Live Show Tapings - info. please

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
Hi all,

We are going to visit CA in Aug. and I already wrote a letter to the Tonight Show for tickets. Does anyone have any info, on other live shows and how to get tickets? What do you recommend?
Thanks.

On Camera Audiences (www.ocatv.com) handles ticketing for a lot of shows, including Craig Ferguson, America's Got Talent, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? and So You Think You Can Dance (though that one is very hard to get).

There is no cost, and you print out the tickets at home. Just be aware that admission is usually NOT guaranteed (it rarely is at tapings). Plan on lining up an hour or more in advance of the designated "arrival time".

I don't know if they still do this, but they used to be people standing in front of the Chinese Theater in Hollywood offering tickets to TV show tapings. Sometimes you can find them at Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax. But, as a previous poster mentioned, these tickets do not guarantee admission to the taping, even if you stood in line for one or two hours. I have been to tapings where they only allowed maybe the first five people in line, with the other seats going to friends of the production staff.

We got tickets to America's Got Talent for a date in July (Thanks to you guys!) How great of a chance is it that we will NOT get in? If you have a printed ticket, how can they turn you away? Do they give out too many?
How early do we need to arrive before the printed time on the ticket?

Thanks!

We got tickets to America's Got Talent for a date in July (Thanks to you guys!) How great of a chance is it that we will NOT get in? If you have a printed ticket, how can they turn you away? Do they give out too many?
How early do we need to arrive before the printed time on the ticket?
I haven't been to America's Got Talent, but my experience (from American Idol, Rock Star:INXS, Craig Ferguson and others) is as follows:

They can turn you away because the ticket probably states something to the effect that admission or seating is not guaranteed. This is because they issue more tickets than the studio capacity in order to insure a full house. Because there is no cost involved, ticketholders can change their minds about going with impunity. I'm sure there are quite a number of "no shows" at any given taping. So if the studio holds 700 people, they might release (I'm guessing) 800+ tickets to be on the safe side.

Also, they are usually not sure of the number of "house seats" that might be used on any given day. Producers, stars, advertisers, etc., typically have dibs on a certain number of slots. So if David Hasselhoff suddenly wants a dozen of his buddies to attend, that could cut into the number of spaces available to the General Public. (One time at Rock Star, so many "house seats" were claimed that I think less than 100 of us got in to a studio that held about 800! That was a worst case scenario; even OCA wasn't prepared for that.)

OCA has been doing this a long time, and they are pretty good about estimating the number of tickets they need to release. They certainly do NOT want to leave people out in the cold by denying them entrance. But there's only so much they can do. FWIW, when shows I've attended have gone over capacity, I've seen OCA offer people in line the opportunity to attend another taping -- of either the same or a different show -- with priority admission.

As for when to arrive: That is a tough question to answer. Obviously, the more popular the show, the earlier you should arrive. Since I like to sit/stand close to the stage, I usually arrive about 2 hours (give or take a half hour) before the arrival time stated on the ticket. If all you care about is getting in, then I think an hour should do it in most cases. You might want to give OCA a call to get an idea of the line situation with AGT.

Attending a taping can be really fun, exciting & interesting. It can also be a really sloooow process at times. Anyone who is prone to impatience should probably NOT attend.

Have fun! :cheer2:

I agree. There is often a lot of waiting in line and waiting in the studio. Some shows are more fun to attend than others, depending on what you expect to see.

Live shows are fun because no matter what they will have to start and end on time. Many of the live shows are talent contests so you get some form of performance and the drama of the contest.

With a nighttime talk show they usually go live to tape, meaning they are not broadcasting live but they tape it as if they are. These shows run like well-oiled machines. If the show is one hour, the taping will take one hour once it begins. (Not including checking everyone in, sitting down, and the warm up guy, which can take 2 hours or more.) Sometimes there are extra bits they tape for promos or something also.

Daytime talk shows often shoot a little more casually. They can reshoot a segment or take a while between segments to change the set. These usually take longer but can get more of a film set feel this way while they change the set. (If they do).

Sitcoms take even longer and are totally different. There will be more than one take most of the time and they will want you to laugh as hard the fourth time you see it as you did the first. These are the most "Hollywood" of the experiences since it is the most behind-the-scenes, film-like experience.

Audiences Unlimited handles several scripted and other shows, the number depends on how many are in production when you want to go. Many shows resume taping in August, like Two and a Half Men.

1iota handles Jimmy Kimmel, Carson Daly and a few more. Both of those shows often have their musical guests perform a mini-concert on an outdoor stage, where they can accomodate more people than fit in the studio. If you get show tickets you will also see the mini-concert. If you get mini-concert tickets you will watch the show being taped on screens until it's time for the music. If your show does have a mini-concert, they will often play up to 5 songs, so you will see some that never air. There are often nights when a particular show has not been fully booked. If this happens at Kimmel, you can just look at his studio (next to the El Cap, across the street from the Kodak/Chinese Theatres) and there will be someone at a little desk who will give you a ticket.

If it's a busy taping season there are often people passing out free tickets in front of the Chinese. Some tickets will be for that day, some for another day.

For any show with a live audience, be prepared to be asked to clap. A lot. My hands usually are a bit sore at the end.

Try to request well in advance.

If you have minors in your party check the age limit of the show you wish to see.

Make sure everyone in your party has a photo ID. They will check.

You will go through security. Metal detectors and they will look through your purse. Some will check large bags, cameras, cellphones, some won't, some will make you take them back to your car. Don't bring anything you don't need. Don't bring anything pointy. A friend of mine had a nail file taken away once.

Most audience companies overbook 10 to 15% because of no-shows, so get there early, especially if that show/guest of the night is especially popular.

If you MUST see the Tonight Show and don't get tickets for the date you want, you can go to the studio that morning. They will pass out a handful of tickets for that night's show at 8am. There may be people camped out overnight if they really want that ticket so there may or may not be a ticket for you this way.

Some tickets are guaranteed but most are not. Make you you read the fine print.

Also in the fine print of usually a dress code. Make sure you abide by it or they can turn you away or sit you waaaay in the back.

Dress nicely, it never hurts. They will not sit someone in the front who is wearing a ratty tshirt and ripped jeans. American Idol always pulls some cute, young things from the back of the line and sits them up front.

Beware the Bus. Some audience companies actually pay people to go. If you get a large group you can attend a taping as a fundraiser. (I did this in high school) These people get priority, so if you see a bus of 20 year-olds pull into the studio, they might just have taken up 48 of the seats had you hoped to get.

Thanks HungryBear. Do you have any experience with America's Got Talent? Is this considered a LIVE show? How long do you think the entire show will take? We are planning to arrive two hours prior to the time on the ticket, and hope to get in.
The dress code says, "hip, upscale". I would hate to think that if we have to go to the back that we look that bad! LOL
Thanks!

We went to America's Got Talent last year at a different studio. They say dress hip or upscale, but everyone was mostly in jeans and shirts. At that time the age limit was 10. It has now gone to 14. An hour show usually took 2 hour or more to tape. The season finale was done in 2 sessions, they emptied the theater after it was half over, and let a new group in. We had no problem getting in, but were in line at the time the tickets said, usually 2 hours or more ahead of taping.

I've never been to America's Got Talent.

Yes, they would like you to dress hip and upscale, some say "like you are going to a club," but I've never seen anyone turned away for not following it. I have seen people seated in the very last row who had obviously broken at least one of the rules. Some colors/patterns don't register well on camera so they will try to keep you as far away as they can. They don't want to pay a fee because your T-shirt says Budwiser, and they usually prefer their audience to just look nice. I have often seen people who did dress well get very good seats.

Because of the heat of the lighting they often turn the air conditioning up pretty high so a light sweater is never a bad idea. If you don't need it you won't care, but if you do need it and don't have it the day can be a lot less fun.

I agree with what has been posted so far except for the comment about Sitcoms. I found them to be some of the most fun tapings we have ever done, but I have a hard and fast rule about them, only go to established shows. By this I mean ones with four seasons behind them.

We saw Roseanne and Third Rock years ago and both were AMAZING! They ran straight through, only two scenes re-shot on both shows. The only add to time for Roseanne was extra scenes were taped because one of the daughters were away for college so her scenes from future shows were taped in bunches, Both casts were amazing fun and it really felt like we watched the full show.

The worst were several new shows (all forgetable and none made it very long for good reason) these were mostly because we didn't make it to the tapings we had originally chosen or my out of town guests set it up. The re-shot EVERYTHING it was awful!!

I agree most of the "Talent Shows" and Lat Night shows do tape clean and fast and are pretty great if you get the right talent. I have done Leno many times and got dragged to Rockstar:INXS.

How do they enforce the age limit? Children will not have a photo ID to bring. Do we actually have to bring a birth certificate?

Thanks!

How do they enforce the age limit? Children will not have a photo ID to bring. Do we actually have to bring a birth certificate?

Thanks!

Great question - we would love to see AFV but DD is 9yrs old. I have seen young kids on that show but the web site minimum age - 18yrs.

Great question - we would love to see AFV but DD is 9yrs old. I have seen young kids on that show but the web site minimum age - 18yrs.

oh no!!!! :eek: I read that the minimum age for that show was 10!!!!
My DDs will be 10, 9 and 9. So I was wondering how strict they were.
That is their FAVORITE SHOW OF ALL TIME!!! and I was going to surprise them......
I will be very sad if I cannot take them....

Anyone else know??

This is what I got off the website:

Americas Funniest Videos Tickets

Strict dress code enforced:
NO: Jeans, NO T-Shirts.
YES: Collared Shirts For The Men. Professionally Casual -Suits OK - NO Ties AND Definately NO Evening Attire!
IF NOT APPROPRIATELY DRESSED, YOU WILL NOT BE ADMITTED INTO THE STUDIO. THE AUDIENCE IS SEEN ON CAMERA. Remember, if you're here with someone you're not supposed to......well anyway, come have a great time.

So You're In Hollywood. Here's one of the great Hollywood things to do...see a live TV show taping and get to see yourself in the Audience.

And here's one of Americas classic shows that displays public blunders, mishaps, and all other hilarious screw ups is back (if it was you on the video - sorry but you were funny to laugh at).

Come join host Tom Bergeron (also host of Hollywood Squares) as he welcomes you into the audience of Americas funniest bloopers show.

Be there live as Americas funniest videos are all competing for the grand prize. You can be part of the jury that gets to select which video is the funniest of the show.

Combine this with your Hollywood Blvd. experience, just 5 minutes from here.

Once again please adhere to all dress code requirements.

Americas Funniest Videos Tickets

The minimum age for this event is 18.

This show is currently on hiatus (it is done taping for the season). TVTix.com does not provide seating services for Americas Funniest Videos. You may write for tickets from the good people at the following address: Americas Funniest VideosTickets, 100 Universal City Plaza, Bldg. 4250, Universal City, California, 91608. Tickets are also available for many other shows both up at Universal Studios (TV Ticket Booth), as well as in front of the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. (look for individual ticket bookers giving out tickets in front of the theater). Or if you wish, you may go back to the TVTix.com schedule page and pick a show that is available at TVTix.com 'online'. Come have a great time in Los Angeles. And remember: TV Tickets Are Always Free!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter