• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let's make a "Firsts-Timers" Master Tip Sheet!

I'm new to this thread, I'm glad I found it. Thanks for all the tips and ideas everyone. :) Looking forward for some tips. :rotfl:

Have a nice day to all of you. :)

For the parent whos 14 yr son wants towear only jeans.Try and see if you can buy jeans that have a zipper on the knee that he can tak the zipper off and have shorts.I would also pack 2 pairs of shorts just in case he changes his mind and realizes he is to hot

This is vacation with the family soooo.... I am a big macho dude myself, but get a fanny pack or waist pack for every family member over 7 yoa!!!

Seriously guys, it is a big help. You can carry tix, maps, SNACKS, hand cleaner, band aids, poncho, and other assorted stuff and don't have to lug a backpack or shoulder bag.

I resisted when DW suggested it, but I was soooo glad I carried it. AND you can wear a long t-shirt o cover it up so no photos of it make it back to your work at home!!!

This is vacation with the family soooo.... I am a big macho dude myself, but get a fanny pack or waist pack for every family member over 7 yoa!!!

Seriously guys, it is a big help. You can carry tix, maps, SNACKS, hand cleaner, band aids, poncho, and other assorted stuff and don't have to lug a backpack or shoulder bag.

I resisted when DW suggested it, but I was soooo glad I carried it. AND you can wear a long t-shirt o cover it up so no photos of it make it back to your work at home!!!

This man couldn't be more right, buuuuut. If your one of those people who just can't do the fanny pack (which I totally understand) for what ever reason, (for me I'm pooh sized, I don't need anything else around the middle) there's also some great messenger bags (crocs has a good one, at least one my DS16 really likes) and slings back packs that aren't to huge or girly. If your wife ends up getting a messenger (the baggallini, don-overland, and travelmates seem to be very popular) then you might want to ask them to at least get one in a gender neutral color so when you have to carry it for a while you won't feel silly. Just my .02 worth.
I've read a lot of the "What Bag Would You Carry Into The Parks" Thread and have posted there many times to know I should share this bit of info. with you dudes. :cool2: :upsidedow

I'm going to try to go without any kind of bag that has to be checked by security (esp. on rope drop days -- DHS for SWW, and MK). Wearing cargo shorts for poncho and putting small versions of other things in pockets, hanging umbrella from a belt. I'm going to take a "string" backpack that when empty folds up small enough to go in a pocket, so if I accumulate stuff I can use that. Thank goodness for small high MP digital cameras that fit in a pocket. Trying out the QSDP to resist hauling along snacks (and even lunch -- have been known to do that in the past). I like using a waist pack and have one that will fit in a pocket when it's empty, if I have room I may do that and then switch to it after getting through the gate.

I have a 3 year old, so I use a stroller in the parks. I like to pack my stuff in those XL Ziploc bags.. the ones that you use for storage, with the handles on them. When I get to security, I just pull that out. They don't ever have to open the bag and search through it, cause they can see it all through the clear bag. It saves a few precious minutes and the security guards LOVE it too. A few have even thanked me!

I have a 3 year old, so I use a stroller in the parks. I like to pack my stuff in those XL Ziploc bags.. the ones that you use for storage, with the handles on them. When I get to security, I just pull that out. They don't ever have to open the bag and search through it, cause they can see it all through the clear bag. It saves a few precious minutes and the security guards LOVE it too. A few have even thanked me!

Good to hear that it helps in security. I bought a clear tote bag for this purpose then bought Penny a pair of those plastic roller skates that came in a great satchel like clear vinyl bag with a shoulder strap. I'll be using one of those bags for parks hoping to get through the security lines faster.

my DH and I dont have kids. Lat year he bought me a huge mickey balloon on our last day - I didnt fancy my chances of fitting it up my jumper to try and smuggle it on to the plane :( SO as we were leaving the park we decided to give the balloon to the first child we seen that didnt already have one and wasnt acting like a brat (!!!!!) We chose a little girl who was sitting with what appeared to be her mum & gran, the look on their faces when we walked up and gave them the balloon was fantastic - and it was a great way for us to share a bit of disney magic. both of us got pleasure out of the balloon and poor mickey didnt get abandoned in our hotel room & pinned by a maid on the day we left :rotfl2:

thank you for sharing this - i really like this story and people now a days do not think of others! we have a child but I might have to do this and have my son give his away........teach his a good lesson!

I'm in the process of planning our first trip and have just read through 21 pages of tips and loved every minute of it!!! Thank you so much for all the trip tips! I have a list of things to pick up before leaving for our trip in a few short months!!!

Thanks to everyone posting their tips!!! We're going in November for our first family vacation and these will all help a lot!

Go left. Really. Everyone tends to follow people to the right. You will notice this as you go to go through the gates. Lines seem to be shorter on the left side.

Also...if you are entering AK and there is a long line you can walk through the Rainforest Cafe and enter the gates that way. A lot of people don't seem to know about this entrance.

Ziploc bags in varying sizes. They weigh almost nothing and when empty, don't take up room in your suitcase. So many uses for them: keeping stuff organized in your backpack/suitcase, keeping things dry . . . but the most unusual way we used them was the last time we stayed at POR. Our room had those little tiny sugar ants (common in Florida, I used to live there!), and we had to ziploc our food to keep them out.

Clothespins. You can use them to close your curtains when there's a gap, hold snack bags shut, hang up a wet swimsuit on a hanger, etc. Lots of uses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter