Love is “Universal”: Our Awesome Anniversary Adventures in Orlando (May 2015 TR)

Looks fun so far! I am amazed you think it's cheap to eat stateside LOL My hubby's family is Canadian and we have yet to travel up that way but it's on my bucket list! Never heard of Sweet Tomatoes either, so I will be checking that out on our first trip to USO next month! Can't wait to read more!

Yayyyy!!!!!! Another trip report from Gina. I'm in!

And WTG Steve on the weight loss.

Last edited:
To help narrow your scope.....October 10th to the 17th. Just sayin' :rolleyes1 .

We're even flying out of Buffalo for that trip. We could meet for dinner the night before :hyper2: ,

Turns out that weekend is kinda pricey :sad1: However, we could meet for dinner on the 9th regardless.

I'm actually now looking at a long weekend in early Nov. to take advantage of WDW free dining but mainly, I've been wanting to do/see the Christmas stuff for years. Osbourne Lights...Candlelight Pro....Christmas Party :santa:

I'll need to figure things out....I really enjoyed March Break so I'm going to do everything I can to make that happen again for 2016. Being away from work in the winter is an issue.

Loving your report so far. We were just at Universal at the end of March so I'm anxious to see your pics!

Really nice villa. Love the cathedral ceilings. Adds such a feeling of space.

You guys are taking care of business today, getting so much done. I had to double check this was the same day!

Can't wait to hear about Universal!

Looks fun so far! I am amazed you think it's cheap to eat stateside LOL My hubby's family is Canadian and we have yet to travel up that way but it's on my bucket list! Never heard of Sweet Tomatoes either, so I will be checking that out on our first trip to USO next month! Can't wait to read more!

Restaurant prices are much, much cheaper in the US versus home, plus the tax rate of Florida is half of what we pay here (Ontario tax is 13%). So you combine the lower prices with half the tax and dining out is a very good deal in America indeed!

You'll have to make the pilgrimage to the Great White North sometime to check our your hubby's Canadian roots. Its a beautiful country .... as long as you visit between May and October :rotfl: .

In all seriousness, I think Niagara Falls in particular is a place everyone should see at least once.

Yayyyy!!!!!! Another trip report from Gina. I'm in!

And WTG Steve on the weight loss.

Thank you! Glad to have you along! :goodvibes

I am definitely very proud of my big guy......he's worked really hard to slim down and get fit over the last four and a half months. Its especially rewarding to know he's feeling so much better as a result.

Turns out that weekend is kinda pricey :sad1: However, we could meet for dinner on the 9th regardless.

I'm actually now looking at a long weekend in early Nov. to take advantage of WDW free dining but mainly, I've been wanting to do/see the Christmas stuff for years. Osbourne Lights...Candlelight Pro....Christmas Party :santa:

I'll need to figure things out....I really enjoyed March Break so I'm going to do everything I can to make that happen again for 2016. Being away from work in the winter is an issue.

Have you never been to Orlando during the Christmas season before? Would you be able to bring the girls at that time of year, or would it be just you and your DH?

I'm still wondering if we're missing the boat in October by not taking advantage of our first opportunity to do MNSSHP. We'll be doing HHN for sure (with plans to book the RIP tour), but the Disney party is going to seriously add up with tickets, parking, food, and the dang exchange rate.

As for Christmas, we arrive the day after the last Christmas party. I would have booked that in a heartbeat!

Loving your report so far. We were just at Universal at the end of March so I'm anxious to see your pics!

Thank you! Welcome aboard! :)

Really nice villa. Love the cathedral ceilings. Adds such a feeling of space.

You guys are taking care of business today, getting so much done. I had to double check this was the same day!

Can't wait to hear about Universal!

Yes, our arrival day was definitely a full one ::yes:: . For a while we ran on complete adrenalin...especially when sleep was hard to come by the night before....but we started to grow weary later in the day. I think we could have slept through a hurricane that night!!

Love the villa! I wish even a building or 2 of SVR was pet friendly. Would stay there in a heartbeat!

Love the villa! I wish even a building or 2 of SVR was pet friendly. Would stay there in a heartbeat!

True story....someone last August had a small dog at the Fountains pool, all snuggled up in a pool towel with them as they sunbathed on a lounger. I actually had to look twice....thought it might be a toy until it moved and wagged its tail. I am guessing that the pooch was smuggled in without the resorts knowledge.

I am kind of surprised, too, that they don't devote one of the villages in its entirety to being pet friendly. I am guessing that the sins of a few spoil it for everyone else.

Followed you over from Orlando. Enjoying the details

Welcome! Hopefully I can help get you excited about your upcoming non-parks trip. We love the offsite attractions in Orlando, even more than some of the parks! :)

Friday, May 1st……part 4

Once we were all settled into the villa, we hopped in the car and headed down the I4 to the Universal parking garage. Despite it being a glorious Friday afternoon, there was no congestion nor delays along the way, and we were making the trek to CityWalk along the moving walkway in no time flat. We paid for standard parking for this visit (the cheapest option….once we activated our AP’s, preferred or valet would be free for the next one year) but even in mid-afternoon, we didn’t have a lengthy walk.

I love the seamless and organized way that Universal guests are ushered into Citywalk. We breezed through bag check, and voila!....we were here.

We were super surprised at how crowd-less it was. The parks were forecasted to be “moderate”, so we expected more people. Maybe they were all in the parks?

First stop was the concierge in CityWalk to exchange our purchase voucher for our annual passes. We had long since pre-purchased the passes, somewhere in the late October/early November time frame (I am a bit obsessive about having everything pre-paid in advance whenever possible…..it helps me enjoy the trip to know every cost is already covered). It turned out to be a good move on our part, though, as the value of our dollar declined dramatically thereafter, and the prices of the AP’s also increased in the spring. Sometimes, it pays to be a bit crazy :teeth:.

A very friendly young fellow was able to process our AP pick-up quite efficiently, but wasn’t able to provide us with the little booklet of extras that comes with our Premier Annual Passes (that includes the vouchers for the free bottles of water, Halloween Horror Night ticket, etc.). He apologized sincerely for his kiosk not being adequately stocked with that particular item, and indicated that we could pick up the booklets at Guest Services at either park. He also said he had just made notes to that effect on their computer system, so we wouldn’t have to worry about having to explain anything to the Guest Services agent that assisted us.

We headed to the Universal Studios gate with our hot-off-the-press AP’s in hand, and once into the park, stopped at Guest Services to pick up the perks booklets. True to his word, the Concierge fellow had put all the notes in in the system, and the second stop was as quick and painless as the first. With our ticket activation now crossed off our to-do list, we stopped at the gift shop by the entrance to purchase lanyards for our passes. With (hopefully) three Universal trips planned before they expire next spring, we figured the lanyards would be a good investment indeed.

There was no question as to which lanyard I was buying…..it was Minions all the way, baby. Steve had a tougher time, as there are so many characters at Universal that he loves (Spiderman, Simpsons, Transformers….even Harry Potter). In the end, he decided on Simpsons: it’s been a long-time favourite for both him and Jake, and I liked it the best of all his shortlisted options because it was so bright and colourful. We slid the passes in the pouches, sealed ‘em up, and wore our sparkly new lanyards right out of the store. Universal housekeeping item #2 completed! :banana:

Our final “chore” was to activate our Photoconnect Annual Pass. Again, I had pre-purchased this well in advance (October 2014) and again, my planning mania paid off in spades. We snagged the pass while it was still in its introductory stages at the crazy low price of $49.95 including tax. They confirmed before we purchased that one year of pass usage wouldn’t begin until it was activated, so we set our voucher aside and watched the months tick by. That same pass by presale now? $89.95….and again, our dollar has tanked so we’d be paying 25% exchange versus the 10 or 12% I paid last October. The Photoconnect location was right outside the Universal store, so after we picked up our lanyards, we hopped across the street and picked up our Star Card.

Once again, it was quick and painless….no lines, wonderfully friendly and efficient staff…..and we were already oozing to each other about how marvellous the customer service was (a theme that recurred all week long…..nothing but smiles, helpfulness, and a noticeable effort to ensure guest satisfaction. I know this will ruffle some feathers when I say it, but…..the TM’s at Universal this trip blew our most recent interactions with their Disney CM counterparts away. They all just seemed generally happy to be there, and their genuine enthusiasm was awesome. “Magical”, even. But I digress.).

We had our first park photo taken by one of the Photoconnect photographers who was just outside the store, since we had our shiny new Star Card just begging to be used.

This was the sum total of what we felt we had to get accomplished today. Sunday was planned to be our first full park day, and we just didn’t want to be fiddling with all the administrative things when we arrived for a day of fun at the parks. However, it was only mid-afternoon, and the temperature was so pleasant (low 80’s, no humidity, and a gorgeous breeze) that we decided we’d poke around for a bit for a preview of what we would enjoy later in the week. There were still about 3 and half hours before the parks closed for Grad Bash, and judging from what we could see, crowds were super light.

We weren’t really sure where to head first, but noted that Shrek was a walk-on…..so that officially became our first attraction of the trip.

Steve and I are both Shrek lovers, so this was a good kick-off to our time at Universal :thumbsup2.

After leaving Shrek, we meandered toward New York. We were wondering why the street was completely void of people (and why everyone was starting to line up along the sides) when we heard the music approach.

We couldn’t have timed that any better if we had tried. We stepped up onto the sidewalk (there were tons of empty places to stand with not a soul in front of us to block our view…..it was marvellously uncrowded!) and soaked in the Superstar Parade:

Yes, I may have shrieked a little when I saw the Despicable Me float! :hyper:

It was very cool to see Margo, Edith and Agnes on board!

A little side note: my mom’s name is Edith……and it’s a very old fashioned name that you never hear. In fact, other than my mom (and my paternal grandmother, who was also, ironically, an Edith) the first time I had heard it outside of a nursing home or the obituaries in the newspaper is when I watched Despicable Me. With such an uncommon name, never in my lifetime has my mom ever been able to purchase anything personalized (unless it was custom ordered, which she was always too frugal to do). As a result, she’s never had a single thing with her name on it. Imagine my excitement when we spy personalized Minion mugs in the Universal store, and the top of the display features mugs bearing the names of Margo, Edith and Agnes. Needless to say, one of those made the journey home to Canada for my mom, who is proudly drinking her morning tea from her prized personalized Minion cup while showing it off to anyone who will listen. I don’t think she would have been any more excited about her little gift if I had brought her home a live Minion itself!

What a cute little parade this was….even if I wasn’t 100% familiar with some of the “stars”. I have never seen Hop, and Jake is too old to have watched Dora the Explorer, but the floats were so colourful and well done that I could totally appreciate them nonetheless. The music was upbeat, the dancers were engaged with the crowd, and the characters were absolutely adorable. I found myself grinning from ear to ear as Steve asked hey, did you get a picture of that float? And .. look at that one! Is that a dancing chicken?

And as I type this, all I can hear going through my head is the “I want candy” song :upsidedow:

While the final float drove away:

….I spied something I knew Steve would enjoy. A ride on the Mummy was up next. And I discovered a Christmas store.....with Minion decorations! :p

I love the story about your mum - "Go Edith!," :cheer2:

Please tell me about the Mummy, I am no roller coaster fan and my 2 keep saying it is very tame, apart from when it goes upside down! Which is definitely a no no.

This is a great Trip report. Love your story about your Mom and the mug. "Go Edith." indeed.

Love the Edith story...........and wow you can really see Steve's weight loss in those pics!!! Congrats!!

We have always found the Universal TM's to be amazing........friendly and so helpful......I'm glad you saw the same.........

The parade is cute.......we like it and will always watch it if we are around........

Enjoying reading along.......:thumbsup2

Welcome! Hopefully I can help get you excited about your upcoming non-parks trip. We love the offsite attractions in Orlando, even more than some of the parks! :)
I checked out your past TR for reviews. I'm interested in the Orlando Eye although I'm not sure I would be ok with it.
We loved US, the parade was so cute. Can't wait to go back

Yay the Superstar Parade! Fun!

That is so cute about the mug for your mom. Mugs are the only souvenir I let myself buy when I'm in Orlando (Mugs are amazingly useful around here, toothbrush holders, pencil holders, watercolor rinsing jars, oh yeah and to drink out of!) I so want them to make a Fluffy Unicorn Mug, still haven't seen one yet.

You guys look great in that picture.

Have you never been to Orlando during the Christmas season before? Would you be able to bring the girls at that time of year, or would it be just you and your DH?

I'm still wondering if we're missing the boat in October by not taking advantage of our first opportunity to do MNSSHP. We'll be doing HHN for sure (with plans to book the RIP tour), but the Disney party is going to seriously add up with tickets, parking, food, and the dang exchange rate.

As for Christmas, we arrive the day after the last Christmas party. I would have booked that in a heartbeat

No...never been there for Christmas or even close. I would really love to be able to not be at home for the Christmas drama and I've tried but the months of Nov/Dec are the busiest of the year for me at work so it's near impossible to get away then. A couple of years ago DH ended up with 6 days off starting on the 23rd of Dec and he tried to talk the girls into going to FL but they were having no part of it that year. That year I actually could have taken the time off. I'm sure it will be a long time before calender works out like that again.

The girls would not be able to travel with us. I would like to be able to try and continue to take a trip every year with just DH and I. Although, I learned a few things last year. The older DD was not told to take care of her sister....so basically she didn't. Part way through our trip the youngest sent me a text saying that her sister had gone out until at least 1am and she was not feeling OK about being home alone that late. Needless, to say that's when the worrying started. So in future I will need to be very clear about my expectations of what happens at home.

I've been to MNSSHP and it's a lot of fun. What I gather is that it's better than MVMCP but I still need (OK, really it's a want) to tick it off my list. I think if I were you I would just stick with doing Universal this year. You've already paid for it so save the WDW parties until you need to purchase tickets again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter