Looking for Toronto Airport Hotel for Layover? Positive experience - Sheraton Gateway

Dave in the Frozen North

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Hi Folks:

Thought I would pass on my VERY positive experience with Sheraton Gateway Hotel at the Toronto airport. There was a post on this Board a couple of week’s back which mentioned the Sheraton Gateway as one of optional Toronto Airport Hotels for a layover to Disney World. Based on our experiences I would highly recommend Sheraton Gateway.

We’ve stayed at Sheraton Gateway, coming and going from northern Ontario, to our WDW vacations sixteen times since 1992 and we kept going back because of the services, location, pool and hotel amenities. The price was also usually very reasonable for a first rate hotel at the airport.

Sheraton Gateway was also extremely convenient back when we travelled Canadian Airlines right out of Terminal 3 (you can put your summer clothes on in January, walk directly into the terminal from the Sheraton Gateway and not enter the outdoors again until you hit the warm Florida sunshine! Yay!) We kept staying at SG after Canadian Airlines folded because of the very reliable shuttle and baggage service.

In March of this year we had a fairly unpleasant experience for the first time, involving a horrible check-in and baggage fiasco. I had, at first, decided it was time for a switch. I then reconsidered and wrote a letter of complaint (first time ever for me). I received a call personally from the (new) hotel manager and experienced their new Sheraton Service Promise (the one they are currently promoting “If you’re not satisfied, we’re not satisfied – with discounts, points or money back). I was extremely impressed when I was offered an apology, a substantial number of Starwood points and a gift certificate. I was obviously very “satisfied”. We’ll continue going back.

After sixteen stays, I had my own reasons to recommend Sheraton Gateway in T.O. for an airport layover. After the very first class response to my complaint and the track-record for Sheraton Gateway I thought I’d pass on my comments to any fellow Canucks considering which hotel for airport layover to WDW.

Dave in the Frozen North

:cool:

Thanks for the review Dave! Nice to hear from you again.

Thanks for the review. I've always wondered what it was like.

Thanks for the review ... we will be overnighting there at the end of the month before heading onto Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise and then onto Orlando. From what I can gather, Air Canada flights operate out of Terminal 2 and you have to take a shuttle to Terminal 3 where the Sheraton is located. Is it easy to take the shuttle and is it quick? Thanks for any info.

Fo0oz:

Lucky you! Which cruise line? We sailed the Wind Surf in March from Fort Lauderdale and had a great time. (We stayed at a wonderful small hotel in FL - "The Pillars" overnight before the Cruise.) I liked Fort Lauderdale. It had been years since we had been there.

Next winter we're back to Disney though! 7 day Western Cruise. Can't wait.

It is no trouble at all moving from Terminal 2 to the Sheraton Gateway - it takes about same, or less, travelling time from Terminal 2 to Sheraton Gateway as any of the other airport hotels.

In the arrivals level there is the bank of phones with a direct line to Sheraton Gateway. They will tell you which post to wait at and usually it takes no more than 10 minutes or so and the dedicated Sheraton Gateway shuttle will pick you up and bring you to hotel direct.

Once, when we were travelling light, the inter-terminal shuttle bus pulled up and we hopped on. Since the Sheraton Gateway is right across from Terminal 3 - we just walked to the Gateway.

Have a great vacation.

Dave in the Frozen North.

Originally posted by Dave in the Frozen North
Fo0oz:

Lucky you! Which cruise line? We sailed the Wind Surf in March from Fort Lauderdale and had a great time. (We stayed at a wonderful small hotel in FL - "The Pillars" overnight before the Cruise.) I liked Fort Lauderdale. It had been years since we had been there.

Next winter we're back to Disney though! 7 day Western Cruise. Can't wait.
Dave in the Frozen North.
We'll be doing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary on the Grand Princess for our 10th anniversary. My brother and his fiance are also getting married onboard. Had given some serious thought to one of the Disney cruise ships but Princess was the only line to offer weddings onboard at sea by the captain. In the end, we got a great deal and lucked out ... top category mini-suite!! ... with a balcony!! :bounce: :bounce: After the cruise, it's off to Orlando for a few days at the Royal Pacific. :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks for the info on the Sheraton Gateway ... with the short layover in Toronto, we want to get checked in pretty quick for some shuteye before having a real early wake-up call for the trip down. Figure checking in at 6am :eek: for the 8am flight ... hopefully that is enough time given the new focus on airline security.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago before going to WDW and we were VERY happy we did. Very quick shuttle to and from terminal 2. The shuttle was ready quite early in the morning. We also got a good price through an internet special. For the price of the room we also got free parking for a week while we were away. The only glitch was leaving the parking lot when we found out that they had not given us the correct voucher the week before for the free parking. A quick phone call from the parking lot attendant to the front desk took care of that. All in all, two thumbs up.

Nagle

DH and I also stayed at the Sheraton Gateway several years ago. Although we only live 45 - 60 min. from Pearson, we had one of those early morning charters and wanted to see if it made a big difference staying near (very near!) the airport.

One of my brothers, who lives in Toronto, decided to come and visit us while we were there. We met in the bar, sat down in the bar, had a few drinks and snacks in the bar, and the next thing you know, they closed the bar!!! ;) Being in such good spirits.....holiday the next day and all...we decided to pick up the tab! :)

We both had a wee headache in the morning when we flew out, and things ended up being a bit more expensive then we had planned, but yes, it was a positve and fun experience!! :) Everything at the hotel went very smoothly. :)

Just curious-what kind of stopover rates can
be had?
What do they charge to park for 10-14 days
as well?

We're paying $160 plus tax for one night for four people ... 2 double beds ... otherwise you can get a rate as low as $119 plus tax for two ... I believe that was an Entertainment rate. If you book on the spg.com website, I believe they're also offering 500 extra bonus Starpoints. Ours is a AAA rate. I'm sure that there are better rates out there for hotels close-by but due to the short layover for us, it's more convenient for us to stay at the airport.

Good to hear that the hotel is a good one :)

Thanks for the info. Hope you have a great time.
Look forward to hearing how things go.

I'm assuming this is Canadian Dollars?

Best rate I could get for same next April was
$239 a night. I'll have to call CAA.

You probably won't be leaving a vehicle in
their park and fly?

Just wondering how much extra they charge
to leave you car there for 2 weeks.

Originally posted by mom_rules
Thanks for the info. Hope you have a great time.
Look forward to hearing how things go.

I'm assuming this is Canadian Dollars?

Best rate I could get for same next April was
$239 a night. I'll have to call CAA.

You probably won't be leaving a vehicle in
their park and fly?

Just wondering how much extra they charge
to leave you car there for 2 weeks.

Yes, it's in Canadian dollars ... glad it wasn't a US hotel or I'd be sleeping in the airport :p We are flying in from Alberta so no vehicle ... did you check to see if the Entertainment rates were out for the time period you wanted to go or was the $239 one it?

Time's a tickin ... hi ho hi ho it's holiday time we go ... :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks again.
The rate I got was from Expedia.
I have asked CAA to check into and
let me know what they can do.
Also asked that they check into
"entertainment" rate. It may
be a bit too early yet.
Thanks.

So far I can get $209/night (still no info on
entertainment rate)
They also told me costs $19/night to park
(Ouch-that's another $190 plus taxes).

Can anyone help?

Any other suggestion/recommendations
for one night stay-park n'fly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter