Love Bugs

jbaity

Earning My Ears
I just got back on the board, anticipating our trip Aug. 30-Sept. 3, thanks to Southwest's Florida Fares. (Too good to resist).

What exactly are these "love bugs" I keep reading about? Do they respond to any kind of repellant spray? We're staying at Dolphin and will be a Epcot and MK, mostly.

Give me some insight!

Well let's see...where should I start.

Love bugs are 1 bug formed from two smaller bugs..one male, and one female. They mate and obviously become joined as one. They can be annoying. Not sure if repellant works on them..can't see why not. If flying insect killer can kill flys, moths, etc.. why not love bugs? The only bad thing is they have a small bit of acid in their bodies, so if you get some on your car grill, make sure to wash them off because it will eat away at your paint. :(

Thanks for asking about these bugs. I was wondering the same thing myself.

We will be there Sept 1-8. I have been at WDW the last 2 years over Labor Day Weekend and never saw these bugs. Are they supposed to be bad this time of year?

From what I've read before, I believe September is their "busy" season. But, I also read that in dry conditions they don't breed well. Since Florida has been so dry lately, maybe they won't be so bad this September.

You really don't have to worry about love bugs unless you are driving. They make quite a mess on your windshield and grill, especially when driving on the highway. Otherwise, they don't sting or bite - they're just annoying. :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter