Luau Attire / Shop for Hawaiian Shirts / Sit down restaurants

TahoeTessie

Disney Fan
Are there any Hawaiian clothing shops near Aulani that have a huge selection of Men's shirts for luaus? Back in the day, Hilo Hatties was the place to buy Luau shirts and if I remember correctly, they have dozens and dozens of patterns to choose from. My sister says Hilo Hatties is too far (37 minutes minimum drive time), so is there any large stores near Aulani that aren't expensive and have decent cotton shirts? Everything on Amazon is crappy polyester, spandex and hot.

What is the dress requirements for the table service restaurants (Makahiki) at Aulani? Is it formal, semi-formal or casual and since it is in Hawaii, do people wear shorts and a nice top?

A few years ago on previous trips, we found a decent collection of shirts at Costco in Kapolei, maybe 10 minutes from Aulani.

Are there any Hawaiian clothing shops near Aulani that have a huge selection of Men's shirts for luaus? Back in the day, Hilo Hatties was the place to buy Luau shirts and if I remember correctly, they have dozens and dozens of patterns to choose from. My sister says Hilo Hatties is too far (37 minutes minimum drive time), so is there any large stores near Aulani that aren't expensive and have decent cotton shirts? Everything on Amazon is crappy polyester, spandex and hot.

What is the dress requirements for the table service restaurants (Makahiki) at Aulani? Is it formal, semi-formal or casual and since it is in Hawaii, do people wear shorts and a nice top?
Aloha Tessie! Exciting times! Unfortunately, Hilo Hattie closed down maybe a few years ago. Yes it was far, near Aloha Tower area and in the opposite direction but rest assured there is a place I highly recommend for Aloha Attire and please don't laugh...Costco. There is one in Kapolei about 5 minutes from the resort and is the best spot to get an Aloha shirt that of course isn't from one of the shops in Aulani. But if you're up to spending that $ on an Aulani Aloha Shirt, by all means!

Dress code for any of the spots is as casual as you want to be. There are guests who dress up, and those who just come straight from the Beach. If you can afford the bill, you come how you wish! That's resort life. For the Lu'au, of course you dress up a little even though it is on property but most of the guests come in aloha attire (Dress shorts or pants and Aloha shirt (slippers or shoes are ok) and ladies dress either in a dress or something of that nature. If you go off property like to Monkeypod or Roy's, you step it up a little. Nice slacks and a nice t-shirt or polo shirt or even an aloha shirt should suffice.

Hope this helps! =)

Aloha Tessie! Exciting times! Unfortunately, Hilo Hattie closed down maybe a few years ago. Yes it was far, near Aloha Tower area and in the opposite direction but rest assured there is a place I highly recommend for Aloha Attire and please don't laugh...Costco. There is one in Kapolei about 5 minutes from the resort and is the best spot to get an Aloha shirt that of course isn't from one of the shops in Aulani. But if you're up to spending that $ on an Aulani Aloha Shirt, by all means!

Dress code for any of the spots is as casual as you want to be. There are guests who dress up, and those who just come straight from the Beach. If you can afford the bill, you come how you wish! That's resort life. For the Lu'au, of course you dress up a little even though it is on property but most of the guests come in aloha attire (Dress shorts or pants and Aloha shirt (slippers or shoes are ok) and ladies dress either in a dress or something of that nature. If you go off property like to Monkeypod or Roy's, you step it up a little. Nice slacks and a nice t-shirt or polo shirt or even an aloha shirt should suffice.

Hope this helps! =)
Not meaning to hijack the OP's thread, but do they really not allow hats at the luau? Why? It's not indoors...

Walmart also has Hawaiian shirts (made in Hawaii) and in my opinion, they had a better selection than Costco. My Hawaiian tour guide is the one who suggested I try Walmart and she was right, I bought 5. 😂

Hats are allowed at the Aulani luau.
This is what the voucher that I just got says:

"ATTIRE: Casual attire recommended. * MEN: Baseball caps/ board shorts/ swimsuits/ ripped or torn jeans/ tank tops and sleeveless shirts are not allowed. *WOMEN: baseball caps, swimsuits, and ripped or torn jeans are not allowed."

Maybe they aren't enforcing it? Honestly, it's not a big deal, but I am definitely a hat wearer in most cases....

This is what the voucher that I just got says:

"ATTIRE: Casual attire recommended. * MEN: Baseball caps/ board shorts/ swimsuits/ ripped or torn jeans/ tank tops and sleeveless shirts are not allowed. *WOMEN: baseball caps, swimsuits, and ripped or torn jeans are not allowed."

Maybe they aren't enforcing it? Honestly, it's not a big deal, but I am definitely a hat wearer in most cases....
In the past, I wore a Disney-themed baseball cap that matched the theme of my Hawaiian shirt. I didn't know there was a hat rule.

Currently their website says they are located at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. So maybe they re-opened?
Sorry about the mixup but I assume they have a shop there at Ala Moana but their Flagship Store closed and is now a FEDEX Hub. Hilo Hattie isn't really a place where many locals get stuff from, especially Aloha Attire but it makes sense. If you are looking to go to a mall for Aloha Attire, Macys. =) All depending on the age range, the Quicksilver Aloha Attire is always popular with our locals. There are local t-shirt brands that are out there such as Hawaii's Finest (They have a store at Ka Makana Ali in Kapolei), but it all depends on the taste. For value and quality, Costco's selection is very good!

I don't have any idea if they have a B&M store anymore, but I get email ads from them all the time.
I think this is in Waikiki along Kalakaua Ave. or...is that H & M? Too lazy to google.

Walmart also has Hawaiian shirts (made in Hawaii) and in my opinion, they had a better selection than Costco. My Hawaiian tour guide is the one who suggested I try Walmart and she was right, I bought 5. 😂
Walmart? Never would I ever! But....for a one night thingy...I guess! When I chaperoned by daughter's High School Luau I went to Walmart to buy a pitiful Orange Aloha Shirt just for laughs... If you do go to Walmart though, next to Costco, they have the best priced Hawaii themed chocolates and snacks! Never buy from ABC Stores ever!

In the past, I wore a Disney-themed baseball cap that matched the theme of my Hawaiian shirt. I didn't know there was a hat rule.
Thanks for the real-world experience. I will have to decide if I should follow the policy or follow my lack-of-hat-wearing-phobia :)

Walmart? Never would I ever! But....for a one night thingy...I guess! When I chaperoned by daughter's High School Luau I went to Walmart to buy a pitiful Orange Aloha Shirt just for laughs... If you do go to Walmart though, next to Costco, they have the best priced Hawaii themed chocolates and snacks! Never buy from ABC Stores ever!
Why is that? Is this due to quality/prices, or some moral objection? Seriously asking for your local opinion. Thanks.

Why is that? Is this due to quality/prices, or some moral objection? Seriously asking for your local opinion. Thanks.
Just the quality. Nothing wrong with Walmart as that is my go to for household goods and better prices for grocery goods with the exception of produce/meat/etc. No moral objection. With so many things being expensive, Walmart will has the best bang for your buck! But again, for Aloha Shirts, that is not the spot for me. I'm a Macys Quicksilver guy. =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter