kingdom)

Kilimanjaro Safari: 9:20 – 10:20

Everest: 10:25 – 11:25

FOP: 11:25 – 12:25

Plan Savings:
I bought the Disney gift cards from Sam’s that will cover our food, snacks and the kids spending. I got $1475 worth for $1,402. Our savings are basically paying for one meal :)

I won big on our van rental. I had booked a 15-person van back in November 2018 for $802 total (included taxes and fees but no insurance). I called the first part of February to see if we could prepay for a discount since the rental was now going for $972. The rep at Alamo worked some magic and got the total down to $637. So, we now have the van for less than $100/day. I’ll save money any way I can.

Left to Do:
I have all our Disney family shirts orders or shipped to us. The last few things for us to do is buy the incidentals like shampoo, sun block and moleskin. I am getting some ponchos. I went to the Dollar Tree and got things for the kids to do on the plane ride. I think I will start packing about 1 week out. I don’t want to do it too early but also not procrastinate and throw things in the night before.

I hope everything is coming together for your trips. Happy planning everyone!

I'll be in Disney some of the same days as you! 3/14-3/19

Sounds like some great plans! I'm surprised at how well you fared for the FPs! You were able to get SDD and FOP at 30 days out? I didn't think that ever happened!

We booked a throwaway room. It was an even wash with the magic bands and the free parking for 2 days. Not everyone likes the practice so I didn't advertise it. We thought it was worth the expense to get the 60 day FP's.

We are glad we did it though. We got some of our must have FP's.

We booked a throwaway room. It was an even wash with the magic bands and the free parking for 2 days. Not everyone likes the practice so I didn't advertise it. We thought it was worth the expense to get the 60 day FP's.

We are glad we did it though. We got some of our must have FP's.

No judgement from me! I was only curious because I have a friend who is looking to do an offsite stay and I was hoping I could give him some good news about fp! Haha

I'm glad you were able to do this before they changed the new split stay rules!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter