Lilo & Stitch Video Sequel & TV Series

disneycub

King of Hugs & Smoochies!
From Equity Alert:

Walt Disney Pictures' Critically Acclaimed Motion Picture 'Lilo & Stitch' Inspires Video Sequel, Television Series Walt Disney Television Animation, Disney Channel, and Buena Vista Home Entertainment Join Forces to Extend Film Franchise

BURBANK, Calif., Jul 11, 2002 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- On the heels of surpassing $100 million at the box office in its first three weekends, Walt Disney Pictures' critically acclaimed hit "Lilo & Stitch" is moving to the small screen in a big way, as a video sequel and a television series continues the franchise, it was announced today (7/11) by Thomas Schumacher, president of Walt Disney Animation, and Anne Sweeney, President, ABC Cable Networks Group and Disney Channel Worldwide.
The video sequel, currently entitled "Stitch! -- The Movie," is slated for release in 2003 and will serve as a bridge between the feature film and the television series, currently under development with the working title of "Stitch! -- The TV Series."

Commenting on the announcement, Schumacher said, "The characters and themes in 'Lilo & Stitch' have strongly connected with audiences -- and that includes our own creative people at the Studio. Writer-directors Chris Sanders' and Dean DeBlois' creation has inspired everyone, and we're thrilled to pick up where the motion picture leaves off with these exciting, funny, and heartwarming extensions."

Sweeney, who oversees possible broadcast outlets for the series including Disney Channel, Toon Disney, ABC Family, and ABC Television's Saturday morning children's programming, added, "We welcome Stitch to join a strong Disney Channel family of programs, where the 'Lilo & Stitch' franchise will continue to build upon its popularity in the more than 80 million households we reach. We're excited to be bringing these characters to television."

"Stitch! -- the TV Series" will become a global television franchise following its anticipated launch on Disney Channel in Fall 2003 when it rolls out on Disney Channels and Disney-branded TV programs throughout the world. There are currently 15 international Disney Channels and nearly 100 Disney- branded blocks of programming in 51 countries reaching 600 million television viewers worldwide.

In the video premiere, Stitch -- formerly known as Dr. Jumba Jookiba's "Experiment 626" -- is now living on Earth with Lilo and Nani, aided by their friend, David, and the social worker Cobra Bubbles, as well as fellow aliens Jumba and Pleakley. In a series of unfortunate accidents, Jumba's other 625 experiments land on Hawaii and, one by one, are activated.

Following the video premiere, the television series finds Lilo and Stitch searching for these experiments and helping to turn their nature from bad to good, finding places where each can belong and contribute to the community.

Tony Craig and Roberts Gannaway, the team that brought Mickey Mouse back to television in "Disney's Mickey MouseWorks" and "Disney's House of Mouse," are the directors of "Stitch! - The Movie." Gannaway, Craig, and Jess Winfield ("Disney's Teacher's Pet," "Disney/Pixar's Buzz Lightyear of Star Command") are executive producers, and the script is written by Winfield and Gannaway.

"Stitch! -- The TV Series" will premiere on Disney Channel following the release of "Stitch! -- The Movie." Gannaway, Craig, and Winfield are executive producers of the series. The initial 39 episodes will be directed by Vic Cook ("Disney's The Legend of Tarzan," "101 Dalmatians, the Series") and Don MacKinnon ("Disney's Teacher's Pet," "Disney/Pixar's Buzz Lightyear of Star Command").

Virtually the entire core cast from the film returns for the video premiere and the television series, including Daveigh Chase (Lilo), Chris Sanders (Stitch), Tia Carrere (Nani), David Ogden Stiers (Jumba), Ving Rhames (Cobra Bubbles), Kevin McDonald (Pleakley), Kevin Michael Richardson (Captain Gantu), and Zoe Caldwell (Grand Councilwoman).

In its opening weekend, "Lilo & Stitch" collected more than $35.2 million at the box office, representing the second-highest debut ever for a traditionally animated feature film, after Disney's 1994 smash, "The Lion King" ($40.9 million). Through its first 17 days of release, "Lilo & Stitch" has grossed $103 million at the box office.

Combining unforgettable characters, an imaginative and offbeat story, and colorful artistry, Walt Disney Pictures' delightful new animated comedy, "Lilo & Stitch," tells a captivating tale of a young girl's close encounter with the galaxy's most mischievous extraterrestrial. Lilo is a lonely Hawaiian girl who adopts a small ugly 'dog,' whom she names Stitch. Stitch would be the perfect pet if he weren't in reality a genetic experiment who has escaped from an alien planet and crash-landed on Earth. Through her love, faith and unwavering belief in 'ohana (the Hawaiian concept of family), Lilo helps unlock Stitch's heart and gives him the one thing he was never designed to have -- the ability to care for someone else. With its lush tropical setting, unique sense of humor, and classic songs by Elvis Presley, "Lilo & Stitch" promises to capture imaginations everywhere.

Walt Disney Television Animation is an industry leader in the creation of network, cable, and syndicated television series and specials, video premieres, and theatrical releases.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc., a recognized industry leader, is the marketing, sales, and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, and Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Dimension, and Buena Vista videocassettes and DVDs.

Disney Channel, combining original series and movies with timeless classics, is the first full-time general entertainment television network designed for kids and families. Available in over 80 million homes, Disney Channel is a division of ABC Cable Networks Group, a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.

For further information please contact: Heidi Trotta, Senior Vice President, Publicity, The Walt Disney Studios, +1-818-560-7280; or Eric Hollreiser, Senior Vice President, Media Relations, ABC Cable Networks Group, +1-818-569-7574

Well that didn't take long. How long does Disney usually wait before announcing a usually inferior straight to video part 2 as well as a television series? Just curious.

Pan

They sure don't waste any time. Would this be the quickest movie to sequel to tv announcement for a Disney animated feature? Show me the money.

Actually, I believe they announced the Atlantis tv series before the movie ever hit theatres.

-WFH

The Atlantis TV show was canned around 4 days after the movie premiere.

Don't you think they could have created a more "origional" title for the TV and DTV Movie?

Plus, I would much rather see more about how the family fares after the Galatic Federation oversee's them. Say, something like Stitch might be taken away because of some law or something.

And people wonder why the two that created ‘Lilo and Stitch’ have left Disney.

I’m sorry – “Disney! – The Company”.

P.S. – Wouldn’t a better title have been ‘Touched by a Stitch’?

How about "A Stitch in Time -- Saves Nani"

Can't take credit for that one... punch line to someone else's joke ;).

AV ... Somebody ... Anybody ...

Will the suits in Burbank not get it through their thick skulls that the DTV track detracts from the original product?! How can we convince them?

I personally am on strike for any and all DTV products (ever since Little Mermaid II) - I won't even rent 'em! :mad: And I (like most of us) am a die hard Disney fan, what about those who were lukewarm to begin with?

Sarangel

Here's another article about the L&S TV show. The most interesting thing it mentions is that the launch will be on The Disney Channel as opposed to ABC or any of the other TV properties the company owns. Finally, somebody at the company realized that they could use the Disney Channel to distribute their content...

Who knew?

Sarangel

Oh good, another show on the Disney Channel that will help further bury Bear in the Big Blue House. :(

Why, whenever Disney hits on something that works, do they immediately feel the need to overdo it? This reminded me in so many ways of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

I think it just goes to their lack of creativity. Once they get a hit they have too milk it as much as possible because they are apparently lacking in ideas and have little else they can run with.

With the present entertainment atmosphere, I can understand how sequels are sometimes worth it.

The problem that I have with Disney is two(+)fold. The first, and primary problem I have is Disney taking the movies which I regard as animation classics (Dumbo, Bambi, Cinderella, Peter Pan, ...) and making sequels. These movies had been around for quite a long time and had always been enjoyed when watched and all of them ended with a "Happily ever after" type of story. Why does Disney always have to go back and continue on the story. If it was "Happily ever after" then let is stay that way.

The other problem that I have with these sequels is the quality. I find that these made for TV sequels are a blight on the movie screen and a TV screen as well. If they are going to make a sequel, then have feature animation work on it to do it properly. When the original movies were released, they were works of art. When the sequels were released, they were works for money.

Pan

They are supposed to leave it like that so we can think up new things, but now with a world where TV and Video games are baby sitters, we need to be told what happens latter in a DTV sequel.

PS Sarangel, I am also on a DTV strike. Anybody else want to go on strike?

I think I'd be on a DTV strike too, if I didn't have a 6yr old...His tv is eternally set at 135...(as we lovingly call The Disney Channel)

How can they possibly make something of the quality of the movie without the originators? And why does Disney always cheapen what was so wonderful to begin with (Like the stupid park characters)??

I'm beginning to see why all the angst on the rumors board...I never really "got" it before...except maybe the "Ei$ner" thing, I despise that man. :(

A major entertainment company with a low stock value wants to bring in more revenue and maybe help the company by expanding on a successful movie? I can't believe it! Also, how dare they put the series on The Disney Channel! Nothing should be done to boost the viewership for a cable channel competing against many others for viewers - Nick, Cartoon Network, etc.

I agree with all of you - Any successful animated movie should be locked away in the vault and never used again. Maybe they shouldn't even be released on DVD/video at all. Heck, just don't screen them at all anywhere. They are such classics that no one should be allowed to see them ever. Protect these artistic achievements at all costs.

Disney should not be focused on money! The focus should be on protecting the heritage of Walt without any regard to business trends or company stability. Disney should be run today exactly as it was forty years ago. The rest of the world has prgressed but Disney should stay exactly the same!

Blinders for everyone!

OK, Paradefreak - take a deep breath, breathe in....and out.... There, do you feel better now? :)
I know it may sound like we don't agree with Disney making money, but that's not the problem most of us find with these knock offs - it's that the quality is poor and that tarnishes the image of the company making it harder for the company we all love so much to be successful.
Also, how dare they put the series on The Disney Channel! Nothing should be done to boost the viewership for a cable channel competing against many others for viewers - Nick, Cartoon Network, etc.
Since I'm almost the only one who mentioned this, I must take exception to this comment. My original post was (a little sarcastically) trying to make the point that Disney *should* be putting stuff on the Disney Channel & that I was surprised that they hadn't figured it out sooner than this...

As for the DTV products, have you seen any of them? They're terrible! As a consumer the only way I can tell the company that I don't like a bad product is not to buy or rent it. Which is precicely what I'm doing.

Sarangel

Yep, God forbid you actually pay anyone to think! Who needs imagination in business anyway.

Sarangel - I was not at all upset when I posted. I do not need to breathe in, breathe out, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I was actually being extremely sarcastic, as is my nature, to get across my point. I am tired of some people on this board bashing Disney product before they have even seen it. There was a post awhile back where many posters joined in on bashing Lilo and Stitch and saying it would be a bomb and looked as moronic as Pokemon. This was before they had even seen the movie! Where are they now? The movie was wonderful. It had all the ingredients for a touching Disney classic. Now the company has decided to take advantage of its success and expand the story with a DTV sequel and a TV series. This is very smart in my opinion. Watch the release and then judge it. Don't sit back and bash the product months before you even get to see it. If you don't like it, watch something else.

It's not like Disney is only releasing DTV. Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove, and Lilo and Stitch were all well done. I will be there on opening weekend for Treasure Planet to watch and decide if I enjoy it. I am sure that some will and some will not. But wait until you view the product to praise it, rip it to shreds, or boycott. Make informed decisions rather than rash, half-baked, highly emotional ones.

By the way, I have purchased all of the DTV sequels and enjoyed them. I DO NOT expect as nor should anyone else, a theater equal quality product out of a DTV. It is DTV for a reason - weaker story, etc. They are fun and give you a little more to watch about your favorite characters. If you buy a DTV and then cry out "It's not as good as the original!" then shame on you. That would be like watching a cartoon on television such as Rugrats and then being incensed that it is not as well done as the major movie release.

Finally I will say that it would be very interesting to see what Walt would have done in this time. With the high returns possible on DTV, he too may have looked at his classics (many of which weren't really originally his anyway - but that's a seperate issue) for more money and stability.

Can't wait for July 23! Tarzan and Jane - a sequel (with TV footage) of my favorite Disney movie. I will be at the Disney Store on July 23 to buy my copy. I will just have to cross this threads picket line I guess.

Actually, there’s a real handy rule of thumb for pre-judging movies: anything made for shear greed has a 98.7% chance for being rotten. ‘Men in Black 2’, ‘The Scorpion King’, ‘Pearl Harbor’, ‘102 Dalmatians – The Animated Sequel’ – the rule works every time.

Excusing poor work by demanding that people simply accept lower quality (“If you buy a DTV and then cry out ‘It's not as good as the original!’ then shame on you.”) is not exactly a way to keep any brand’s imagine. No one wants to ask themselves is this movie is good-Disney or bad-Disney. People want the good stuff and they want it all the time. Churning out lower quality products and hiding it under a brand name simply burns out the public’s confidence in the value of the brand to begin with.

The direct-to-video product is treated at Disney with little care and even less effort. It’s made only to capture fleeting wisps of profit on its downwards spiral. The last ‘Aladdin’ effort lost money (according to rumor) because that franchise has been so thoroughly burned out by cheap productions. There is no excuse for cheap and lazy productions other than greed. They do tremendous damage to the brand and to The Company in a short amount of time. Anyone know if the ‘Care Bear’ company is still around?

Walt built up Disney’s brand through a series of original, high quality productions. The success of those films echoed back the company overall and benefited consumer products, music, the parks, and other areas of The Company. Without a sequel, people still watch ‘Snow White’ today.

But the current brand strip mining trades long term success for short-term profits. ‘Lilo’ is headed the way of a ‘Digimon’ franchise to be burned out in less than a year. That is not good for the future success of the company.

The DTV phenom is continually a topic of conversation among my family. My 13 year old daughter went on her own strike after seeing the LM 2. She has often asked me why Disney is cheapening their movies with crummy, poorly made videos.

This is the same girl who will some day have her own kids.

Great leadership is balancing profits while protecting the interests of the future.

Disney is cheaping their brand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter