"Little Mermaid" swimming to Broadway?

Greg K.

Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon
From VARIETY....very cool!!

'Mermaid' is Wright on course for B'way; Scribe offers Disney 'Little' help
By ROBERT HOFLER

From Pulitzer Prize to the Disney imprimatur, playwright Doug Wright is swimming in the fast lane with his new book for the long-gestating stage version of "The Little Mermaid."

After last week's internal reading, Disney Theatricals has approved the script and is now moving forward to a full production.

Wright won the Pulitzer Prize in drama last year for his bioplay "I Am My Own Wife," based on the life of German transvestite Charlotte von Mahlsdorf.

For the stage version of "Little Mermaid," Alan Menken has expanded on his 1989 film score and added several new tunes. Francesca Zambello is aboard to helm. Director Matthew Bourne and book writer David Ives had previously been attached to the project.

Although not officially announced, "The Little Mermaid" is expected to be ready for Broadway in about two years. By then, Disney should have two other new tuners playing Gotham. "Tarzan" also had an internal reading at Disney Theatricals last week, and it looks ready to open in spring 2006.

"Mary Poppins," now playing on the West End, should make it to Broadway the following season.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&a=VR1117922985&c=15

Sounds great, I am actually really looking forward to Mary Poppins coming to America!

I wonder if they are going to close Beauty and the Beast in the coming years?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter