Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, "New Consruct" in a sense but like a condo...The older Longhouses WERE reconstructed...from the walls--> in...

But no Longhouses were torn down & rebuilt as far as I saw.
New construction has a trade meaning of something other than you are describing ….

The difference though is that BRV had common elements like the pool as part of its association. One pool is owned by BRV and one by the hotel. So that agreement with CCV had to be done for that reason.

All the pools etc, at Poly are owned by the hotel and not PVB so the only agreement that Poly Tower would need to make to use the facilities is with the hotel.

PVB owners simply have a right to use the amenities and their agreement is with the hotel for access.
This also lends itself to a new association, poly themed, and using the poly‘s infrastructure and management

Maybe 'gutted' needs a bit of an explanation. The orig Longhouses were constructed as the Contemp was...The frame was built onsite & then METAL rooms-pre-contructed-were delivered to the site & then slid into the frames.

Parks blog is so annoying. They get so much history wrong.

The Polynesian was built differently than Contemporary. Yes, the hotel rooms were constructed off site. However, they actually just stacked the Poly's rooms on top of each other (kind of like shipping containers) and built the frame around them. The roof, hallways and exteriors were built around the rooms, which is what caused the mold problem. There were gaps everywhere.

This was U.S. Steel's idea. Disney didn't plan on owning these resorts until Roy changed his mind during development. Everything was behind schedule and time was of the essence.

https://allears.net/wdw-chronicles-the-ever-changing-polynesian/
https://www.mouseplanet.com/9984/Th...he_World_Roy_O_Disney_and_the_Florida_Project

However, the DVC buildings were actually built more traditionally. As they came later on. So they didn't have the same problems as the original longhouses.

Last edited:
Tree house were repurposed and added to existing HOA….
Actually, the Treehouses were new construction. When it was constructed, the treehouses that existed before were torn down and new, pre-fab units were built off-site and hauled into place. To me, this is most similar to what is going on at FW...

Actually, the Treehouses were new construction. When it was constructed, the treehouses that existed before were torn down and new, pre-fab units were built off-site and hauled into place. To me, this is most similar to what is going on at FW...
i Was told the same thing about the poly,

I get that, I just thought it was an excuse to show cool pictures of how they did it :) It still is so crazy remembering how they just dropped them in by crane...
Well glad I could be of help….
actually the same guilds that told me the poly was new construction sent me picture similar to the ones you posted

Gut job to the studs for the three DVC buildings. However, they kept the doors, door frames, elevators and I'm not 100% on the sliding door but it never looked new to me (except if you happened to get an ADA room). Exterior was refurbished and roof was replaced.

Tokelau - 1978
Moorea - 1985
Pago Pago - 1985

With DVC, came the gut of the lobby waterfall, an expanded Captain Cook's, the loss of the Arcade, Trader Sam's and outdoor area were built, the destruction of the back waterfall, garden and bridge to build the artificial turf common area and Pineapple Lani, the new splash area and modifications to pool to give a better view at Ohana's of the castle, a complete refurbishment of the quiet pool and bar area and of course the view-blocking bungalows.

Original plans called for the destruction of Pago Pago to build Tower 1 and the lazy river pool area.

Source: DVC News
https://dvcnews.com/resorts/polynesian/news/2956-polynesian-construction-update-may-2015

I'm not sure there's a resort on property that has been more changed than the Polynesian.

Attachments

• Poly_20140515a.JPG
    Poly_20140515a.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Poly_20140912a1.jpg
    Poly_20140912a1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 17
Or they could desire to call the building the Seven Seas Tower at Disney’s Polynesian resort, a DVC resort…..

And make it the longest Dvc name ever
It has to have a cute 3 letter abbreviation… BLT BWV BCV BRV CCV OKW RIV VDH VGF VGC PVB

7SV or 7ST or V7S or V7T or will it go to 4? 7SVT, VSST, SSTV…

Voted 60 new / 40 current, but I'm more 51 new / 49 current.

I think if it weren't for restrictions, we wouldn't even be considering a new association as they're going to be clear of the 40yr deadline.

But restrictions are obviously a significant factor and are the sole reason why I think a new association is more likely than not.

But ultimately I think it'll generate more revenue to sell a combined resort that is something like:
  • ~42yrs remaining
  • ~8mil combined points, ~4mil new
  • 20 Bungalows
  • 360 Deluxe Studios with split baths in the longhouses
  • 50 - 100 Deluxe/Resort Studios with just a walk-in shower in the tower
  • 50 - 100 1-Bedrooms
  • 50 - 100 2-Bedrooms
  • 10 - 30 Duo Studios
  • 0 - 6 Grand Villas
  • (bonus: it would be possible and reasonable to have all full size studios in the Tower be 2-bed Resort Studios, which would allow for pretty great 2BR Lock-offs that have the same bed arrangement as a dedicated 2-Bedrooms, removing a lot of the need for dedicated 2BR)

vs. a standalone association (while also explaining to prospective buyers that they won't get access to existing Poly rooms at 11m):
  • ~51yrs remaining
  • ~4mil points
  • 50 - 100 Deluxe/Resort Studios with just a walk-in shower
  • 50 - 100 1-Bedrooms
  • 50 - 100 2-Bedrooms
  • 10 - 30 Duo Studios
  • 0 - 6 Grand Villas
  • (still possible to have 2-bed Resort Studios be part of a great 2BR Lock-off, but I'd be surprised if they deviated much from Deluxe Studios in a new association plan)

Voted 60 new / 40 current, but I'm more 51 new / 49 current.

I think if it weren't for restrictions, we wouldn't even be considering a new association as they're going to be clear of the 40yr deadline.

But restrictions are obviously a significant factor and are the sole reason why I think a new association is more likely than not.

But ultimately I think it'll generate more revenue to sell a combined resort that is something like:
  • ~42yrs remaining
  • ~8mil combined points, ~4mil new
  • 20 Bungalows
  • 360 Deluxe Studios with split baths in the longhouses
  • 50 - 100 Deluxe/Resort Studios with just a walk-in shower in the tower
  • 50 - 100 1-Bedrooms
  • 50 - 100 2-Bedrooms
  • 10 - 30 Duo Studios
  • 0 - 6 Grand Villas
  • (bonus: it would be possible and reasonable to have all full size studios in the Tower be 2-bed Resort Studios, which would allow for pretty great 2BR Lock-offs that have the same bed arrangement as a dedicated 2-Bedrooms, removing a lot of the need for dedicated 2BR)

vs. a standalone association (while also explaining to prospective buyers that they won't get access to existing Poly rooms at 11m):
  • ~51yrs remaining
  • ~4mil points
  • 50 - 100 Deluxe/Resort Studios with just a walk-in shower
  • 50 - 100 1-Bedrooms
  • 50 - 100 2-Bedrooms
  • 10 - 30 Duo Studios
  • 0 - 6 Grand Villas
  • (still possible to have 2-bed Resort Studios be part of a great 2BR Lock-off, but I'd be surprised if they deviated much from Deluxe Studios in a new association plan)
Personally, I don’t think I’ll be buying if it is the same association…
I think there are a lot of poly 1 owners looking for 1 and 2 bedrooms now that there family has grown, and for me the
I would be buying for a 2 bc or GV for 9 days around thanksgiving every year.
risk is not worth it with such a small resort…

BLT is hard enough to book with 5.7 million points ….
adding 4 million studio only points to a small poly tower just seems like a head ache i don't need …

am i the only one that thinks that way ?

I think there are a lot of poly 1 owners looking for 1 and 2 bedrooms now that there family has grown, and for me the

adding 4 million studio only points to a small poly tower just seems like a head ache i don't need …

We're also existing Poly owners who want bigger Poly rooms.

Coincidentally, I also probably won't buy if it's same association, but for very different reasons.

I think the combined resort could have pretty good room ratios for modern demands considering how popular Studios are--a lot of new buyers these days are buying for Studios. I don't feel like I'd be blocked out of getting a 1BR+ when I wanted considering every OG Poly buyer bought for Studios (some have outgrown or preferences have shifted) and a likely majority of new buyers would also buy for Studios. Would it be a Studio-heavy resort? Yes, it would have roughly the same ratios as VGF, but many OG VGF buyers bought for bigger villas and so far things are looking bookable for bigger villas there.

I'm less likely than not to buy same association Poly2 because I already have all the points I need for a Poly 1BR+ for when we want to visit Poly the most. So I'd buy BCV to cover more nights of our NYE trips (and shift nights out of Poly) and maybe cheap SAP for CCV Cabin stays. I think I'm an edge case, though.

Coincidentally, I also probably won't buy if it's same association, but for very different reasons.

I think the combined resort could have pretty good room ratios for modern demands considering how popular Studios are--a lot of new buyers these days are buying for Studios. I don't feel like I'd be blocked out of getting a 1BR+ when I wanted considering every OG Poly buyer bought for Studios (some have outgrown or preferences have shifted) and a likely majority of new buyers would also buy for Studios. Would it be a Studio-heavy resort? Yes, it would have roughly the same ratios as VGF, but many OG VGF buyers bought for bigger villas and so far things are looking bookable for bigger villas there.

I'm less likely than not to buy same association Poly2 because I already have all the points I need for a Poly 1BR+ for when we want to visit Poly the most. So I'd buy BCV to cover more nights of our NYE trips (and shift nights out of Poly) and maybe cheap SAP for CCV Cabin stays. I think I'm an edge case, though.

I thought when I looked most of the 2 brs. were lock offs, so i would be competing withe the og poly and the new poly studio seekers…..

if i‘m going to do that …. 2 large resale ( I know right, yikes) contracts at BLT would get me what I want…
and my wife can get her poly fix when I’m not there…

not going to say I would be shocked, but I think it would be dumb to attach the new building to the old association …

but that’s me

I am not sure we can say for sure that the OG Poly buyer bought for studios because when it was selling, it was the primary active resort so people didn’t have a choice,

The fact that PVB studios tend to be availBe still at 7 months mostly year round, leads one to believe that many are not booking it and instead trading out.

I know some don’t think it’s going to be a problem if it’s rolled into PVB, and maybe once fully declared that will be true…but during the initial stages. I think we might see some difficulties…why we don’t even consider buying unless it’s new.

I have a similar mentality. Not really wanting to fight with the studio and bungalow points when I'm buying for 1/2BRs. I'm sure a lot of people originally bought in for studios but like you said I bet there's a lot of pent up demand for larger accommodations. I think I'll still end up buying, but I may consider a smaller amount of resale although still a fair amount because I do like the Polynesian and want it to be our MK home resort regardless of what happens. But it really de-incentivizes me from buying direct and at that point I'd take the money I had originally saved for a large direct PVB contract and buy a smaller amount of resale PVB and then buy a small amount of CFW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter