Let's Complain About the 2017 Visa Perks

Jess_S

DIS Veteran
Goodbye $50 credit. Hello, stuff I won't actually use. https://disneyrewards.com/disney-cruise-line/ (Plus, at 10 to 20 percent off, you now have to spend $250-$500 to get $50).

As a plus, I think you can get these perks just by using your Visa to pay onboard expenses -- so this is a win for anyone who likes to pay their fare with a different card.

(As you can see, I'm grumpy about this change. But those who like it shouldn't feel excluded from posting).

Goodbye $50 credit. Hello, stuff I won't actually use. https://disneyrewards.com/disney-cruise-line/ (Plus, at 10 to 20 percent off, you now have to spend $250-$500 to get $50).

As a plus, I think you can get these perks just by using your Visa to pay onboard expenses -- so this is a win for anyone who likes to pay their fare with a different card.

(As you can see, I'm grumpy about this change. But those who like it shouldn't feel excluded from posting).

UGH -- next year's cruise would have been the first I qualify because I'm not transferring a ressie. So I'm confused -- you still get the OBC if you use your Disney Visa for your onboard account? And does this affect the rewards you have earned to use onboard?

Well, let's see.....
10% off "select" Disney Cruise Line Digital photo packages. That's on the 10, 15, & 20 photo package as well as a full priced (not pre-cruise purchased) all digital package. Since I only buy MAYBE one or two photos that's not going to be used.

10% off select merchandise on purchases of $50 or more. Well, I don't think I buy that much onboard anymore, so that one's a no-go, also.

10% off the Castaway Cay Getaway Package. Well, we did rent snorkel equipment on one of our last 6 cruises. But, not the whole package. I'm seeing a pattern here.

20% of select onboard massages or facial treatments. On non-discounted treatments. Well, since I've never even been in the spa not to mention using the facility, that's not worth the paper it's printed on.

So, I guess they're saving money by offering these "amazing" perks to me. But it makes them look like a good deal, I suppose.

You get the $50 onboard credit for all cruises that depart before the end of 2016. There is no onboard credit at all for 2017 sailings. Instead, you get a percentage off certain things.

I don't see anything about a change to the rewards we earn by spending.

UGH -- next year's cruise would have been the first I qualify because I'm not transferring a ressie. So I'm confused -- you still get the OBC if you use your Disney Visa for your onboard account? And does this affect the rewards you have earned to use onboard?
No, if you use your VISA for your onboard account after Jan 1 2017, you'll only get the new perks. For cruises prior to Jan 1, 2017 you still only get the VISA perk of $50 OBC if you use the VISA for the full purchase price of the cruise.

You get the $50 onboard credit for all cruises that depart before the end of 2016. There is no onboard credit at all for 2017 sailings. Instead, you get a percentage off certain things.

I don't see anything about a change to the rewards we earn by spending.

Figures!

Did y'all see the list of exclusions for the 10% merchandise discount? HAHAHAHAHA! I am wondering exactly what it is applicable to! What a joke!

3. Merchandise Savings onboard Disney Cruise Line
10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more
. Discount is not valid on previous purchases or on purchases of Port Adventures (Excursions), photos and photo packages, trunk shows, fine jewelry and timepieces, Disney Gift Cards, tobacco, alcohol, Add-a-Dollar (Wildlife Conservation Fund), postage stamps, original or consignment art, select limited editions, select specialty items, purchase-with-purchase offers, newspapers/periodicals, videos, DVDs, CDs, sundries, kitchen production/prepared foods, digital/video/disposable cameras, film, consumer electronics, National branded fragrances, treatments and cosmetics, select collectibles, handmade items, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Pirate League packages, themed experiences (e.g., Royal Court, Royal Tea), shipping or taxes, or on phone, email, online or mail order purchases, or at merchandise locations located at Disney Castaway Cay. In order to receive special Disney Cruise Line perks, beginning 1/1/17, Disney Visa Card must be used to pay for onboard purchases for sailings through 12/31/17. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts and is for personal use only. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. Ships’ Registry: The Bahamas. Chase is not responsible or liable for fulfillment of this offer.

Did y'all see the list of exclusions for the 10% merchandise discount? HAHAHAHAHA! I am wondering exactly what it is applicable to! What a joke!

3. Merchandise Savings onboard Disney Cruise Line
10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more
. Discount is not valid on previous purchases or on purchases of Port Adventures (Excursions), photos and photo packages, trunk shows, fine jewelry and timepieces, Disney Gift Cards, tobacco, alcohol, Add-a-Dollar (Wildlife Conservation Fund), postage stamps, original or consignment art, select limited editions, select specialty items, purchase-with-purchase offers, newspapers/periodicals, videos, DVDs, CDs, sundries, kitchen production/prepared foods, digital/video/disposable cameras, film, consumer electronics, National branded fragrances, treatments and cosmetics, select collectibles, handmade items, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Pirate League packages, themed experiences (e.g., Royal Court, Royal Tea), shipping or taxes, or on phone, email, online or mail order purchases, or at merchandise locations located at Disney Castaway Cay. In order to receive special Disney Cruise Line perks, beginning 1/1/17, Disney Visa Card must be used to pay for onboard purchases for sailings through 12/31/17. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts and is for personal use only. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. Ships’ Registry: The Bahamas. Chase is not responsible or liable for fulfillment of this offer.

Maybe they should instead list what you can use it on...I'm thinking that list might be shorter!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I notice it says to use your Disney Visa Card "for all onboard purchases" and "cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts." I'm curious if that means any OBC will negate the offer as well? I guess we'll find out in January. I agree it does not seem to be an offer we wouldn't use anyway.

Last edited:
Well, let's see.....
10% off "select" Disney Cruise Line Digital photo packages. That's on the 10, 15, & 20 photo package as well as a full priced (not pre-cruise purchased) all digital package. Since I only buy MAYBE one or two photos that's not going to be used.

10% off select merchandise on purchases of $50 or more. Well, I don't think I buy that much onboard anymore, so that one's a no-go, also.

10% off the Castaway Cay Getaway Package. Well, we did rent snorkel equipment on one of our last 6 cruises. But, not the whole package. I'm seeing a pattern here.

20% of select onboard massages or facial treatments. On non-discounted treatments. Well, since I've never even been in the spa not to mention using the facility, that's not worth the paper it's printed on.

So, I guess they're saving money by offering these "amazing" perks to me. But it makes them look like a good deal, I suppose.
No they're trying to get people to spend more money by giving them a discount. I never do any of that stuff , and the discount doesnt entice me to start.

Need to read that "bringing on alcohol" policy as I was planning on using that $50 drink credit! Thanks for sharing info!

Last edited:
Need to read that "bringing on alcohol" policy as I was planning on using that $50 drink credit! Thanks for sharing info!
The alcohol policy is each guest 21 and over is allowed to bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml max) OR 6 beers (12 oz max). This allotment is allowed on embarkation and at each port of call.

The alcohol policy is each guest 21 and over is allowed to bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml max) OR 6 beers (12 oz max). This allotment is allowed on embarkation and at each port of call.

Awesome!! So I'll buy 6 bottles in my pre-cruise time in Miami! I'll carry two, my dad will carry two, and my mom (who doesn't drink) will carry two. That should take care of me and my dad for dinners! :)

I may be in the minority, I kinda like the new ones. I never got the $50 because you can't stack with obb credit. I doubt I'll get more than $50 worth though because we don't buy much onboard. Maybe we'll get $15 off photos, maybe $10 off spa, maybe $3 off cc getaway pkg, maybe $5 off merchandise. Beyond the $200 we got when we opened it, we probably would do better with a different card with higher rewards. But $33 is better than $0.

Awesome!! So I'll buy 6 bottles in my pre-cruise time in Miami! I'll carry two, my dad will carry two, and my mom (who doesn't drink) will carry two. That should take care of me and my dad for dinners! :)
Just a warning, they still have the $25/bottle corkage fee if you decide to drink the wine in the MDR's. Drinking it in your rooms will cost nothing extra though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter