• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for feedback on our plans

buyerbrad

Mouseketeer
We will be in the Anaheim area from August 2 to 9th. Will be myself, wife, DD 4 and DD almost 2. Here is our itinerary (including park plans). Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Wed., Aug.2 - Arrival Day
- leave house at 6:30am Eastern time
- land @ LAX at 2:15pm
- get rental car
- go to Target/Walmart for supplies
- fast-food for dinner
- check-in at hotel and go to bed

Thurs., Aug. 3 - DCA
- Radiator Springs Racers FP X2 (parent swap later)
- TSMM
- California Screamin (just me)
- Fun Wheel
- Run for Soarin FP X 1 (parent swap later)
- Little Mermaid
- Luigis
- Maters
- Use RSR Fastpass (get Rider Swap and use)
- Eat Lunch @ Smoke Jumpers Grill
- Use Soarin FP (get Rider Swap and use)
- Get TSMM FPX3
- Disney Jr
- Turtle talk
- Monsters Inc
- A Bugs Land Rides X 4
- Parade 5:15???
- Use TSMM FP
- Carousel

Fri., Aug. 4th - DL (assumed 8am opening)
- Astro Orbiters
- Get 2 Star Tours FP & 1 Space Mountain FP
- Buzz Astro Blasters
- Autotopia (get Rider Swaps for later)
- Submarine
- Use Star Tours and Space Mountain FPs (get Rider Swaps for later)
- Get Buzz FPs
- Small World/Tea Cups (if time before 10am)
- TOON TOWN @ 10am
- Meet characters
- Gadget
- Roger Rabbit
- Lunch
- Small World/Tea Cups (if no time before 10am)
- Mickeys Map (FRI-MON only?)
- Carousel
- Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre
- Use Rider Swap FPs (Autotopia/Star Tours/Space Mountain)
- Captain EO
- 3PM parade - Soundsational Parade – Fri-Sun only?
- LEAVE PARK AND RETURN AT 7PM FOR PARADE AND FIREWORKS

Sat., Aug. 5th - Hollywood

- Grove and Hollywood BLVD

Sun., Aug. 6th - Baseball
- Oakland As @ Anaheim Angels afternoon game

Mon., Aug. 7th - Beach
- Huntington Beach

Tues., Aug. 8th - DL using Magic Morning

- Peter Pan
- Alice
- Dumbo
- Mr. Toad
- Pinocchio
- Snow White
- Tea Cups (if we didn't do it the first day)
- Canal Boats (not open during MM)
- Casey Jr. (not open during MM)
- Go for 2 Splash, 1 Big Thunder FP
- Jungle Cruise
- Pirates
- Haunted Mansion
- Pooh
- Meet Pooh characters
- Use Splash FP (get rider swap and use then)
- Use Big Thunder FP (get rider swap and use then)
- Tiki Room

Park Hop

- Frozen Show (3:30 or 5:30)
- Parade 5:15???
- Do attractions we missed on our first day

Wed., Aug. 9th - Departure Day
- Fly home

A couple things jump out at me:

You don't say what time you're arriving at the parks, and this will make a huge difference in getting all this done. Were you planning on being in line 30 minutes or so ahead of official opening?

On your Friday DL plan, it's very doubtful you will get all that done by 10 and have time to do your optional attractions. Small World and Nemo are both long rides and you can end up in line for a while with both of them.

There is no Captain Eo at DL.

On your MM, if you plan to do PP first, you must be among the very first in line at the gate -- especially since you have small children presumably in strollers, which will slow you down. Arrive at least 45 minutes ahead of MM opening if you really want to try this. Even then, you will probably have to wait in line for PP due to your strollers, as you will have to park them and get the kids out, by which time a line will have formed in front of you. PP gets a 30 minute line VERY quickly.

Have fun!

I don't know your kids' specific energy and stamina levels, but your plans sound a bit ambitious to me. Strollers at DLR can really slow you down when the parks are crowded, especially if the DLRR is still not open by the time of your trip. (Hopefully, it will be, but be prepared anyway.) Do your kids still take/need naps? What about pool time? If the weather is very warm then (the heat can really slow you down) or if your kids don't adjust right away to the time difference, be prepared to go with an alternate plan. Are you open to spontaneous magic? This happens quite a bit at DLR. Characters may walk by and interact with your children or your children may suddenly see something captivating -- and there goes 20 minutes of your schedule. You'll have a much better time with happy kids, even if you don't accomplish quite as much.

Don't start with Astro Orbitors! That's a waste of rope drop.

These are very packed plans; be prepared that you likely can't complete all of this.

Lastly, I'll be at that baseball game ok August 6! It's my birthday!

If you are doing Mickeys Magical Map do it right after toon town or small world. You will be doing a lot of back tracking trying to get to the tea cups and then back to the show.
Also, Nemo subs can be a rather long line. Even when the line seems short it's going to be around 20 minutes at least. In my opinion it's a skipable ride but it's personal preference. Just know it will take a bit of time.
I also don't know if I would do Astro Orbiters first but it does get a long line fast so if it's a must ride I guess it's best to do it early.
I think Disneyland is more of a laid back feel, especially California Adventure. Take your time and have fun. August can be hot there so take some breaks. We like taking the monorail to the Disneyland Hotel and just walk around when it gets hot. Have fun!

A couple things jump out at me:

You don't say what time you're arriving at the parks, and this will make a huge difference in getting all this done. Were you planning on being in line 30 minutes or so ahead of official opening?

On your Friday DL plan, it's very doubtful you will get all that done by 10 and have time to do your optional attractions. Small World and Nemo are both long rides and you can end up in line for a while with both of them.

There is no Captain Eo at DL.

On your MM, if you plan to do PP first, you must be among the very first in line at the gate -- especially since you have small children presumably in strollers, which will slow you down. Arrive at least 45 minutes ahead of MM opening if you really want to try this. Even then, you will probably have to wait in line for PP due to your strollers, as you will have to park them and get the kids out, by which time a line will have formed in front of you. PP gets a 30 minute line VERY quickly.

Have fun!

We will be doing roope drop all 3 days. Do you know where the closest stroller parking to Peter Pan is?

I don't know your kids' specific energy and stamina levels, but your plans sound a bit ambitious to me. Strollers at DLR can really slow you down when the parks are crowded, especially if the DLRR is still not open by the time of your trip. (Hopefully, it will be, but be prepared anyway.) Do your kids still take/need naps? What about pool time? If the weather is very warm then (the heat can really slow you down) or if your kids don't adjust right away to the time difference, be prepared to go with an alternate plan. Are you open to spontaneous magic? This happens quite a bit at DLR. Characters may walk by and interact with your children or your children may suddenly see something captivating -- and there goes 20 minutes of your schedule. You'll have a much better time with happy kids, even if you don't accomplish quite as much.

The 4 year old doesn't nap and the almost 2 does well when she needs to miss it. Our hotel is about a 20-25 minute ride away, so it's not very convenient to leave and come back. When we do leave on day 2 for a nap around 4, we plan to be back at the park around 7pm that night to watch the parade and fireworks.

Don't start with Astro Orbitors! That's a waste of rope drop.

These are very packed plans; be prepared that you likely can't complete all of this.

Lastly, I'll be at that baseball game ok August 6! It's my birthday!

I agree Astro Orbitors is a weird first choice, but I couldn't figure out where to start based on our goals for that day. Any suggestions? This will be my second time at an Angels game. I've actually been to the home stadium of every MLB team except Atlanta. This will be our 2018 summer vacation.

If you are doing Mickeys Magical Map do it right after toon town or small world. You will be doing a lot of back tracking trying to get to the tea cups and then back to the show.
Also, Nemo subs can be a rather long line. Even when the line seems short it's going to be around 20 minutes at least. In my opinion it's a skipable ride but it's personal preference. Just know it will take a bit of time.
I also don't know if I would do Astro Orbiters first but it does get a long line fast so if it's a must ride I guess it's best to do it early.
I think Disneyland is more of a laid back feel, especially California Adventure. Take your time and have fun. August can be hot there so take some breaks. We like taking the monorail to the Disneyland Hotel and just walk around when it gets hot. Have fun!

We normally visit Florida, so that is the only reason we will do the subs. Is it better to do Autotopia or Subs first?

There is a lot of stroller parking all over fantasy land and right outside Peter Pan.
I would probably get your Space Mountain and Star Tours FP and then head to subs then Autopia. You want to do Autopia before it's too warm and too many people since there isn't much shade while in line. I would pick up buzz Astro blasters after Autopia or after your FP is used. The line moves fast so it's not a bad wait (or get a FP).

I tend to get a Space Mountain Fastpass immediately after rope drop and then go directly onto the ride. With a little one I understand this won't be possible but I would get the FP first thing anyways. If you wait till after 4-5 rides to get the FP like you have listed You are looking at a 3-4 return time or maybe even later in the day.

Lots of people park their strollers next to King Arthur's Carousel which is right next to Peter Pan.

Keep in mind with the Royale Theater that it has been becoming increasingly popular so I would recommend getting there a tad early to insure best seating. So many people come at the exact start time and end up standing in the back in the sun, no thank you.

I tend to get a Space Mountain Fastpass immediately after rope drop and then go directly onto the ride. With a little one I understand this won't be possible but I would get the FP first thing anyways. If you wait till after 4-5 rides to get the FP like you have listed You are looking at a 3-4 return time or maybe even later in the day.

Lots of people park their strollers next to King Arthur's Carousel which is right next to Peter Pan.

Keep in mind with the Royale Theater that it has been becoming increasingly popular so I would recommend getting there a tad early to insure best seating. So many people come at the exact start time and end up standing in the back in the sun, no thank you.
The plan is to get them 2nd after Astro Orbitor and hopefully can use them after the other 3 rides if their time window has opened by then. Thanks for the Peter Pan parking location. We plan to leave the stroller there and carry her from ride to ride while we do all of Fantasyland.

What is the seating capacity? How are the views? Is it worth getting there early to be up front?

I'd guess the capacity is about 150, maybe 175 if people really squish. There's 4-5 rows of backless benches and some spots in front for kids. It's so small that you can see from every seat, the problem is that it fills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter