Lilo & Stitch Video Sequel & TV Series

Mon ami AV:

We must agree to disagree. Paradefreak makes an excellent point, one that can be stretched out much like silly putty.

If Disney can make a sequel and make money with it, why not continue doing so? You give young animators from foreign countries the chance to earn American money, and give young sons and daughters of influential Hollywood executives the chance to prove that there is talent and not just DNA in their gene pool.

In fact, if Aladdin III *only* made a million or two, who are you to scoff at that? Have you ever made a million dollars for Disney? Never mind the fact that you may have created magic for the consumer, sir, the question is have you ever created shareholder magic?

Take Paradefreak's excellent point to its logical conclusion: Disney has failed us by not rushing out 10-20 Aladdin sequels to be distributed every six months or so. If Aladdin IV through Aladdin XX make an average of $1 million a piece in additional net revenue, that is a direct addition of $16 million to the bottom line over the next seven years.

Do you realize how many Superstar Limos can be cloned throughout the parks with just that addition to the bottom line? No, you probably want some fancy-schmancy Japanese Winnie-the-Pooh ride, slacker!

I for one am glad Disney allowed the creators of Lilo & Stitch to move on. Somewhere in Korea there is a happy mother congratulating her daughter for being the animation director on the next great Disney Direct to Video masterpiece.

The Baron leaves for a week or two, and already, M. AV, you forget the company mission statement? Shame on you. Walt's vision wasn't about creativity, quality, show or putting the customer first...it was about creating value for the shareholder, and at the same time giving the consumer the chance to view a weaker story, that is fun and gives you a little more to watch about your favorite characters.

I'll prove it with a quote:

Give the shareholder everything you can give them...We went into Disneyland just with the idea of making money./QUOTE]

Thank you, Walt.

Please, please, the only way we can insure that high-profit products like "Tarzan & Jane 2: Cheetahs Never Win" lead to "Tarzan v. Buzz XV: Space Ape-man" is for *all* of us to rush out on June 23rd and break through this insipid attempt at keeping profit out of the hands of the very capable Michael Eisner. For if he has no profit, we will no longer be able to cheer another purchase of quality outlets like Fox Family.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

I'm glad that this board is so supportive of new posters to it.

It's so refreshing that these same new people are not made fun of for trying to join in on the conversation.

It's really great that the newbies are not accused of being over-excited, compared to silly putty, or scoffed at for having an opinion different than the bitter minority.

I will not post here or read here again.

I believe in the Disney magic. I see it every time I watch a Disney feature, including DTV! I feel it everytime I visit an attraction, hear "Glimmering, shimmering,..." , or watch the newly revapmped and improved Illuminations.

My main point that everyone seems to be ignoring is:

View the feature, attraction, park, etc. before making a judgement. Many people on this board are ready to tear down DCA and lift Disney Seas to the heavens on a silk pillow. I suspect that some of them have never even been to either place. Many on this board were ready to throw Lilo and Stitch away before it even premiered.

Alrighty then...happy way to start the day!

I think most of us believe in Disney Magic, that's why a bunch of adults hang out on a Disney board...

It really isn't personal...just opinions...Seems you piped up with an ax to grind, people responded in same...

:(

On your main point –

It is a requirement of any piece of entertainment to be appealing to the audience. It has to make people want to see it. I’m sure you don’t go to the theater and watch each and every movie that comes out, read each and every book that comes out, or watch each and every television show that airs. You make a judgment beforehand about what looks interesting and good. Yes – even you pre-judge something before you even see it (as in “as moronic as Pokemon”, now a Disney property by the way). It’s part of show business.

People base a lot of their judgments on past experiences. As you’ve read in the posts, people are being burned by the low quality and cheapness of the Disney direct-to-video product. Their judgments about future purchases are being harmed. A brand is very hard to create but very easy to cheapen. That too is a part of show business.

I feel this particular section of the boards sees Disney from a business perspective, not from a fan perspective. You will not find a lot of gushing around here – but you will find plenty of people who love all things Disney as you do. There is a great difference between rational arguments about why things are good and statements that because one individual gets all tinglly at the intro music everyone else must be a hateful, bitter minority.

We too like “Disney magic”. We want it continue. It takes more than simplistic belief to create it. It takes hard work, talent, skill and a tremendous amount of drive. Very few people see evidence of those in the direct-to-video movies.

Since I may have been the one to cause the reaction, and I would hate to be considered a poster who runs off newbies, I would ask indulgence to address this.

As anyone who read my post could plainly see, I basically followed the same form as the 'newbie' did in the response the 'newbie' posted. I tried for the same spirit and exact same level of sarcasm. I thought, how could the poster get upset if I use the same style of writing as they did?

I never called paradefreak 'silly putty'. I said the point could be stretched like 'silly putty.'

And for Walt's sake, who did the namecalling? Why call some of us the bitter minority? Bitter about what? That we want the parks to be as good as they are today for our kid's kids?

That we want our kids to see a Disney movie on video or DVD when they are adults, and want to watch it with their kids without having memories of Lady & the Tramp VI: Scamp's Retirement Home Adventure?

postscript: Paradefreak accused us of dumping on Lilo before it came out. I want names, because all I remember was a bunch of us bitterminorities getting excited when AV first broke the news of the script and that it was flying under the Burbank radar. Come on, paradefreak, how 'bout a little friendly, no sarcasm debate here. ;) Try us, you just might have a little fun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter