Lu'au Choices and Opinions

lizard1

DIS Veteran
I have been doing some reading on some of the Lu'aus on Oahu and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these:

Germaine's Lu'au
Paradise Cove Lu'au (I think this one is the closest, but that is not relevant to my decision)
Polynesian Cultural Center ("Ha: Breath of Life" show)

Also if anyone has any information about the handicap accessibility of any of these it would be appreciated.

I really enjoyed Ha at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Have not been to the others. It's like a cross between a luau show and a Broadway show, with a plot about love, family, and the circle of life. Reminded me of The Lion King...without the lions. :) Our tickets came with the Island Buffet, which was very meh - edible but nothing special.

I have been doing some reading on some of the Lu'aus on Oahu and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these:

Germaine's Lu'au
Paradise Cove Lu'au (I think this one is the closest, but that is not relevant to my decision)
Polynesian Cultural Center ("Ha: Breath of Life" show)

Also if anyone has any information about the handicap accessibility of any of these it would be appreciated.
There must be more than a dozen threads asking this same question. At least two or three on this first page alone.

There must be more than a dozen threads asking this same question. At least two or three on this first page alone.
I have seen a lot of talk about the Paradise Cove Lu'au, but not much on the others.

I was also looking for information pertaining to the handicap accessibility of any of the lu'aus I mentioned, which I haven't seen discussed on any recent threads. If I have missed that in the posts, could you please link those posts, as it could be a deciding factor in the lu'au we may book.

this has recently come up in a couple of other threads here. i have previously stayed at and attended the fia fia luau at the marriott (walking distance from Aulani) and enjoyed it. I will go back to that on my next stay. Paradise cove was removed from one of the coupon sites due to declining quality, so I would research that choice carefully. I will try to find the link on that again -- I posted it on other threads previously.

the marriott luau is on the grassy area behind the hotel. my recollection is that it would be easily accessible from the hotel. But I can't recall how convenient the parking would be to make that work. Even if you wanted to, I think the luau area is only accessible from the walking path via stairs. But I am assuming if you want handicapped info you wouldn't walk from Aulani anyway?

this has recently come up in a couple of other threads here. i have previously stayed at and attended the fia fia luau at the marriott (walking distance from Aulani) and enjoyed it. I will go back to that on my next stay. Paradise cove was removed from one of the coupon sites due to declining quality, so I would research that choice carefully. I will try to find the link on that again -- I posted it on other threads previously.

i saved that very helpful link you posted, @vikequeen ! here it is: https://www.hawaiidiscount.com/oahu/luaus/paradise-cove-hawaiian-buffet.htm

We went to the PCC Breath of Life show in Dec 2015 and really liked it. I was not a big fan of the expensive Prime Rib Buffet (as part of the Ambassador option) though. I could have just eaten in the shopping area and gotten better food.

the marriott luau is on the grassy area behind the hotel. my recollection is that it would be easily accessible from the hotel. But I can't recall how convenient the parking would be to make that work. Even if you wanted to, I think the luau area is only accessible from the walking path via stairs. But I am assuming if you want handicapped info you wouldn't walk from Aulani anyway?
We could still walk, depending on the path. If it is paved, it wouldn't be an issue to take a wheelchair along it, but it would be much different if it was a cut through on the beach. However, if the lu'au is only accessible via stairs, that definitely won't work. Thanks.

We went to the PCC Breath of Life show in Dec 2015 and really liked it. I was not a big fan of the expensive Prime Rib Buffet (as part of the Ambassador option) though. I could have just eaten in the shopping area and gotten better food.
I think this may be the show that I saw there is a handicap seating area for. Do you recall noticing it, and if so was it a decent view?

We could still walk, depending on the path. If it is paved, it wouldn't be an issue to take a wheelchair along it, but it would be much different if it was a cut through on the beach. However, if the lu'au is only accessible via stairs, that definitely won't work. Thanks.
It is a really nice wide sidewalk. very wheelchair accessible. But the distance might be further than you want to take it. And I can't recall if there is a ramp. It might be worth a call if you are considering this option. The food at the luau was ok -- but I didn't expect great food. The show was very good.

There is a ramp to get to the Marriott property from the pathway between resorts. If I remember correctly, it begins near Longboards (which is their waterfront restaurant on the edge of the property.

In the attached image (if it uploaded correctly), Longboards is the squarish building on the bottom left. The luau is in the circular grassy area to the right of Longboards.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 11
There is a ramp to get to the Marriott property from the pathway between resorts. If I remember correctly, it begins near Longboards (which is their waterfront restaurant on the edge of the property.

In the attached image (if it uploaded correctly), Longboards is the squarish building on the bottom left. The luau is in the circular grassy area to the right of Longboards.
That doesn't seem too difficult to work with. Thanks for the visual!

There should also be a shuttle that takes you throughout Ko Olina. It was still running when we were there in May 2015. It's run by Ko Olina, and just stops at all of the places in the resort (hotels, shopping, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter